GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Greek Life (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   To pledge or not to pledge a sorority? (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=117538)

SweetGirl20 12-27-2010 06:40 PM

To pledge or not to pledge a sorority?

So i知 currently a interest for a latin sorority. I have found out certain things that have pushed me away from wanting to pledge, like that they haze and make the girls do certain things which i知 not with. I really want to be part of the sorority tho but i feel like how can you possibly call girls that hit you in your face and haze you sisters. I wish that the old way of pledging was still around.*

I still want to do it, but i feel like i知 very undeceive at this point. I have a lot of negative and positive things about the sorority. but i feel that when being an interest one shouldn稚 get treated as interest but as proper human beings. In my case i get treated as an interest.*

I just wanted advice because i want to make the right choice. and although i really want to be part of this i知 afraid of making the wrong decision because the girls in it seem so fake to me at times, like they put up a front based on their sorority. like come on not everything about your sorority is good.

I知 also upset because my friend was an interest with me and she stopped being an interest because of the way the girls were treating her. I really wanted her to do it with me if i end up pledging, but i guess i cant count with her. I really understand her reason and feel like maybe i should stop too?*

my other reason for not wanting to stop is that i feel like i have been an interest for a while, and seeing the other girls get put online would upset me. I値l probably feel like damn i could have been on that line too. Truth is i can see me part of the sorority, but i feel hesitant in going through the process and being treated like crap.

KSUViolet06 12-27-2010 06:45 PM

Quit.

Or don't quit.

Either way, I fail to see why one needs to make a post throwing shade on said sorority in order to make that decision.

knight_shadow 12-27-2010 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SweetGirl20 (Post 2014847)
So i知 currently a interest for a latin sorority. I have found out certain things that have pushed me away from wanting to pledge, like that they haze and make the girls do certain things which i知 not with. I really want to be part of the sorority tho but i feel like how can you possibly call girls that hit you in your face and haze you sisters. I wish that the old way of pledging was still around.*

I still want to do it, but i feel like i知 very undeceive at this point. I have a lot of negative and positive things about the sorority. but i feel that when being an interest one shouldn稚 get treated as interest but as proper human beings. In my case i get treated as an interest.*

I just wanted advice because i want to make the right choice. and although i really want to be part of this i知 afraid of making the wrong decision because the girls in it seem so fake to me at times, like they put up a front based on their sorority. like come on not everything about your sorority is good.

I知 also upset because my friend was an interest with me and she stopped being an interest because of the way the girls were treating her. I really wanted her to do it with me if i end up pledging, but i guess i cant count with her. I really understand her reason and feel like maybe i should stop too?*

my other reason for not wanting to stop is that i feel like i have been an interest for a while, and seeing the other girls get put online would upset me. I値l probably feel like damn i could have been on that line too. Truth is i can see me part of the sorority, but i feel hesitant in going through the process and being treated like crap.

QFP

1. If you're using the terminology that you're using on purpose, you've kind of given away the sorority.

2. If not, how are you being hazed as an interest? Or are you basing this on hearsay?

3. Maybe you're just confused because you're not in the system, but if you aren't a member and you aspire to be on, then you ARE an interest and will be treated as one. Does that mean you should get hazed? No. But again, I'm not sure how they're hazing you as an interest.

FYI -- No one here can make the decision for you.

Gusteau 12-27-2010 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by knight_shadow (Post 2014859)
1. If you're using the terminology that you're using on purpose, you've kind of given away the sorority.

As in, even I knew. Oy.

NETrySIG89 12-27-2010 09:59 PM

Lambda Theta Alpha?

SweetGirl20 12-27-2010 10:12 PM

Hmm

I don't mean this in a bad way. What I mean is that every sorority has positive and negative things in them. And I'm not giving up the sorority. I actually like the sorority but I don't really know if it's for me. And I really like the alumnaes in it but the actual girls I don't know if they're frank with me and if they actually want me. That's what I was referring too, which is why I said that they seem fake to me at times. Now I don't know if their supposed to do that but I feel really bad because I don't know what to do, maybe I'm wasting my time. I don't know if you guys understand me but I'm very confused. I think about this everyday because I want to make the right choice. Or maybe I should just focus with school? I would appreciate someone to be frank with me and just give me advice. Thanx

