GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Recruitment (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   UT rushing as a sophmore (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=243503)

Stemo984 04-29-2018 03:24 PM

UT rushing as a sophmore

Hi, I know it is very competitive to rush as a junior at University of Texas at Austin but can Y'all give me any tips on what to say, how to stand out, how to approach the girls, and very important how to get letters of recommendation? It is a little unclear to me how to get letters. I am very aware that is competitive because I will be competing with 18-year-olds and they are more PNM than I am. I'm still doing recruitment because I don't wanna miss out on this opportunity! life is short!!

carnation 04-29-2018 03:48 PM

Do a search on the site.

thetalady 04-30-2018 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stemo984 (Post 2456075)
Hi, I know it is very competitive to rush as a junior at University of Texas at Austin but can Y'all give me any tips on what to say, how to stand out, how to approach the girls, and very important how to get letters of recommendation? It is a little unclear to me how to get letters. I am very aware that is competitive because I will be competing with 18-year-olds and they are more PNM than I am. I'm still doing recruitment because I don't wanna miss out on this opportunity! life is short!!

Answers to those questions is exactly what we answer on this site. These questions have been asked & answered here many, many, many times before! Do some google searching and you should come up with plenty of insight to UT Austin Greek life! GOod luck.

Stemo984 05-01-2018 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thetalady (Post 2456106)
Answers to those questions is exactly what we answer on this site. These questions have been asked & answered here many, many, many times before! Do some google searching and you should come up with plenty of insight to UT Austin Greek life! GOod luck.

I was doing credit conversions and I actually qualify as a sophomore because of my major. I have greater chances now because I know for a fact that there is a sophomore quota there. That doesn't mean they will use it so I gotta do my best! I really want to be the first one in my family to start a legacy

carnation 05-01-2018 10:25 AM

Keep your options really open because sometimes sororities choose not to use an upperclassman quota. It's optional for them.

Stemo984 05-01-2018 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carnation (Post 2456123)
Keep your options really open because sometimes sororities choose not to use an upperclassman quota. It's optional for them.

Exactly, I gotta have impressive qualities (which I think I do) and meet girls ASAP so they vouch for me. My options are very wide open not going to lie, I do not like to be biased.

AZTheta 05-01-2018 11:15 AM

Be open to every chapter at UT. As far as upperclassman quota, in addition to what carnation said, I'd add that many "true sophomores" going through UT have a year under their belts on campus (so to speak), and have formed connections with actives in the chapters. This is a fact, and one that will help you deal with any cuts/releases you'll receive.

You've probably read through threads on UT here and elsewhere. So you should have a good understanding of what you're facing. And the threads on how to obtain recs are very helpful!

The bottom line is that you are going into one highly competitive system. Good luck!

Stemo984 05-01-2018 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AZTheta (Post 2456126)
Be open to every chapter at UT. As far as upperclassman quota, in addition to what carnation said, I'd add that many "true sophomores" going through UT have a year under their belts on campus (so to speak), and have formed connections with actives in the chapters. This is a fact, and one that will help you deal with any cuts/releases you'll receive.

You've probably read through threads on UT here and elsewhere. So you should have a good understanding of what you're facing. And the threads on how to obtain recs are very helpful!

The bottom line is that you are going into one highly competitive system. Good luck!

---Okay, so I signed up for a Panhellenic group in my area. Fortunately, a lot of alumnae live near me. I also got an Internship at Rice University, do you/everyone think that would make me stand out from the rest?
---I am being very open-minded about this process but I do plan on doing recruitment, don't want to miss out on this for sure.
---Since I changed my major I am still going to be considered a freshman until fall 2018

NYCMS 05-01-2018 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stemo984 (Post 2456141)
---Okay, so I signed up for a Panhellenic group in my area. Fortunately, a lot of alumnae live near me. I also got an Internship at Rice University, do you/everyone think that would make me stand out from the rest?

Re: standing out. Remember, most girls going through recruitment will have outstanding resumes, great personalities, dressed very well, etc. It's extremely competitive at a school like UT as you have pointed out so many resumes are filled with just as many amazing things.

My experience is that the best way to stand out, past having the best resume you can have and getting solid recs, is to genuinely look to connect with the girls in each house. Focus on getting to know them, be a good conversationalist, don't be a conversation hog. Dress your best. Be eager and excited but not desperate. I've seen girls want to be in a house so badly that you could sense it and that's a sure way to turn members off.

I'll end with this advice: be committed, but detached. Yes, want to be in a sorority with all your heart, but also go and enjoy the process with no attachment to any house or even to being Greek. You really have to "let go" and enjoy it, that's how you'll do your best. Good luck.