GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   News & Politics (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=207)
-   -   What would make you switch parties? (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=48601)

Rudey 03-26-2004 12:48 PM

What would make you switch parties?

What issue would make you vote for the other candidate?

For me I would move very quickly depending on Bush's support for anti-terrorism and his moves in the middle east. Additionally I find issues such as alternate fuel sources and lower spending to be second on that list to me but still important.

-Rudey

ThetaPrincess24 03-26-2004 08:53 PM

I dont know...........I'll have to think about that one......I was raised a republican, I'm a registered republican.....I intend to vote republican in this election.

I cant say I'll always vote republican, but I can say odds are slim to none with regards to me voting for a democrat. But that's just my opinion folks........one issue(being the environment) isnt enough for me to switch over.

honeychile 03-26-2004 09:23 PM

I was the youngest delegate to the 19** Democratic National Convention. I was being groomed for a political office, and was in on a LOT of the "smoke-filled rooms" (which are actually trailers in this day & age). Anyhow, I wasn't naive, I knew what to expect - for the most part. I was surprised, however, that I was expected sign off on the Platform - which contained certain issues that I could not morally support.

I still worked for my candidate, and the White House, but once it was over, I got out of politics. The more I thought about some of the planks, the more I realized that I could NOT be a Democrat and be pro-life.

Unfortunately, I live in a state where being an Independent means not voting in the Primaries. So, I became a Republican - realizing, of course, that No Political Party Has A Monopoly On The Truth!

I'm still a Republican, more because I support the GOP's agenda more than that of the Democratic agenda (and the very thought of a First Lady who wasn't even born in the USA turns my stomach!!).

DeltAlum 03-26-2004 10:04 PM

One of them would have to get a clue.

I think I'll just stay independent and vote for who I think will do the best job instead of the person with the right label.

James 03-26-2004 10:19 PM

She's a wife, she is not holding office. And even important cabinet level positions don't have a born in the USA requirement.

Unless you think it might send a message to American men that we are better off finding foreign born wives? That does seem to be an increasing and happy trend for men.

Quote:

Originally posted by honeychile

I'm still a Republican, more because I support the GOP's agenda more than that of the Democratic agenda (and the very thought of a First Lady who wasn't even born in the USA turns my stomach!!).

The1calledTKE 03-26-2004 10:24 PM

If George W. Bush or Rush Limbaugh ever switched to the Democratic party I know it would be time to leave it.

honeychile 03-26-2004 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by James
She's a wife, she is not holding office. And even important cabinet level positions don't have a born in the USA requirement.

Unless you think it might send a message to American men that we are better off finding foreign born wives? That does seem to be an increasing and happy trend for men.

Gee, James, I am allowed an opinion, aren't I? And my opinion is that the First Lady of the United States should be born in the United States. I'm not expecting this to be a major expose or anything, it's just something that bothers me. And it bothered me when Sen. Heinz was eyeing the White House, too, so it's not a party thing.

James 03-26-2004 10:44 PM

You can have one or two opinions . . but seriously I am curious that why that would bother you. A wife is a non-entity really in the grand scheme of things. I could barely pick the wives out of a line-up when it comes to Presidents.

Quote:

Gee, James, I am allowed an opinion, aren't I? And my opinion is that the First Lady of the United States should be born in the United States. I'm not expecting this to be a major expose or anything, it's just something that bothers me. And it bothered me when Sen. Heinz was eyeing the White House, too, so it's not a party thing.

honeychile 03-26-2004 10:50 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by James
You can have one or two opinions . . but seriously I am curious that why that would bother you. A wife is a non-entity really in the grand scheme of things. I could barely pick the wives out of a line-up when it comes to Presidents.
If you honestly believe that, you're a lot less political savvy than I was giving you credit for!

CarolinaDG 03-26-2004 11:39 PM

I would have to say if Republicans became pro-choice, pro-gun control, anti-death penalty, and anti-Laissez Faire economics, I might switch.

James 03-27-2004 12:00 PM

Are you talking about the phenomona of being "Half a PResident"?

Quote:

If you honestly believe that, you're a lot less political savvy than I was giving you credit for!

ThetaPrincess24 03-27-2004 12:41 PM

I have to agree with honeychile about the wife being born in America as well as the President...........I cant explain it but it just bothers me or would bother me if a non-american born President and First Lady were in the White House..........I just have a problem with that sorry.....

CarolinaDG 03-27-2004 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by ThetaPrincess24
I have to agree with honeychile about the wife being born in America as well as the President...........I cant explain it but it just bothers me or would bother me if a non-american born President and First Lady were in the White House..........I just have a problem with that sorry.....
Well, it's impossible for a non-american born President to be in the white house, anyway. I agree with that one. As far as the first lady, I feel like as long as she's a citizen and has been in the US for a considerable amount of time, it's fine. But I understand why you wouldn't want someone who wasn't American-born as first lady, too.

Is Kerry's wife non-American born?? Is that why this conversation came up? I know this is his second wife, but I didn't remember seeing anything about her being from another country.

honeychile 03-27-2004 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by CarolinaDG
Well, it's impossible for a non-american born President to be in the white house, anyway. I agree with that one. As far as the first lady, I feel like as long as she's a citizen and has been in the US for a considerable amount of time, it's fine. But I understand why you wouldn't want someone who wasn't American-born as first lady, too.

Is Kerry's wife non-American born?? Is that why this conversation came up? I know this is his second wife, but I didn't remember seeing anything about her being from another country.

Teresa Heinz Kerry was born in Africa, in Mozambique.

As I said before, I had the same problem when Sen. John Heinz was interested in the White House.

James, have you forgotten the much touted "Two for the price of one!" campaign?

Rudey 03-27-2004 01:56 PM

I'm thinking of flirting with Honeychile so I can marry into a political dynasty.

-Rudey