GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Sorority Recruitment (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=217)
-   -   What to tell overconfident PNMs (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=87932)

LAblondeGPhi 03-13-2014 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoCalGirl (Post 2265390)
I'm confused. Is "anymore" no longer a word?

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/anymore

It's still a word - it just wasn't the right word(s) for the sentence.

anymore = in the recent or present period of time

any more = some additional amount

33girl 03-13-2014 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sciencewoman (Post 2265392)
This is a very good lesson for winter recruitment.

Winter rush is all about Darwinism. It's so nice to have more to go on than a resume and glowing recs from Mummy and friends (none of whom have hung out with her after 8 pm since she was on elementary school).

dekeguy 03-13-2014 02:36 PM

When something like over confidence and arrogance happens don't you want to tell that group that since they are definitely going to get a bid from XYZ they should make sure the actives know that since you can have your pick of any house on campus you must insist that all of your group receive bids or you will decline en masse. Also be sure to explain that you think National rules about drinking and smoking in letters are silly and you are not going to put up with that. As a test of confidence they should all do the walk of shame before bid night and if that conflicts with a rush activity don't worry about it as the chapter will see this as a statement of your coolness.

BraveMaroon 03-13-2014 06:13 PM

One of my colleagues was telling me his daughter will be going to an SEC school with a notoriously tough recruitment. I asked if she was going to rush (as I would have offered to write a rec) and he said, "Yeah, she's going to be an XYZ". :eek:

I warned him that it wasn't that simple, and he explained that his mother was an XYZ, that he has a cousin in the XYZ National HQ, and that his daughter's BFF from HS has a sister who is an XYZ at this school. He said, "She has it locked down."

Well, OK then. I'll just mosey along...

Overconfident parents breed overconfident PNMs.

MysticCat 03-13-2014 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BraveMaroon (Post 2265428)
One of my colleagues was telling me his daughter will be going to an SEC school with a notoriously tough recruitment. I asked if she was going to rush (as I would have offered to write a rec) and he said, "Yeah, she's going to be an XYZ". :eek:

I warned him that it wasn't that simple, and he explained that his mother was an XYZ, that he has a cousin in the XYZ National HQ, and that his daughter's BFF from HS has a sister who is an XYZ at this school. He said, "She has it locked down."

Please let us know how that one turns out.

AnchorAlumna 03-14-2014 12:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MysticCat (Post 2265429)
Please let us know how that one turns out.

I'm "dittoing" this! :p

MaryPoppins 03-14-2014 07:20 AM

Quote:

Oh.my.stars . . . be prepared for him to look chagrined around skit night. Might want to prepare that, "lucky to be Greek at all at that school" talk.

carnation 03-14-2014 07:39 AM

I was at a high school recently and overheard a student saying that she would be rushing at Auburn. I said, "Do you have your recommendations in line?" and she replied dismissively, "Oh, no. I'm a legacy to 7 sororities."

OK, chica. You're out-of-state, I bet you're not a true legacy to 7, and there are probably at least 800 drop-dead-gorgeous girls rushing and you are at the other end of that spectrum, I fear. I hope a sorority is looking for a PNM with a high GPA.

FSUZeta 03-14-2014 08:31 AM

Quote:

About 8 years ago I had this exact same conversation with my son's basketball coach. Almost verbatim. So I was anxious to spy baby sister's name in the published bid list. I have been checking every year since that rush, and guess what? Baby sister's name has not appeared. Baby sister should be about 27 now.

Sciencewoman 03-14-2014 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 33girl (Post 2265395)
Winter rush is all about Darwinism. It's so nice to have more to go on than a resume and glowing recs from Mummy and friends (none of whom have hung out with her after 8 pm since she was on elementary school).

I want to see a winter PNM add "Total Campus Notoriety" to her resume achievements list.

Along with, "I have this locked down."

LAblondeGPhi 03-14-2014 09:53 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by carnation (Post 2265526)
I was at a high school recently and overheard a student saying that she would be rushing at Auburn. I said, "Do you have your recommendations in line?" and she replied dismissively, "Oh, no. I'm a legacy to 7 sororities."

OK, chica. You're out-of-state, I bet you're not a true legacy to 7, and there are probably at least 800 drop-dead-gorgeous girls rushing and you are at the other end of that spectrum, I fear. I hope a sorority is looking for a PNM with a high GPA.

We should get GreekChat pamphlets printed to hand out to these folks. I'm thinking something with a snazzy title like "So You're Going Through Recruitment at an SEC School: Why You're Not a Special Snowflake and How You Can Avoid Total Heartbreak"

HQWest 03-14-2014 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carnation (Post 2265526)

Maybe she has six older sisters and her mom was Greek? :confused:

carnation 03-14-2014 10:39 AM

Haha, sounds like when my 7th daughter rushed but she was only a legacy to 5 (4 of her sisters belonged to 2 sororities). I've heard this girl say that she only has a brother, though, and I'm betting she's counting cousins or aunts.

chi-o_cat 03-14-2014 11:32 AM

And it would depend on the organizations' legacy policies. Some include grandmothers; others don't. Then when you take into account step-mothers, step-sisters, etc.:

A PNM could have a mother, a step-mother, a (full) sister, step-sister, half-sister, and 2 grandmothers, each a member of a different sorority (assuming each relative falls under their respective org's legacy policy).

I'm not saying it's common, and probably not even very likely, but it's possible.

DeltaBetaBaby 03-14-2014 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chi-o_cat (Post 2265565)
And it would depend on the organizations' legacy policies. Some include grandmothers; others don't. Then when you take into account step-mothers, step-sisters, etc.:

A PNM could have a mother, a step-mother, a (full) sister, step-sister, half-sister, and 2 grandmothers, each a member of a different sorority (assuming each relative falls under their respective org's legacy policy).

I'm not saying it's common, and probably not even very likely, but it's possible.

Right, but I think it's FAR more common for PNM's to think they are a legacy through an aunt or a cousin.