GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Sorority Recruitment (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=217)
-   -   Good Recruitment Icebreaking Questions (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=102312)

Merci11 01-11-2009 09:53 PM

Good Recruitment Icebreaking Questions

Recruitment starts soon at my school. It will be my first time as an active and I don’t want to resort to the hometown/major questions. What are some great icebreaking questions you’ve used in the past?

AOII Angel 01-11-2009 09:56 PM

You can always discuss anything pop culture...tv, books, movies. The problem is that no matter what you talk about, you have to be careful not to sound too stiff. A conversation about majors, etc that is natural is actually not a bad conversation, but you have to learn to naturally segue from one topic to the next.

KSUViolet06 01-11-2009 10:05 PM

We just had this thread about advice for actives that may be helpful:

http://greekchat.com/gcforums/showth...hlight=actives

My own personal conversation advice: Try to ask open-ended questions, which means questions that require more than a yes or no answer.

APhiAnna 01-11-2009 10:14 PM

Hey, I actually love recruitment conversation so hopefully this helps. I found that the best way to go about it is ask one "boring" open-ended question and then use that to spring to something else. For example, come in with a question in mind ("What's your major?") and then prepare different "tangents", so to speak, depending on whether her answer is a major identical to yours and if it is completely different.

Think of those questions as conversation starters...she's been getting questions like that all during recruitment, and what will make you (and ultimately your house) stand out is if you can skillfully take that initial question into a conversation about similar interests or experiences. Focus more on asking the question to get to a conversation rather than just listening to her answer and moving on.

KSUViolet06 01-11-2009 10:37 PM

Some more advice:

You don't have to talk about your sorority from the moment the PNMs walk in the door.

Alot of new actives think that they have to constantly be talking about Sigma activities, Sigma's philanthropy events on the first day.

If all you do is talk talk talk about your sorority and the awards you win, the stuff you do, your house, etc. it can actually turn the PNMs off because they may feel like you're trying too hard to "sell the sorority" and you're not really interested in getting to know them.

APhiAnna 01-11-2009 10:47 PM

OK, I just thought of my favorite icebreaker that has led to me forming (and pledigng) some of my biggest rush crushes, but you kind of have to be fashion obsessed (or at least fashion literate) to pull it off.

Comment on some part of her outfit that you sincerely like in a cute/sincere way that doesn't make it look staged. Let's say that she is wearing an adorable charm necklace. You can say, "So nice to meet you Patty PNM! OK, first things first, I am in love with that necklace haha, I spotted it from across the room. Is it vintage?"

If she says, "Yes", you can be like, "I am obsessed with vintage clothing, there is the cutest vintage store a block away from here, STORE NAME, do you ever go there?" If she says, "No, I got it at XYZ," you can say, "Wow, it's adorable and looks so vintage. I am obsessed with vintage clothing...well, just fashion in general. What type of look do you usually go for?"

This obviously only works if it's apparent she put time into her outfit, but from experience if the girl has put some time into her clothes, chances are she at least likes clothes enough to talk about them for a second or two. Maybe that's just the more "high maintenance PNMs" that I get paired with haha, but it definitely works if the girl is right. If it's clear she's more of a tomboy then don't go for it, but it works wonders with the majority of women I've met in recruitment...who doesn't like talking about clothes for a little?

ASTalumna06 01-12-2009 12:55 AM

As has been mentioned, open-ended questions are always a good thing. For example, you ask her, "where are you from?" It's basic enough, but when she gives you an answer, you can take it to another level...

If she lives close by: "Oh, that's close. Have you traveled anywhere else farther away?"
If she lives far away: "What made you come to school all the way out here?"

Or when you ask about her major, if it's completely different than yours, a very easy way to open up conversation is to follow her answer by saying, "What made you decide on that?"

Another good way to go if you run out of things to say... talk about recruitment and/or sororities, without bragging about all the great stuff you do (because while winning Greek Week and getting the highest philanthropy award at convention might mean a lot to you, it means very little to a PNM). For example:
- What made you decide to go through recruitment?
- What do you like about recruitment thus far?
- Do you have any questions about sorority life?

KSUViolet06 01-12-2009 01:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ASTalumna06 (Post 1764276)
- Do you have any questions about sorority life?

