GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Greek Life (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Wearing Letters (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=247288)

Kdbruin 09-05-2020 10:50 AM

Wearing Letters

I am curious as to whether women on your campus or sorority wear their letters or greek apparel. When I was at ULCA Many years ago it was not considered cool to wear shirts and sweatshirts with your letters. Instead for events we would wear shirts with our sorority spelled out. I noticed on Instagram a lot of the girls wear UCLA apparel instead of sorority apparel (unless it is Bid Day or an event). As a woman who didn’t rush until she was a senior (I was a transfer student), when I went through formal rush I was surprised at how many of my classmates were actually greek! I wanted to participate in informal recruitment prior to formal recruitment but I didn’t think I knew anyone in the greek system. Maybe things have changed but I felt like at UCLA there was greek life when you were on sorority or fraternity row and then there was your academic life on campus.

FSUZeta 09-05-2020 11:49 AM

interesting. In many parts of the south, sorority members often wear sorority t-shirts (including party shirts), letters, hoodies, and jackets to class.

ZTA72 09-05-2020 12:18 PM

I still wear my letters discretely of course at my age! I am so proud to be a ZTA of Zeta chapter!!

carnation 09-05-2020 12:25 PM

I do too!

ASTalumna06 09-05-2020 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kdbruin (Post 2479100)
I am curious as to whether women on your campus or sorority wear their letters or greek apparel. When I was at ULCA Many years ago it was not considered cool to wear shirts and sweatshirts with your letters. Instead for events we would wear shirts with our sorority spelled out.

It's interesting that you say this. Now I'm realizing that when seeing collegiate members recently - my chapter's social media, convention, etc. - there are rarely stitched letters being worn, and more often, our sorority name is spelled out.

Even looking at the shirts, sweatshirts, etc. on AST's online store, there are very few stitched-letter options. https://ast-emerald-boutique.myshopify.com

Cookiez17 09-05-2020 01:08 PM

At the two campuses I went to you saw people wearing letters everywhere. We even had a day called "jersey thursday" At this specific university, all the sororities had hockey jerseys with letters on them in their specific colors and the fraternities had baseball jerseys. All the orgs would wear these around campus. If you were a new member and didn't have a jersey yet, you would just wear a pair of letters you had.

At least now that I graduated I wear my letters or various t shirts around the house, but I have a Tri Delta hat I wear everywhere.

33girl 09-05-2020 01:34 PM

It’s to get around the “no drinking in letters” bs. Not to mention some chapters say you can’t wear letters if you’re looking grubby. Women aren’t going to pay $60 for a sweatshirt they’re only “allowed” to wear at certain times.

Kdbruin 09-05-2020 03:07 PM

You would think it would be encouraged to wear letters to class to market the sorority to pmns-especially a chapter who needs to COB. I never did buy a sweatshirt with the large stitched letters because it wasn’t a thing at UCLA. My husband went to a different college and was in a business frat and has his sweatshirt With the large stitched letters proudly hanging in our closet.

Sister Havana 09-05-2020 04:39 PM

People wear letters all the time at IU. I still wear mine on occasion.

Titchou 09-05-2020 07:01 PM

Very prevalent in the south

aephi alum 09-07-2020 10:29 PM

Back in the day, we were asked to wear letters every Tuesday.

New members aren't allowed to wear the Greek letters, but they were asked to wear their bid day shirts, event shirts with the sorority name spelled out, or at least green and white - along with NM ribbons or pins.

Sisters could wear any of the above, or stitched letters, or we could dress to pin and wear our badge.

One semester, I had a class that had lectures only on Tuesdays. I think some of my classmates thought I only owned two sweatshirts :D

*winter* 09-09-2020 02:11 PM

Back in the day, we couldn’t WAIT to get our letters! Every day was letter day for like two weeks after we finally got them. Part of the fun was getting to pick your fabrics and colors for your own sets.

anongreek 09-09-2020 02:54 PM

We wore our letters all over campus. My very first gift from my Big was an AOII jersey shirt with the fancy stitched letters. I still have it!

Cheerio 10-24-2020 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aephi alum (Post 2479178)
New members aren't allowed to wear the Greek letters, but they were asked to wear their bid day shirts, event shirts with the sorority name spelled out, or at least green and white - along with new member ribbons and pins.

Sisters could wear any of the above, or stitched letters, or we could dress to pin and wear our badge.

Hadn't thought for a LONG time about how we wore NM ribbons to classes in Fall before we were initiated. Some days we pinned them to our Pledge Books, which we were required to carry at all times. Thanks for the nostalgia boost!

honeychile 10-25-2020 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aephi alum (Post 2479178)
Back in the day, we were asked to wear letters every Tuesday.
*snip*
One semester, I had a class that had lectures only on Tuesdays. I think some of my classmates thought I only owned two sweatshirts :D

I literally LOL at this!