GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Entertainment (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=205)
-   -   XM vs Sirius (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=94584)

RBL 03-13-2008 02:11 PM

XM vs Sirius

I am contemplating getting one of these services. The receivers are really at low prices now and $12.95 is not a bad monthly price

For you guys that have either service.. please share your thoughts on which is the better service, bad experiences...etc...

Thetagirl218 03-13-2008 02:37 PM

I have had both XM and Sirius radios, and I currently have Sirius. Sirius is by far my favorite. They have great sports stations for the sports I enjoy, NFL and NASCAR. I love their music stations, commercial free and they have great DJs. When I had XM they had turned their music stations into commercial ones and had no DJs. I also like Sirius because of their software which can hold up to 30 songs or artists and alert you when they are playing. Sirius always has non-stop weather and traffic channels for most metro areas.

I do miss some of XM's music channels like Cinamagic, which has movie soundtracks.

XM and Sirius are merging in the the next year, and I don't know yet what changes that will bring.

Are there any specific things you are looking for in the service?

RBL 03-13-2008 02:48 PM

Honestly I want a change from regular radio.. I have an ipod so I can listen to what I want.. but I have been wanting to try out satellite radio for a while. i picked up brochures on both and they seem comparable but Sirius might be where I'm leaning.

Since they are merging maybe I should wait?

skylark 03-13-2008 02:53 PM

Is the merge for sure? I thought they were still seeking approval under antitrust laws... (going to check google search...)

If I had a choice, I'd choose Sirius in order to get Martha.

ETA: From the news articles I'm reading, it seems as if the merger is still very much up in the air.

DaemonSeid 03-13-2008 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skylark (Post 1617500)
Is the merge for sure? I thought they were still seeking approval under antitrust laws... (going to check google search...)

If I had a choice, I'd choose Sirius in order to get Martha.

The very latest on the merger

http://us.f305.mail.yahoo.com/ym/Sho...VScan=1&Idx=49

dukedg 03-13-2008 04:23 PM

I have XM and love it. Being a Duke alum and all, it is important for me to be able to listen to Duke games in case I'm driving during one of them! I think XM and Sirius each have rights to some NCAA conferences and some other sports stuff. I know XM has the ACC and Pac10, not sure who else...

Benzgirl 03-13-2008 06:04 PM

I love my XM!

smiley21 03-13-2008 06:26 PM

I had XM for three and a half years. I have had Sirius now for almost one year. Sirius is better BY FAR. There is a great selection of stations. It is just better than XM.

AOIIalum 03-13-2008 07:05 PM

I've had Sirius for almost two years now and love it. Lots of sports channels, although both the SEC and NHL moved to XM this year, although occasional games are still broadcast on Sirius. They'll also carry the entire NCAA tournament! If you're into the NFL they carry every game each week, and most of those are home and away broadcasts. Great music channels, especially my beloved First Wave and the all Bruce Springsteen channel (which includes concert broadcasts two or three times/day!) Before Bruce there was an all Rolling Stones channel and an all Who channel. There are also dedicated channels for Elvis Presley, Frank Sinatra and the Grateful Dead.

Oh, yeah, there's also this guy named Howard Stern who used to be on terrestrial radio and now has two channels on Sirius. I'll be honest, he's why I picked Sirius.

ETA: it's even cheaper if you go with a longer term vs. paying by the month. I think I'm paying less than $10/month by doing that.

AnchorAlumna 03-13-2008 07:32 PM

I LOVE my XM radio!
I listen to a lot of the decades: '40s, '50s, '60s, '70s...(what can I say, I'm a geezer!)...and a lot of the Broadway channel.
Couple of things I do NOT like...the '60s channel is set up like a radio station from the 1960s...a bad one, with the DJ screaming and talking over the start and end of a song. We listened to the old radio program channel and a couple of the comedy channels during a recent trip and were surprised to hear a lot of advertising. I thought they had no advertising.
And Jimmy Buffett's Margaritaville channel (Buffett and TropRock music) is only on Sirius :(.
Do call and ask for the best deal paying a year at a time. My husband got the XM subscription for me for Christmas and only paid $77 for the year. Good deal!
Just wish I had it on a radio at work & home. XM's Web site sux...it's hard to figure anything out on it.

angelic1 03-13-2008 08:35 PM

I have had Sirius for over a year now.. and I love it except for one thing - I have just had problems with the antenna on my roof everyonce in a while. Once again its out and I need to take it in. :(

Other than that when it is working I love the talk radio.

SWTXBelle 03-13-2008 09:49 PM

I love my Sirrius. The Martha Stewart channel has lots more cool shows than you might imagine, lots of different music genres, the NPR stations and comedy.

Tippiechick 03-13-2008 11:30 PM

SIRIUS.

I have a sirius for my car and one at work. They keep me sane. I love listening to FoxNews, Margaritaville, 80s, etc. while working. (And, everyone at work knows about my obsession with the Elvis channel!) Max LOVES the kid channels. Husband loves the comedy and sports.

We have XM through DirectTv at home. I FAR prefer Sirius to XM.

texas*princess 03-13-2008 11:43 PM

Get HD radio.

It's free.

RBL 03-14-2008 08:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by texas*princess (Post 1617774)
Get HD radio.

It's free.

hmmm let me research this option also