GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Sorority Recruitment (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=217)
-   -   What happens on bid day if you don't get a bid? (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=127807)

nataliec 07-12-2012 09:43 AM

What happens on bid day if you don't get a bid?

If you don't get a bid, will you even make it all the way to bid day, or will they eliminate you before it and let you know not to go? And if you do end up at bid day without a bid, what do you do? Just stand there when everyone opens their bid cards?
Also, I'm planning on rushing at the University of Arkansas, which is very competitive. I've heard that lots of girl don't get into sororities. Can anyone tell me how many girls don't get in each year, like what percent of all the girls that rush?
Thanks in advance!

Titchou 07-12-2012 10:04 AM

First of all, there is no standard percentage of women who are not placed. Everyone who makes it to pref has the potential to be placed if she has maximized her options. They will explain how all that works when you get there for recruitment orientation. Be mindful of all that is said "officially" and ignore all the tent talk and gossip. If you have questions, ask your recruitment counselor. Attend all events and consider each group carefully.

And you will be contacted if you don't have a bid prior to the bid day event. They do not let women show up and not get an envelope. How rude would that be?!?!

nataliec 07-12-2012 10:22 AM

Okay, thanks. Yeah, I was thinking that would be so rude, but I wasn't sure how it worked! Lol, glad to know they contact you beforehand.

AXOrushadvisor 07-12-2012 12:30 PM

There are also 2 new groups colonizing this year at Arkansas so if you did happen to get released you could always check out the colonies. There will be some more options this year for any women who dont get placed. Be prepared, have fun, fully participate and you'll do fine! Good luck.

Always AlphaGam 07-12-2012 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nataliec (Post 2158089)
If you don't get a bid, will you even make it all the way to bid day, or will they eliminate you before it and let you know not to go? And if you do end up at bid day without a bid, what do you do? Just stand there when everyone opens their bid cards?
Also, I'm planning on rushing at the University of Arkansas, which is very competitive. I've heard that lots of girl don't get into sororities. Can anyone tell me how many girls don't get in each year, like what percent of all the girls that rush?
Thanks in advance!

Quote:

Originally Posted by nataliec (Post 2158103)
Okay, thanks. Yeah, I was thinking that would be so rude, but I wasn't sure how it worked! Lol, glad to know they contact you beforehand.

Related thread: What To Do If You're Released From Recruitment

To the OP, just go into rush with an open mind and have fun! Good luck!

DeltaBetaBaby 07-12-2012 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nataliec (Post 2158089)
I've heard that lots of girl don't get into sororities.
Thanks in advance!

This is not true. The vast majority of women who don't end up in a sorority drop out of recruitment when they don't get the chapters they want. They do not get dropped by all chapters.

nataliec 07-12-2012 01:07 PM

Quote:

This is not true. The vast majority of women who don't end up in a sorority drop out of recruitment when they don't get the chapters they want. They do not get dropped by all chapters.
Is this true at Arkansas also? Because from what I've heard, about 1500 girls rush and each chapter only take about 100. I'm not sure if that's accurate or not. I'm also concerned about rec letters? I won't be going to college until fall 2013 though, so I have time to get anything I need during my senior year.

33girl 07-12-2012 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nataliec (Post 2158149)
Is this true at Arkansas also? Because from what I've heard, about 1500 girls rush and each chapter only take about 100. I'm not sure if that's accurate or not.

That's because women DROP OUT - not because all the chapters cut them. Many of those 700 women could have found a place in a sorority if they would have stuck with rush the whole way through. If there are (ridiculous number for emphasis) 8000 women at pref, and 8 sororities, each chapter will have a pledge class of 1000. There is no "cap" on how many members a chapter can have at Arkansas.

Always AlphaGam 07-12-2012 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nataliec (Post 2158149)
Is this true at Arkansas also? Because from what I've heard, about 1500 girls rush and each chapter only take about 100. I'm not sure if that's accurate or not. I'm also concerned about rec letters? I won't be going to college until fall 2013 though, so I have time to get anything I need during my senior year.

Quota at Arkansas last year was 130. You do the math.

DBB is right, the vast majority do drop out because they go in thinking "I only want to be an ABC or XYZ," and they don't give the other chapters a chance...so they choose to drop out.

Quit mindfcuking yourself about something that might not even happen. Work on getting admitted first. Enjoy your senior year and keep your grades up.

nataliec 07-12-2012 06:42 PM

Yeah, you guys are right. I think I'm just freaking myself out too much. I'll probably be back in a year freaking out on here again, but until then, I'm gonna go enjoy my last year of high school!

ZTA1550 07-12-2012 08:20 PM

I think you are very smart to be planning ahead for recruitment. Instead of worrying about recruitment a year in advance, enjoy your senior year. Keep your grades up, start figuring out who you can ask to write recs for you when the time comes, brush up on your conversational skills and just, in general, concentrate on making yourself the best "YOU" you can be!

Stay in touch! There are plenty of lovely ladies on this board who will help you along the way.

arrowlady 07-12-2012 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZTA1550 (Post 2158274)
I think you are very smart to be planning ahead for recruitment. Instead of worrying about recruitment a year in advance, enjoy your senior year. Keep your grades up, start figuring out who you can ask to write recs for you when the time comes, brush up on your conversational skills and just, in general, concentrate on making yourself the best "YOU" you can be!

Stay in touch! There are plenty of lovely ladies on this board who will help you along the way.

Excellent advice, especially on the grades! Can't believe how many of my D's friends let their grades slip so much their senior year.

Xidelt 07-13-2012 12:22 AM

Also, stay involved in activities that showcase your talents and offer leadership opportunities. Sororities are looking for accomplished, well-rounded members who want to take an active part in the organization.