GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Recruitment (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Weird rush stories (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=11313)

thetalady 02-04-2013 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roselove (Post 2201625)
We had a girl rush with wearing glasses! I know some people cant wear contacts but you would think she would at least have taken them off for rush.
They were not flattering to her face as well.

What a nasty, superficial comment...

summer_gphib 02-04-2013 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roselove (Post 2201625)

We had a girl rush with wearing glasses! I know some people cant wear contacts but you would think she would at least have taken them off for rush.
They were not flattering to her face as well.

Another rush was wearing clothing that was clearly from goodwill. It was so bad she smelled like a used clothing store. You would think she would have a friend to borrow a dress from or at least find a way to minimize the smell. Whenever asked a question about liking something she replied with "No". After trying to find out something to talk about a sister asked her what she liked to do for fun she replied "Pretty much anything, I enjoy everything"......right:confused:

I'm calling shenanigans!

thetalady 02-04-2013 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by summer_gphib (Post 2201657)
I'm calling shenanigans!

And I am with you....

KD4Me 02-04-2013 06:47 PM

Rosebud, I suggest that you delete your posts and start over with this forum. Without intending to offend, you have indeed offended. Your last post was more offensive to me than your first. It is unacceptable to post a picture of a person to explain why you thought a PNM's eyewear was inappropriate for your party. For the record, I don't see anything wrong with the picture you posted. They would not be the type I would choose for myself, but if someone else likes them, that's her (or his) choice.

For your sake, I hope that you are never diagnosed with an eye condition not correctable by contacts or surgery. I don't know how you would manage.

If you are new to greekchat, you might find it helpful to lurk a bit before posti more.

WCsweet<3 02-04-2013 07:44 PM

For what it's worth, those types of glasses are very popular in my neck of the woods. Yay for living in Hipster central.

summer_gphib 02-05-2013 08:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WCsweet<3 (Post 2201717)
For what it's worth, those types of glasses are very popular in my neck of the woods. Yay for living in Hipster central.

Not to totally derail this thread, but glasses can be a great conversation starter as well. They can be really cute, unique, and show a bit of personality even in formal events!

SigKapSweetie 02-05-2013 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by XOcarnation (Post 2201769)
When I got bumped, I tried to transition the conversation away from witchcraft, but apparently that is all she talked about to our entire bump group about.

Awkward. PNMs, religion can be a touchy subject regardless of what beliefs you hold. A polite mention of your involvement in youth group activities, church fundraisers, etc. would likely not go amiss, but spending the entire party talking about ANY religion with all of your rushers is not your best conversational move. Did this girl end up getting a bid anywhere?

chi-o_cat 02-05-2013 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SigKapSweetie (Post 2201789)
Awkward. PNMs, religion can be a touchy subject regardless of what beliefs you hold. A polite mention of your involvement in youth group activities, church fundraisers, etc. would likely not go amiss, but spending the entire party talking about ANY religion with all of your rushers is not your best conversational move. Did this girl end up getting a bid anywhere?

Also, when someone says she has not gotten involved with anything on campus due to her religion (or job, or relationship, or any other reason), it might make the recruiter wonder if she has time for a sorority or even would make the effort.

MaryPoppins 02-05-2013 10:40 AM

Sounds like Miss Wiccan was in recruitment because of strong arming by her mother or some other relative.

summer_gphib 02-05-2013 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MaryPoppins (Post 2201799)
Sounds like Miss Wiccan was in recruitment because of strong arming by her mother or some other relative.

My first thought would be her interest in rituals...

naraht 02-05-2013 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by summer_gphib (Post 2201803)
My first thought would be her interest in rituals...

I personally wouldn't expect much influence from either modern wicca or any particular Northern European nature related symbolism in any GLO rituals. I'd expect influences from Masonry, Greek/Roman Mythology, the Bible (either the New Testament for a Fraternity like ATO, or the Jewish Bible for ZBT), Egyptian Mythology for the HBCUs as well as Mythos from the Culture for various Cultural Fraternity and Sororities. (Asian for aKDPhi, Native American for Alpha Pi Omega, etc)...

AlphaFrog 02-05-2013 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by naraht (Post 2201808)
I personally wouldn't expect much influence from either modern wicca or any particular Northern European nature related symbolism in any GLO rituals. I'd expect influences from Masonry, Greek/Roman Mythology, the Bible (either the New Testament for a Fraternity like ATO, or the Jewish Bible for ZBT), Egyptian Mythology for the HBCUs as well as Mythos from the Culture for various Cultural Fraternity and Sororities. (Asian for aKDPhi, Native American for Alpha Pi Omega, etc)...

But the Wiccan rushee wouldn't necessarily know that.

MysticCat 02-05-2013 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlphaFrog (Post 2201811)
But the Wiccan rushee wouldn't necessarily know that.

And archetypes are archetypes.

FSUZeta 02-05-2013 11:55 AM

But was she a good witch....or a bad witch?

naraht 02-05-2013 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FSUZeta (Post 2201816)
But was she a good witch....or a bad witch?

Well, rather than allowing a girl who had gotten lost to make her way safely home, the witch hid information from her forcing her to travel a long way almost getting herself and her dog killed several times. I dunno, good witch or bad witch? ;)