GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Sorority Recruitment (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=217)
-   -   costs of sororities at university of alabama (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=106756)

margretlee 08-11-2009 10:52 AM

costs of sororities at university of alabama

OK, so we have seen the "average" costs on the UA Panhellenic website. On Panhellenic weekend, some sororities gave out cost sheets. However, not all of them did. We can defintiely afford a sorority, especially one of the "average" cost ones. However, we would prefer to stay in that range, so that she will have plenty of money for clothes, tshirts, etc. Is there anyone here that can tell us which ones are the most expensive ones, or rank them according to approximate cost?

knight_shadow 08-11-2009 10:59 AM

Who is "we"?

margretlee 08-11-2009 11:01 AM

my daughter and me

perfectinpurple 08-11-2009 11:08 AM

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but all the sororities should be required to give out a "budget sheet" to the pnms that breaks down all the costs of joining; social fees, house live in fees, etc. I know when I went through recruitment (different school though) we were assured that every sorority would at some point hand one out.

margretlee- I know the cost can be a big issue especially now, but many sororities offer payment plans and even scholarships that the girls can get. I know one of my best friends applies for and recieves a scholarship from our nationals that helps her pay for certain costs.

Zillini 08-11-2009 11:11 AM

Sororities won't share their dues with each other. The accounting firm Greek Resources handles most of the sororities and fraternities on Alabama's campus. They will tell us where we fall in comparison to the other Chapters on campus, but that's about it.

So actually your info is better than ours (the sororities) because you got info sheets directly from the Chapters at Panhellenic Preview Weekend. Those weren't shared with us.

AnchorAlumna 08-11-2009 11:19 AM

Costs are going to run roughly about the same at every sorority. They each have a house, with a paid staff, maintenance, insurance etc. to pay for. The smaller groups may actually be a little more expensive because there are fewer people to spread the cost to. But it won't be THAT much more expensive.

The big difference is the "extras." You do NOT have to buy a T shirt for every event. You do NOT have to buy 6 dozen photos every time they take pictures at an event. You do NOT have to give a huge amount of money to every philanthropy that comes along.

Seems a little late to be worrying about that now??

margretlee 08-11-2009 11:21 AM

The problem is that not all the sororities gave out info sheets. They had little tables set up in a big room, and most of the girls were really nice, well spoken representatives of their organizations. But some did not give out cost sheets. I am afraid that their attitude was "If you have to ask, then you can't afford it." We have money allotted for this, so don't need a payment plan, but would love to stay within a certain range, as we have two other kids coming up right behind her! How can one ask someone to make a committment to join thier organization, but not tell them the cost? Do they wait until you get a bid before telling you what it cost, and then it's too late? She is afraid to ask, because she thinks that will be like an automatic cut.

margretlee 08-11-2009 11:22 AM

The "where we fall in comparison to other chapters" would be great. There must be someone somewhere who knows which ones fall into the "high" range quoted on the Panhellenic site?

margretlee 08-11-2009 11:40 AM

AnchorAlumna: thank you for your reply. The Greek.ua webpage lists $6,185 as the high per semester, and $2,490 as the low per semester. That's in-house, and is a difference of $7,350 per year. That may not seem like a lot to you, but I have three girls, and multiply that out over the next decade or so, and it will add up. I realize she will not be in-house the first year, but hopefully within the next few years. The out-of-house difference in the high and low cost is $3,550, as well. That amount would is significant enough to cover tuition or housing for a semester. That may be pocket change to some, but in this economy, everyone seems to be tightening up some.

As for the comment that it's a little late to be worrying about it now, our home has been greatly affected by the economic situation, and the effects of that are more evident now than when she first signed up to rush. I think this is the right time to be wondering about the costs. I sort of assumed that the girls would be given something at convocatioin, but I guess not. Unfortunately, most of our family graduated from a different college, so we do nto know as much about the sororities at Bama.

AuburnMom08 08-11-2009 11:44 AM

At Alabama I would plan on roughly $3500 per semester for dues and housing, $2500 if she doesn't live in the house. I don't imagine it would vary drastically from highest to lowest. I definitely would not ask about it if I were her.

As far as do they wait until your daughter gets a bid before telling you the dues? Yes. They do. I had no idea what my daughter's dues were until I got the bill for them lol but I wasn't caught off guard, I knew roughly what to expect based on the info they had on the AU greek life website.

AuburnMom08 08-11-2009 11:45 AM

And if I had to guess about Bama, I would say old row probably is on the higher end of the average, but I don't know at all, just guessing here. :)

margretlee 08-11-2009 11:52 AM

Oh, wow! I just looked at AU's site. The costs there are much lower. Only approx. $1,300 per year? It would be a non-issue. Thanks for sharing! :)

margretlee 08-11-2009 11:54 AM

AuburnMom08: look at the Greeklife.ua site, and you will see what I mean about the cost difference between highest and lowest in my post above. $7,350 per year is the difference!

AuburnMom08 08-11-2009 11:56 AM

Because we don't have traditional houses (is why AU is so much less than UA). I paid more than $1300 for dues alone last year, not a lot more but a few hundred more, and that was before the village was built. I'm expecting it to be a little more this year. :)

baci 08-11-2009 11:59 AM

margretlee, I can't give you help on this as I honestly don't know, but IMO you are wise to be concerned and your points are valid. You are a mom looking forward/trying to plan and that is important.

I like that you care enough to think about your younger daughters that will follow. My parents did the same and wanted us to have things equally (could be stated better).

I am sure you will find more information as you dig around.

I can tell you I have seen some wide differences in fee schedules when comparing orgs in the same Florida schools, so it is wise to know what you are getting into. I think it is wonderful that you are doing your research.