GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Locals (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=184)
-   -   starting a sorority (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=8405)

jcolon 10-21-2000 04:12 PM

starting a sorority

I would like some advice. I have been disappointed by the sororities on my campus. I have been seriously considering starting up a sorority. Does anyone have any advice, comments?

Artimis 10-22-2000 03:33 PM

Greetings jcolon,

One of the first things I'd suggest doing is deciding what purpose, role and function you would like out of your sisterhood. Then I would begin doing some research into current greek organizations that do exist. Check out some of the directory type pages of greek organizations. And even look to some single chapter organizations. If you find a sisterhood that meets all the needs and desires you outlined, Approach their national organizations and request information and requirments on expansion/colonization or the local sorority to discuss expanding to a National organization. If you find existing greek organizations fall short of you needs, then begin gathering women that you feel would rally behind the purpose and goals that you outlined and go from there.

One thing to remeber before you expend much energy in researching starting a sorority, is you need to verify with your University that bringing or starting a sorority will be acceptable to the administration. Several Universities restrictions on what sororites can be brought to the university. IE. One University, I don't remeber which one, requires that the sorority or fraternity must be part of a larger governing body/council such as NPC, IFC, NPHC.

Best of Luck, and feel free to email me directly.

Jennifer

IntricateDesign 04-08-2003 03:40 PM

Hopes of New Sorority

Jcolon,

My friends and I are having a hard time starting our new sorority because not all of us are at the 4-yr. univ. I will actually be transferring to the school next fall. Maybe there is someway that you and your girls could possibly hook up w/ me & my girls for a sister sorority type thing!!! I dunno.....the possibilities are unlimited!!!! We have decided to be a multicultural sorority because there are not any in this area...Missouri. I know that it says that you are from NJ (so far away from us), but if there's anything we can do to help...just let us know. We plan to keep our sorority local, and no offense to any national sororities...but we want to keep it totally local. Good luck.

IntricateDesign

choca82 07-12-2008 07:14 PM

New Sorority

I was wondering what could i possibly do to start a new sorority. I want to specifically target the females who are currently going to school just to receive a certificate or an associate's degree. I know that most sororities only accepts undergrads and grads. Help please!

Xidelt 07-13-2008 08:56 PM

I would look at community based sororities. Students who are in school for a certificate program tend to be enrolled for a very limited amount of time. Imagine the turnover in membership and especially officers! It wouldn't make for a very stable organization.

H0NEY1987 07-15-2008 10:00 AM

ladies,
definitely take a look at some of the threads already started on GC about beginning a new organization. The threads contain some valuable information from other members who may have already been in your shoes.

knight_shadow 07-15-2008 10:38 AM

http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/sh...ad.php?t=93174

Unregistered- 09-19-2008 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rocknjams89 (Post 1720453)
that would be a great idea and it gives you authority and makes you a legend

I know of women who started their own sorority, and I'm pretty sure they didn't start it just so they'd have "authority". :rolleyes:

kddani 09-19-2008 09:45 PM

http://media.ebaumsworld.com/picture...Authoritay.png

nittanyalum 09-19-2008 11:33 PM

^^^seriously, still makes me giggle.

disasterscookie 09-20-2008 02:23 PM

Re-activation.

I know that there was a couple sororities on my campus (Northern Arizona University) that deactivated (is that the correct term?) due to low numbers. Is there a way to find out which ones they were? I would be interested in starting over again. Because I know that AEPi (the Jewish Frat) was here but deactivated in 1991, and they brought it back last year. I think it would be easier to reactivate than to start a completely new one.

Also, there is a local on my campus (Gamma Pi Kappa) which no seems to have any record of and no one is responding to my emails about it. It seems to have just disappeared after 2006. I was wondering could I just pick up where they left off, talk to their past advisors, tell them I am interested in reactivating it and just try to pick up the pieces? They weren't NPC, or any affiliation, but they did have an academic advisor, whom of which I tried to contact about it and she still hasn't responded.

tinydancer 09-20-2008 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nittanyalum (Post 1720554)
^^^seriously, still makes me giggle.

I know - me too. (and o/t but I named one of the kittens Butters)

nittanyalum 09-20-2008 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by disasterscookie (Post 1720710)
I know that there was a couple sororities on my campus (Northern Arizona University) that deactivated (is that the correct term?) due to low numbers. Is there a way to find out which ones they were? I would be interested in starting over again. Because I know that AEPi (the Jewish Frat) was here but deactivated in 1991, and they brought it back last year. I think it would be easier to reactivate than to start a completely new one.

Also, there is a local on my campus (Gamma Pi Kappa) which no seems to have any record of and no one is responding to my emails about it. It seems to have just disappeared after 2006. I was wondering could I just pick up where they left off, talk to their past advisors, tell them I am interested in reactivating it and just try to pick up the pieces? They weren't NPC, or any affiliation, but they did have an academic advisor, whom of which I tried to contact about it and she still hasn't responded.

I thought you had found your greek home and were fully immersing yourself with Omega Phi Alpha??

ree-Xi 09-20-2008 05:07 PM

Today:

Quote:

Originally Posted by disasterscookie (Post 1720710)

From 9/15:

Quote:

Originally Posted by disasterscookie (Post 1717992)
I was a little confused on this as well, but yes it was initiation into the pledge class. Pinning cermony.
WHICH WAS BEAUTIFUL!!!!
And then we got presents from our bigs, and god if mine doesn't know me super well already. She got me things to give me hints to who she is, but these items played directly into who I am. It was a red boa, a bubble gun, nerds, chocolate pretzels, and a weird magical bag that makes ice cream?! I haven't tried it yet. But I wore the boa the entire night and when I got home I ran around my house in my pj's and the boa blowing bubbles everywhere. My husband was laughing at me in his "please-calm-down-you-crazy-girl" kind of laugh he has developed since we got married. I tend to get excited like a 4 year old :D

Our pledge meetings are Sundays at 8pm and honestly, I don't know how I am going to go a whole week every week without seeing all these amazing girls.

And FYI, my pledge mom is amazing.

???

disasterscookie 09-20-2008 06:16 PM

I'm allowed to do more than 1 group. Plus, I was just fueling my curiosity. I like to be busy.
I am happy with OPhiA, but that doesn't mean I have to stop looking for other organizations to be involved in as well.
Many girls in OPhiA are active in other organizations too including other service sororities, honors societies, religious clubs, and much more.