GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Sorority Recruitment (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=217)
-   -   Upperclassmen rushing at College of Charleston (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=228591)

michelle_18 05-02-2017 12:02 AM

Upperclassmen rushing at College of Charleston

Hey! I am transferring from Charleston Southern University to College of Charleston next semester. Greek life was not big there at all so I did not rush. I'll be a junior next semester at College of Charleston and am really wanting to rush to meet new people, but am nervous about the chances of getting into a sorority as a junior. Is there a chance of me getting into a good sorority as a junior or should I just not rush? Also is there an upperclassmen quota sororities have to fulfill at College of Charleston during rush?

michelle_18 05-02-2017 01:44 AM

also:

Oh and I forgot to mention that I am a Delta Gamma legacy as well as Delta Zeta (even though I know DZ isn't at COFC figured I would still mention it.). I don't know if the legacies will help with recruitment too?

carnation 05-02-2017 08:19 AM

A good sorority?

AZTheta 05-02-2017 08:40 AM

OP, let me be blunt (not harsh):

What do you bring to the table that a potential four-year member doesn't bring? Because, right off the bat, financially you're not contributing as much (and it is not free to operate a sorority). Scales are tipped heavily towards freshmen. Is your GPA a 4.0 or close to it? That will help. If it's sketch, say like a 3.0 or below, well... not going to help. What activities have you participated in at your current campus?

Your comment about wanting to rush to meet new people - well then go ahead and rush, you'll meet new people. Actually you want to rush to get into a good sorority, though - right? Which brings me to the following:

Your comment about "a good sorority" is going to rub everyone here the wrong way. Because we don't play that way. Frankly, as a junior, any sorority that offers you a bid is a GREAT sorority.

Please contact the Greek Life Office for answers to your questions such as "upper classmen quota". Remember that because there might be such a quota, no sorority is obligated to fill it. It's an OPTION (correct me if I'm wrong, Titchou and other GCers who know more about recruitment regulations).

Good luck.

Sciencewoman 05-02-2017 08:43 AM

It touches a nerve here when PNMs ask about "good" sororities, because all sororities offer the same opportunities for sisterhood and lifelong involvement. Alumnae may be offended if PNMs feel they're not interested in a chapter of their sorority on a particular campus, due to some perception of what's "good" or "not good."

That being said, you will never know unless you try. Obtain recommendations for each of the sororities, including a legacy recommendation for Delta Gamma. Again, avoid using the word "good" or passing judgment on certain groups -- obtain recs for every sorority and be thankful to each alumna for her assistance in helping present you to her sorority.

Call the Greek Life office and ask about any upperclass quota, and if they have any knowledge of how challenging it is to receive a bid as a junior transfer. There aren't any guarantees, but information is power, and it doesn't hurt to ask. Do you have any friends in sororities or personal contacts who may be familiar with College of Charleston?

Most importantly, keep an open mind to all groups. While we don't know anything about the personal characteristics and strengths you have to offer a sorority, rushing as a junior is typically more challenging, and there may be groups who are more focused on freshmen.

TLLK 05-02-2017 10:44 AM

Hi michelle18-Take the advice of the members here and contact the Greek Life office about recruitment as a junior. Then get your recommendations in order and go through recruitment with an open mind.
In addition to asking any friends and family who might attend the school you can check out the sororities' social media and websites to see if their programs interest you. (Personally I'd avoid certain Greek gossip sites as they're unlikely to give you a true picture of the organizations.)

ladybug12 05-03-2017 05:02 PM

Michelle18,
COC is a beautiful campus and I hope you will enjoy your time there. Just remember that college NPC sorority membership is an experience mostly based on freshmen entering the system. You will be 2 years late to this process and take that advice to keep your options open to all chapters on campus, not just those that you perceive as "good". NPC membership is for a lifetime, not 2-4 years.