GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Kappa Alpha Psi (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=80)
-   -   Walking the Line... (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=77847)

marquise1911 05-02-2006 11:39 AM

Walking the Line...

What's considered taboo in Greek life across the board??? List the things that are considered taboo either on your campus or across the board. Nothing secret of course. If you find something disputable, it’s ok to disagree.

Here's a few things I've learned and still hold on to...

1. Never do someone else’s hand signs, even if dissing, if necessary modify to appear similar, but NEVER put up someone’s hand signs.
2. Never, ever, ever touch another Greeks paraphernalia, even with permission.
3. When another organizations national/regional song is on, you do not stroll or obstruct them in any way.
4. Never argue with another Greek in public.
5. Never call a Sigma Gamma Rho a “Rho”, a Delta a “DST”, or an AKA an “AKah” (seen as very disrespectful where I’m from).
6. Train only if you’re an Alpha, Hop only if you’re a Que, Shimmy only if you’re a Kappa, and Triple step only if you're a Sigma.
7. Even if an unofficial bond exists, never refer to an AKA or Delta as “soror” (as far as KAPsi is concerned).
8. Never wear more than one piece of pari.

Rain Man 05-02-2006 03:14 PM

Re: Walking the Line...

Quote:

Originally posted by marquise1911
What's considered taboo in Greek life across the board??? List the things that are considered taboo either on your campus or across the board. Nothing secret of course. If you find something disputable, it’s ok to disagree.

Here's a few things I've learned and still hold on to...

1. Never do someone else’s hand signs, even if dissing, if necessary modify to appear similar, but NEVER put up someone’s hand signs.
2. Never, ever, ever touch another Greeks paraphernalia, even with permission.
3. When another organizations national/regional song is on, you do not stroll or obstruct them in any way.
4. Never argue with another Greek in public.
5. Never call a Sigma Gamma Rho a “Rho”, a Delta a “DST”, or an AKA an “AKah” (seen as very disrespectful where I’m from).
6. Train only if you’re an Alpha, Hop only if you’re a Que, Shimmy only if you’re a Kappa, and Triple step only if you're a Sigma.
7. Even if an unofficial bond exists, never refer to an AKA or Delta as “soror” (as far as KAPsi is concerned).
8. Never wear more than one piece of pari.

I'm sorry, Marquise. I'm cool wit'cha' and got no beef with you, (chicken or fish maybe, but no beef), but whoever conceived a lot of these taboos are too full of themselves and need to humble up a bit.

My issues with your taboos listed are as follows

1. Trivial
2. Idolatrous (Just because you worship your letters don't mean I have to as well).
3. Are you talking official organization-sanctioned song or an unofficial party song? If the latter, they need to get a life and get over themselves.
4. This is the only "taboo" I actually agree with.
5. Again, that is trivial and in the long run, a heckuva lot less disrespectful than other names one could use to address them. Pick your battles wisely.
6. I have no opinion on this one way or the other.
7. Thank God this doesn't transcend to APQ and GSS (where we address one another as "frat" and "soror" on the regular with no beef whatsoever--AFAIK)
8. If it's due to National organizational protocol, I understand. Otherwise, again, it's a trivial rule.

The problem I have with most of these taboos is that IMHO they are steeped in arrogance and self-importance under the guise and illusion of "respect".

unknown2u 05-02-2006 03:20 PM

I feel you Rainman. People think that i have to show them respect because they are greek. No you earn respect! Why the heck would someone get mad cause someone 'touched" your naila that is soo silly. It is not the ARK OF THE COVENANT.

Man some people will realize that in the last days your letters will NOT save you from the FIERY pits of Hell. So all in all this is very silly.

SKEEphistAKAte 05-02-2006 04:02 PM

One GC clearly needs to know...

Take notes folks:

NEVER DISRESPECT YOUR ELDERS... and we were taught not only to respect elders of Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc. but those of other D9 organizations. It seems that most younger members of orgs these days have no grasp of that concept. I don't care if the elder member is reading your the riot act over something that doesn't even pertain to you. You are to STFU, smile, and respectfully nod.

mulattogyrl 05-02-2006 04:19 PM

Re: One GC clearly needs to know...