In recruitment workshops, we were always told not to ask PNMs "Any questions?" just because recruitment is such a nerve-wrecking situation that they most likely will go blank and not know what to ask, and they probably have a million questions.

I can agree with you on "what made you decide to go through recruitment?" That's a good question to ask because I found that you can learn alot about a PNM by asking that.

ASTalumna06 01-12-2009 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 (Post 1764280)
In recruitment workshops, we were always told not to ask PNMs "Any questions?" just because recruitment is such a nerve-wrecking situation that they most likely will go blank and not know what to ask, and they probably have a million questions.

Good point.

I think that where I am, very few PNMs know much of anything about Greek life, so when I ask this, they'll usually ask me 10 different questions.

But when I do ask it, I generally give them "options" to choose from. Example: “Do you have any questions about sorority life? Scholarship opportunities, philanthropies, the time commitment...?” Usually something will hit them, and they’ll have a question to ask.

I also had one girl last semester who asked me about hazing. She felt bad asking about it, as she said she didn’t want to imply that we did it. But she was generally concerned. I said, “That’s a legitimate concern, one that I used to have at one point, but I can assure you that I wouldn’t have joined if I was hazed. Has anyone explained our new member program to you?” From there, we talked for 20 minutes, and the questions just poured out of her.

Another good option is to have numerous “visual aids.” Even though we don’t have a house, we make sure that we have as many paddles, t-shirts, mascots, awards, pictures, etc. there at our recruitment events. If you’re talking about why she’s participating in recruitment, and she brings up the fact that she's worked on many philanthropic projects, you can ask, “Can I show you some of the philanthropic activities we participate in?” We would then bring the PNM over to the table of stuff, and go through things with them. A scrapbook is always a good item to have. It can show PNMs a whole semester worth of stuff through pictures. It’s easier for you to talk when you have something to look at, and most likely she’ll have questions.

Benzgirl 01-12-2009 04:18 PM

I'm an alum. Last year during recruitment I was serving drinks. One of the actives brought over a PNM and when I was handing her the drink, I said, "Great shoes!". I'm sure there could have been some kind of recruitment infraction, but it started a different conversation between the PNM and the active on shoes.

Also, I agree about complimenting someone on jewelry. If they are wearing a cute necklace, pin or earrings, mention something about it. It's easy and it's natural.

Assuming that your recruitment is coming up, "Did you do anything exciting over winter break"? or "My sister and I were just talking about movies, did you see any good ones over the winter break"? or "We were just talking about the basket ball game State University won last week. Did you get a chance to go"? Hopefully, you will get more than a yes or no answer.

What you are looking for is a connection.

UofISigKap 01-12-2009 07:58 PM

One of my cousins said that she distinctly remembered her opening conversation at the house she ultimately joined. It was beastly hot, as it can be in August. When my cousin was ushered in, the active said to her, "you know, (sister name here) and I were just talking, and we were saying how great it would be if we could set up snowball fights during recruitment!" The conversation was off and running and then eventually they got to major, where she was from, etc...

Kansas City 01-13-2009 11:13 AM

As a collegiate, I always wanted to hear about a PNMs friends from back home. This can then lead into what to expect from a sister and from the chapter's perspective, how this PNM might interact with others in the organization. As recruitment progresses, the rusher can then try to explain how their organization can provide that same friendship.

It also works for family members but is usually more touchy to talk about family members because you can choose your friends but not your family. ;)

Merci11 01-14-2009 12:13 AM

Thanks for the great ideas! Only a few days left until recruitment starts! I'm so nervous/excited!
I like the idea about family and friends. I don't think anyone asked me about that when I went through a year ago. (actually, I barely remember my coversations at any organization!)

fishfaceLIOB 01-14-2009 01:53 AM

we have an icebreaker activity... i dont know what to call it but its really fun.

everyone stands in a circle and each girl one at a time takes one step into the circle and says "i like girls who ______." and if you agree with her, or you do what she likes, you step in the circle. the the next girl goes.

"i like girls who like sex and the city". if you like sex and the city you take a step in the circle... its fun and its a great way to see what girls are interested in.

carnation 07-05-2010 10:57 AM

good topic for this time of year!