GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Sorority Recruitment (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=217)
-   -   Rec Letters for Informal recruitment? (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=242431)

hazelhibiscus 02-01-2018 02:06 PM

Rec Letters for Informal recruitment?

Hi, I'm just wondering. Is it a good idea to get rec letters for informal recruitment? My school has events in spring where each group schedules it's own week or so, not all the sororities recruit together in spring. I should mention I'm not from the south so I'm not sure if recs are 'required' at my school so to speak.

Thanks.

Titchou 02-01-2018 06:22 PM

It can't hurt and it might help. So, yes, I would.

FSUZeta 02-01-2018 06:59 PM

Agree with my Panhellenic sister.

hazelhibiscus 02-02-2018 12:11 AM

Thank you! Aside from family/friend/church possible connections, where else could I reach out to find a possible reference?

33girl 02-02-2018 01:23 AM

Former teachers (they all went to college :) )
Former employers

ChioLu 02-02-2018 03:50 PM

And when you find a sorority alumna, ask her if she knows anyone in the other groups you are looking for recs. You’d be surprised how many sorority alumnae know other alumnae. If you know any men who are fraternity alumni, they most likely know sorority almunae. When I was helping my goddaughter find recs, I merely reached out to a few people on Facebook and found rec writers.

NYCMS 02-03-2018 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hazelhibiscus (Post 2453305)
Hi, I'm just wondering. Is it a good idea to get rec letters for informal recruitment? My school has events in spring where each group schedules it's own week or so, not all the sororities recruit together in spring. I should mention I'm not from the south so I'm not sure if recs are 'required' at my school so to speak.

Thanks.

Recs are always a good idea, but I wouldn't go overboard (meaning I wouldn't have multiple recs for the same house).

One tip: write a HAND-WRITTEN thank you note to the person who wrote you a rec. This habit has gone by the wayside and I appreciate a hand-written note versus a quick email or even worse, a text. If anyone takes the time to write a rec, which does take time, the least I think someone can do is take the time to write a note. And making it personalized - not a general, generic-sounding thank you - means even more.

Call me old-fashioned (went to college in late 70's), but I see even the most wonderful young people who've not learned this habit, including my nephews and nieces. What do their parents say when I give gifts? "Oh, they told you thank you for the gift, that should be enough." Ugh.

Good manners never go out of style!

hazelhibiscus 02-04-2018 10:55 PM

I have heard back from one person each for all houses (my school does COB so I'll post my story soon/after I go through - or maybe as stuff happens, idk), so I think I'm good on that front. I'm planning on writing thank yous this week and sending them, and then updating the writers after just so they know what happened. I appreciate all the advice!

stef831 02-05-2018 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hazelhibiscus (Post 2453393)
I have heard back from one person each for all houses (my school does COB so I'll post my story soon/after I go through - or maybe as stuff happens, idk), so I think I'm good on that front. I'm planning on writing thank yous this week and sending them, and then updating the writers after just so they know what happened. I appreciate all the advice!

Yes, please do come back and share your story. I know we would all love to hear about it Best of luck to you in this journey :)