Quote:

Originally posted by SKEEphistAKAte
Take notes folks:

NEVER DISRESPECT YOUR ELDERS... and we were taught not only to respect elders of Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc. but those of other D9 organizations. It seems that most younger members of orgs these days have no grasp of that concept. I don't care if the elder member is reading your the riot act over something that doesn't even pertain to you. You are to STFU, smile, and respectfully nod.

TRUE DAT.

DSTdimepiece 05-02-2006 04:27 PM

Amen sistergreek!

marquise1911 05-02-2006 04:30 PM

Re: Re: Walking the Line...

Quote:

Originally posted by Rain Man
I'm sorry, Marquise. I'm cool wit'cha' and got no beef with you, (chicken or fish maybe, but no beef), but whoever conceived a lot of these taboos are too full of themselves and need to humble up a bit.

My issues with your taboos listed are as follows

1. Trivial
2. Idolatrous (Just because you worship your letters don't mean I have to as well).
3. Are you talking official organization-sanctioned song or an unofficial party song? If the latter, they need to get a life and get over themselves.
4. This is the only "taboo" I actually agree with.
5. Again, that is trivial and in the long run, a heckuva lot less disrespectful than other names one could use to address them. Pick your battles wisely.
6. I have no opinion on this one way or the other.
7. Thank God this doesn't transcend to APQ and GSS (where we address one another as "frat" and "soror" on the regular with no beef whatsoever--AFAIK)
8. If it's due to National organizational protocol, I understand. Otherwise, again, it's a trivial rule.

The problem I have with most of these taboos is that IMHO they are steeped in arrogance and self-importance under the guise and illusion of "respect".

Point well taken, but they still stand. I wouldn't want somone touching my pari without my permission, nor would I want someone putting up my sign in a disrespectful manner.

My taboos aren't set in stone, but they're set in my head and my mama said my head is hard as a rock...lol!!!

marquise1911 05-02-2006 04:32 PM

Quote:

Take notes folks:

Let the church say...AMEN!!!:D

FeeFee 05-02-2006 04:35 PM

Quote:

Take notes folks:

Amen Soror!!!

teena 05-02-2006 04:35 PM

Re: Re: One GC clearly needs to know...

Quote:

Originally posted by marquise1911
Let the church say...AMEN!!!:D
Excuse me.....the correct spelling is chuch

unknown2u 05-02-2006 04:36 PM

Quote:

Take notes folks:

:rolleyes:
Again you do not get respect you EARN respect. Age does not make you ENTITLED to respect. The youngest people to me are worthy of much praise then some of the older ones. Jesus was 12 years old when he started his ministry and the Pharisees were 40 and up. Whou think deserves more respect??? Age aint nothing but a number!!! So in other words just cause you old does not mean you cannot get called out!
It's the truth, people know it but they will never admit it.

DSTinguished1 05-02-2006 04:41 PM

You will NEVER go far with that type of mentality....:(

marquise1911 05-02-2006 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by DSTinguished1
You will NEVER go far with that type of mentality....:(
Where's the line so I can co-sign...

All Others Please Post Things You Feel Are Taboo....!!!!!

unspokenone25 05-02-2006 05:25 PM

Re: Re: One GC clearly needs to know...

Quote:

Originally posted by unknown2u
:rolleyes:
Again you do not get respect you EARN respect. Age does not make you ENTITLED to respect. The youngest people to me are worthy of much praise then some of the older ones. Jesus was 12 years old when he started his ministry and the Pharisees were 40 and up. Whou think deserves more respect??? Age aint nothing but a number!!! So in other words just cause you old does not mean you cannot get called out!
It's the truth, people know it but they will never admit it.

Have you ever heard of the words...Humble and Humility? They go a LONG way in life.

mulattogyrl 05-02-2006 05:36 PM

Re: Re: Re: One GC clearly needs to know...

Quote:

Originally posted by teena
Excuse me.....the correct spelling is chuch
lol