knight_shadow 12-27-2010 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SweetGirl20 (Post 2014897)
I don't mean this in a bad way. What I mean is that every sorority has positive and negative things in them. And I'm not giving up the sorority. I actually like the sorority but I don't really know if it's for me. And I really like the alumnaes in it but the actual girls I don't know if they're frank with me and if they actually want me. That's what I was referring too, which is why I said that they seem fake to me at times. Now I don't know if their supposed to do that but I feel really bad because I don't know what to do, maybe I'm wasting my time. I don't know if you guys understand me but I'm very confused. I think about this everyday because I want to make the right choice. Or maybe I should just focus with school? I would appreciate someone to be frank with me and just give me advice. Thanx

This post is very confusing.

The sorority is not going to change for you. I'm not sure what you're needing our help with.

KSUViolet06 12-27-2010 10:17 PM

I'll be frank:

If you like this sorority or even think you want to be part of it, you probably shouldn't be saying these things (they "haze" and such) about them on the internet.

If they see this, they might decide to make the decision of whether you'll join FOR you.

NETrySIG89 12-27-2010 10:23 PM

I've lurked here awhile. I'm going to say something I might regret but whatever. I think that there is a trend that says "revealing a lot of specific GLO information is a bad thing". I don't think thats the case. A lot of people say "oh you've posted too much info!" I mean, they did that for a reason. so we can help them make a decision

Darling, join your sorority if you think its right for you. Bitches will be bitches though, so be wise about your choice. and hazing is wrong.

knight_shadow 12-27-2010 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NETrySIG89 (Post 2014906)
I've lurked here awhile. I'm going to say something I might regret but whatever. I think that there is a trend that says "revealing a lot of specific GLO information is a bad thing". I don't think thats the case. A lot of people say "oh you've posted too much info!" I mean, they did that for a reason. so we can help them make a decision

Darling, join your sorority if you think its right for you. Bitches will be bitches though, so be wise about your choice. and hazing is wrong.

*sigh*

Shut up.

NETrySIG89 12-27-2010 10:37 PM

Why should I shut up? I'm not going to tell people they're revealing too much info because they aren't. People will post what they feel comfortable with and if it bites them in the ass, thats not my problem

knight_shadow 12-27-2010 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NETrySIG89 (Post 2014912)
Why should I shut up? I'm not going to tell people they're revealing too much info because they aren't. People will post what they feel comfortable with and if it bites them in the ass, thats not my problem

If the information can potentially come back to bite someone in the ass, then yes, it is too much info. While we may not spoon-feed aspirants, we typically aren't in the business of sabotaging them.

If you were a lurker, you'd know that.

SweetGirl20 12-27-2010 10:45 PM

thank you so much NETrySIG89. I'm not trying to disrespect any sorority or anyone I'm simply asking for advice because my parents don't seem to understand and asking them for advice would be intimidating.

By the way how can I simply get the sorority into trouble when all I said was that it's a Latin sorority. I never mentioned any sorority name, state, or school. all I said was 1/8 of what they do because that's not even everything. and I know I'm not supposed to be writing this but how else can I get advice if I have no one to ask?

You have no idea how much I want to be apart of this but I find someone touching someone else in the face to be very disrespectful.

knight_shadow 12-27-2010 10:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SweetGirl20 (Post 2014915)
thank you so much NETrySIG89. I'm not trying to disrespect any sorority or anyone I'm simply asking for advice because my parents don't seem to understand and asking them for advice would be intimidating.

By the way how can I simply get the sorority into trouble when all I said was that it's a Latin sorority. I never mentioned any sorority name, state, or school. all I said was 1/8 of what they do because that's not even everything. and I know I'm not supposed to be writing this but how else can I get advice if I have no one to ask?

You have no idea how much I want to be apart of this but I find someone touching someone else in the face to be very disrespectful.

By using the terminology that you did, you give the sorority away.

You still haven't said how you know they are hazing. Have they hazed you, or is this accusation based on hearsay?

SweetGirl20 12-27-2010 11:05 PM

I actually don't think you know which sorority it is. And I can't really explain but I guess it would be based on hearsay, and I haven't been hazed but I actually know people who have been.