GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Alumnae Initiation (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=208)
-   -   How can I find out about social events of a organization that I am interested in? (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=113135)

Encouraged 04-25-2010 03:32 PM

How can I find out about social events of a organization that I am interested in?

I have been doing my research on a particular alumni chptr. So far I haven't seen any public social events in which I can participate and get to know to members of the organization. Can someone please tell me what I am doing wrong or not enough of?:o

KSUViolet06 04-25-2010 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Encouraged (Post 1920920)
I have been doing my research on a particular alumni chptr. So far I haven't seen any public social events in which I can participate and get to know to members of the organization. Can someone please tell me what I am doing wrong or not enough of?:o

1. Meet members in real life.

2. Make friends with them.

3. Ask them about events.

Real life (non-internet) interactions are key here.

Xidelt 04-25-2010 04:17 PM

Or maybe they don't have events open to non-members.

AOII Angel 04-25-2010 04:28 PM

She introduced herself in the Delta thread. To the OP, Alum Initiation isn't exactly the same thing as NPHC initiation as a graduate. FWIW, I'd get off this board and discretely ask IRL about Delta from members you actually know. No one on this board is going to actually tell you anything about membership intake.

DrPhil 04-25-2010 06:06 PM

Quote:

Go away.

ree-Xi 04-25-2010 07:34 PM

Quote:

In the NPC, alumnae chapters usually have events/meetings that are open only to initiated members. They may participate in service events at which others are also working (ie. a walk for ....), but social events are usually closed. If you are pursuing NPC Alumnae Initiation, crashing an alumnae event is not the way to go.

NHPC is different. If you are pursuing a Grad Chapter, get to know members. That's all I can tell you.

PS Why do NPHC aspirants use usernames like "encouraged", "inspired", and other adjectives? If they know NOTHING about the ways or members of the group they are interested in, and no one in the group knows they exist, who or what is inspiring or encouraging them??

Senusret I 04-25-2010 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ree-Xi (Post 1920984)

PS Why do NPHC aspirants use usernames like "encouraged", "inspired", and other adjectives? If they know NOTHING about the ways or members of the group they are interested in, and no one in the group knows they exist, who or what is inspiring or encouraging them??

Dorothy Height, for example.

tld221 04-25-2010 08:49 PM

Have we learned nothing from the stickied thread?

Senusret I 04-25-2010 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tld221 (Post 1920999)
Have we learned nothing from the stickied thread?

Not a damned thing.

Encouraged 04-27-2010 07:00 PM

ree-XI

For me my name came from personal things in my life! That's not to get mixed up for not knowing everything in regards to becoming a member of any organization! It's called asking questions is the only way you'll learn along with researching on your own.

As far as getting to know the people in the organization in the chapter closest to me that is my difficulty at this point, thus questioning what am I doing wrong or not enough of? I hope this answer your question of why names as mine are being used, but I also thank you for giving me a partial answer!

ree-Xi 04-27-2010 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Encouraged (Post 1922014)

As far as getting to know the people in the organization in the chapter closest to me that is my difficulty at this point, thus questioning what am I doing wrong or not enough of?

Did you read this post above?? I have taken the liberty to bold the part I think is important.

Quote:

Originally Posted by AOII Angel (Post 1920936)
To the OP, Alum Initiation isn't exactly the same thing as NPHC initiation as a graduate. FWIW, I'd get off this board and discretely ask IRL about Delta from members you actually know. No one on this board is going to actually tell you anything about membership intake.

Microbiology 05-15-2013 06:30 PM

Quote:

It may be the area you are in. Not all organizations are as active as others. I know I looked into one sorority to see when they had any events and well...they didn't really have any. :confused: Another I looked at has a calendar full of events that are open to the public.

ASTalumna06 05-15-2013 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Microbiology (Post 2217171)
It may be the area you are in. Not all organizations are as active as others. I know I looked into one sorority to see when they had any events and well...they didn't really have any. :confused: Another I looked at has a calendar full of events that are open to the public.

This thread is 3 years old...