GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Greek Life (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Top Newbie Questions (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=70883)

adpiucf 09-29-2005 01:58 PM

Top Newbie Questions

This started out just for fun... What are some of the most frequently asked questions asked by new posters to GC/and what are the best and/or most humorous responses?

But it seems like we should keep a tally so....

New users, please use the SEARCH function before you post. I swear on all things holy that your question has probably been answered 100 times on this site. And if you have questions about Greece or the Greek language, we're not that kind of Greek Chat.

Can you tell me about the reputations of the sororities at ______University? NO. Reputations are personal opinions, and you're much better off going though recruitment and seeing for yourself which the best sorority is--- it is the one where you can most be yourself. We don't like to discuss individual sorority chapter reputations on Greek Chat or "name names."

Do the sororities have national reputations? NO.

I have horrible grades. Can I get into a sorority? NO.

I'm 35 and I have 2 kids. Am I eligible to join a sorority. YES. But you'll probably have fewer options because you may not find much in common with the more traditional students.

Are sororities like what I have seen on TV? Or the book Pledged? NO. We are social and service organizations and the sterotypes you see on TV or read about are not an accurate portrayal for 99% of Greek Life Organizations.

I am an initiated member. Can I drop out and join another national sorority? NO.

Can I join a sorority if there isn't a chapter of it at my school? NO.

Is it true that all sororities haze? NO. All sororities have strict anti-hazing policies. If you know of an organization on your campus violating these policies, contact the campus Greek Adviser.

What kind of a time committment is a sorority? VARIES. Weekly mandatory meetings, semesterly community service hours and study hours, as well as membership retreats. If you have a packed schedule and are pursuing multiple degrees, you may not have the time you would like to have for the bare minimums of membership, let along the "fun stuff" like the social events and date parties. Go through sorority recruitment and learn more about what is expected of the members at your school.

How do I join an NPC sorority? Register for Sorority Recruitment at your university.

How do I join an NIC fraternity? Go through Rush.

How do I join a D-9? Ask an NPHC member in real life. Research the hell out of the organizations in the D-9 before you do.

How do I learn more about sororities and fraternities in general? All of the groups have national Web sites. It is a good place to start.

How do Greeks choose their members? VARIES. But it's private information and we're not going to tell you.

Is it true that X number of women living together constitutes a brothel, and that's why they don't have sorority houses at my university? NO. There is no such thing as a brothel law.

Can I join a collegiate sorority after college? DEPENDS on the organization and it's generally a lengthy process that can literally take years, if it happens at all.

Are there non-collegiate sororities? YES.

Why does it seem like everyone on Greek Chat jumps down my throat whenever I ask a question? We've head it 1000 times before. Use the SEARCH function. You don't need to bump a 6 year old thread. You can start a new one. But you may get your questions answered by searching first and then clarifying.

emleepc 09-29-2005 02:40 PM

"Can you tell me about the reputations of the sororities at ______University?"

AlphaFrog 09-29-2005 02:46 PM

Question: I want to be an XYZ at the most competitve school in the county. I have a 1.3 GPA, I was in the Nerd Club in HS and president of the Antisocial Society. I bought my philanthropy round clothes at Goodwill and my pref dress at Hot Topic. Since XYZ is the top tier, what are my chances?

Answer: You have 2 chances: slim and none

JenMarie 09-29-2005 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by mcellpe
Question:

"I have a friend who was recently initiated into the NPC affiliated ABC sorority. She discovered she made a HUGE MISTAKE and now wants to drop out and join the NPC affiliated XYZ sorority. Can she do this?"

Answer:

No.

To vary it...

"I made this HUGE mistake by joining NPC ABC. I was forced to leave and now I want to try rushing again. Can I?"

It's still no.

Jill1228 09-29-2005 03:31 PM

Another answer: 2 words HELL and NO! :p

Quote:

Originally posted by AlphaFrog
Question: I want to be an XYZ at the most competitve school in the county. I have a 1.3 GPA, I was in the Nerd Club in HS and president of the Antisocial Society. I bought my philanthropy round clothes at Goodwill and my pref dress at Hot Topic. Since XYZ is the top tier, what are my chances?

Answer: You have 2 chances: slim and none

AlphaFrog 09-29-2005 03:32 PM

Q:My mom, sister, aunt and cousin are all XYZ-NPHC members...how do I join?

A: Ask them [lock]

JenMarie 09-29-2005 03:51 PM

I'm a senior at Super Competitive College USA. I'm a double major in quantum physics and astronomy and plan to take the [insert big science test] this semester. Would I have time to join?

Answer:
If you don't have time to sleep, you probably shouldn't join up.

33girl 09-29-2005 05:18 PM

Why are there so many mean people on GC?

AchtungBaby80 09-29-2005 05:26 PM

This thread is great. After you've seen the same question umpteen times, it starts getting ridiculous. Here's one...

"I really, really, really wanna join a sorority, but I heard they all haze! Is that true?"

Sure it is, and we drop you into a coffin during initiation, too, just so you know. :p

Lindz928 09-29-2005 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by 33girl
Why are there so many mean people on GC?
I'm not sure this question has an answer. The closest I have come to is, "Some people enjoy being mean to others for no reason."

OtterXO 09-29-2005 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Lindz928
I'm not sure this question has an answer. The closest I have come to is, "Some people enjoy being mean to others for no reason."
LOL...I'm totally falling into the mean category today, but I have a reason!

tunatartare 09-29-2005 05:46 PM

Why are all XYZ's so fat?

Erik P Conard 09-29-2005 05:52 PM

not mean...

after all, we can't all be mean..
like Tommy Earp and me...
we are dollinks
quite a catch
yep, neat
top tier
yep

tunatartare 09-29-2005 05:55 PM

I really, really, really wanna be in an NPHC sorority, but I don't know which one. Can I rush all of them? Also do you think I can wear a pink suit with a green top to AKA's rush? And I'm white, do you think that will hurt my chances?

rocketgirl 09-29-2005 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by KLPDaisy
Also do you think I can wear a pink suit with a green top to AKA's rush? And I'm white, do you think that will hurt my chances?
LMAO...the sad thing is that people say stuff in REAL life. I know a girl that wanted to go a certan NPHC sorority really bad. Anyway, she went to every event in their colors. I kept telling her that wasn't the smartest thing to do but she swore that I didn't know what I was talking about since I wasn't NPHC.

Needless to say she didn't make it...