GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Greek Life (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   # of NPC sororities per campus (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=105569)

oldu 05-25-2009 02:40 PM

# of NPC sororities per campus

I have just completed some research on the number of N.P.C. groups on each campus and I think the results may surprise many of you. First, there is a total of 661 institutions that list N.P.C. sororities, which amazed me because that means that the largest N.P.C. group has chapters at only approximately one-fourth of all N.P.C. campi. Secondly, the overwhelming majority of institutions have five or less N.P.C. sororities. Thirdly, only 4% of women going through rush (at only 26 institutions) have the opportunity of being introduced to at least half of all N.P.C. groups.

At 76 institutions only one N.P.C. sorority is listed; 98 have 2; 129 have 3; 105 have 4; 74 have 5; 50 have 6; 20 have 7; 25 have 8; 17 have 9; 10 have 10; 16 have 11; 5 have 12; 5 have 13; 9 have 14; 2 have 15; 5 have 16; 2 have 17; 0 have 18; 1 has 19; & 2 have 20.

With an average of 8.47 N.P.C. groups per institution, Pi Beta Phi meets the largest number of N.P.C. sororities. They are followed closely by Kappa Alpha Theta, Delta Gamma, Kappa Kappa Gamma and Delta Delta Delta. The smallest number is Theta Phi Alpha with 3.49 and Alpha Sigma Tau with 4.07. Those two, plus Alpha Sigma Alpha, Delta Phi Epsilon and Phi Sigma Sigma, are at a number of single chapter institutions. I have the complete list if anyone is interested.

A few other observations stood out: Miami U. has more N.P.C. groups and Bowling Green has the same number as a much larger Ohio State. O.S.U., along with Michigan, Michigan State, Minnesota & Wisconsin, have a huge number of inactive N.P.C. groups. The same is true on the west coast with Cal, U.C.L.A. & Oregon.

Anyway, the above N.P.C. sorority trivia gives us something to talk about during the summer hiatus when not much Greek life is occurring.

lovespink88 05-25-2009 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldu (Post 1811975)
With an average of 8.47 N.P.C. groups per institution, Pi Beta Phi meets the largest number of N.P.C. sororities. They are followed closely by Kappa Alpha Theta, Delta Gamma, Kappa Kappa Gamma and Delta Delta Delta. The smallest number is Theta Phi Alpha with 3.49 and Alpha Sigma Tau with 4.07. Those two, plus Alpha Sigma Alpha, Delta Phi Epsilon and Phi Sigma Sigma, are at a number of single chapter institutions. I have the complete list if anyone is interested.

I'm always interested in stuff like this, but can you explain this further? ^^ I don't quite understand it.

oldu 05-25-2009 03:24 PM

There is an average of 8.47 N.P.C. sororities at institutions where Pi Phi has chapters; 8.39 where Theta has chapters; 8.34 for Delta Gamma & 8.27 where Tri Delt chapters exist; etc. There probably was better way to list it. Sorry.

pshsx1 05-25-2009 05:19 PM

Quote:

Those two, plus Alpha Sigma Alpha, Delta Phi Epsilon and Phi Sigma Sigma, are at a number of single chapter institutions.
Delta Phi Epsilon is the only NPC on our campus! Funny that you mention that :P

And, since you said Miami has the most NPC groups, that explains why it was such a shock when my chapter visited and the sorority houses never seemed to end.

33girl 05-25-2009 05:41 PM

More veiled sorority superiority statistics! How jolly! :rolleyes::rolleyes:

epchick 05-25-2009 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 33girl (Post 1812013)

That's what oldu does best! :rolleyes:

agzg 05-25-2009 06:43 PM

Ugh. Seriously? Why is it so surprising that some smaller campuses have more sororities than larger campuses? Take a look at total and the percentage of greeks in the student population at schools and I'm sure it won't be so shocking.

Stupid threads are stupid.

violetpretty 05-25-2009 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pshsx1 (Post 1812008)
And, since you said Miami has the most NPC groups, it sure was shock when my chapter visited and the sorority houses never seemed to end.

I thought Penn State had the most.

Kevin 05-25-2009 08:58 PM

Have you done this sort of research with regard to NIC-like fraternities?

I'd actually be really interested to see where everyone ranked.

ThetaPrincess24 05-25-2009 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 33girl (Post 1812013)

lol!

PiKappUKY 05-25-2009 10:03 PM

Do you have a list broken down by conference, such as the SEC? I know UK is at 14 and we're adding two more this fall and next fall.

pshsx1 05-25-2009 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by violetpretty (Post 1812044)

heh, misinterpreted this:

Quote:

Miami U. has more N.P.C. groups and Bowling Green has the same number as a much larger Ohio State.

KSUViolet06 05-25-2009 11:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by violetpretty (Post 1812044)

That's what I thought as well, either that or Illinois.

That Miami stat is false.

ThetaDancer 05-26-2009 07:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 (Post 1812102)
That's what I thought as well, either that or Illinois.

That Miami stat is false.

I don't think he's saying Miami has the most chapters of any college in the country. I think he's trying to say that Miama has more chapters than say, Ohio State, which is a larger school (therefore people would assume it would have more chapters). He didn't word it very clearly.

jennyj87 05-26-2009 03:34 PM

Quote:

I have just completed some research on the number of N.P.C. groups on each campus and I think the results may surprise many of you. First, there is a total of 661 institutions that list N.P.C. sororities, which amazed me because that means that the largest N.P.C. group has chapters at only approximately one-fourth of all N.P.C. campi. Secondly, the overwhelming majority of institutions have five or less N.P.C. sororities. Thirdly, only 4% of women going through rush (at only 26 institutions) have the opportunity of being introduced to at least half of all N.P.C. groups.

At 76 institutions only one N.P.C. sorority is listed; 98 have 2; 129 have 3; 105 have 4; 74 have 5; 50 have 6; 20 have 7; 25 have 8; 17 have 9; 10 have 10; 16 have 11; 5 have 12; 5 have 13; 9 have 14; 2 have 15; 5 have 16; 2 have 17; 0 have 18; 1 has 19; & 2 have 20.

A few other observations stood out: Miami U. has more N.P.C. groups and Bowling Green has the same number as a much larger Ohio State. O.S.U., along with Michigan, Michigan State, Minnesota & Wisconsin, have a huge number of inactive N.P.C. groups. The same is true on the west coast with Cal, U.C.L.A. & Oregon.

Anyway, the above N.P.C. sorority trivia gives us something to talk about during the summer hiatus when not much Greek life is occurring.

areyou sure about these numbers? it was my understanding that chi omega had the most chapters...?