GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Recruitment (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Weird rush stories (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=11313)

tunatartare 10-20-2006 02:22 PM

I thought she was asking about where she could attend an Alopecia Awareness seminar.

honeychile 10-20-2006 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smiley21 (Post 1343104)
If so, she should have known to word it better than "AA meeting". lol

I always run into trouble when I abbreviate Alumnae Association meetings!

polarpi 10-20-2006 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by honeychile (Post 1343124)
I always run into trouble when I abbreviate Alumnae Association meetings!

You and me both ;)

/hijack

BadSquirrelBeta 10-20-2006 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AngieWashU (Post 1343069)
During formal recruitment this fall, one of the members of the chapter I advise had the following conversation:
DG: What activities were you involved in during high school?
PNM: Oh, I liked doing community service, especially environmental stuff... do you know if there's an AA meeting near here?
DG: Um... no, I don't.

Let's just say that PNM is not a new member of DG.

OH.MY.GOD...that one is a cake taker for sure. My kids are looking at me and asking why I burst out laughing.

KSUViolet06 10-21-2006 12:05 AM

One of the freshmen I work with went to a COB event at a sorority a few weeks ago. She told me this kind of random story at work last week:

She is very involved on campus. She's someone that I think anyone would like to have in their chapter. She is also dating a university football player (it's part of the story).

She wanted to join a sorority, and she had a friend in this chapter, who invited her to COB.

She showed up at the event and not even two minutes in the door, the first thing a sister says to her is "Welcome to ABC, oh hey, you're that girl who is dating Mike ________, OMG I saw your pics on Facebook, they're like SOOO cute!" She was just like "um ok hi".

She was kind of weirded out by that, but she just figured "whatever that's just one person out of like 60, I'm sure not everyone here is going to ask me that. "

So the COB was a dinner at a local restaurant. The ABC she sat next to at the restaurant seemed really nice, until she said "OMG so if you like, get a bid from us, will you bring your hot bf to date party?" She just kind of smiled and said "sure."

So, to make along story short, no one in the chapter asked anything remotely revelant to getting to know her. They just kept discussing Mike ______ and football.

She stayed for another hour, hoping that the girls would start to ask her some more substantial questions. She was getting a little exasperated with the constant mentioning of her boyfriend.

The last straw was when she was eating. A girl comes in late to the event and sees her. She says, "OMG it's Mike ______'s girlfriend! It'd be sooo cool to have you in the chapter, we could all sit together in the good football seats!"

After that, she was really annoyed. So she politely told the girls that she had alot of homework to do and it was late, so she had to go.

Well, the next morning, she got a call from this sorority asking her back to a second COB event. She declined of course.

TSteven 10-23-2006 01:22 PM

I knew of this girl, we'll call her Sarah, :D and she was at a rush party at one of the "top houses" on campus. She and her twin were major legacies to this chapter. In any case, right before she was leaving from the open party, the president of the chapter came up to say 'hello' - she had a glass of punch in her hand - and when Sarah shook hands with the president, the glass of punch in the president's hand shattered and punch got all over the president. Sarah was quite upset and left, yet my understanding is that the chapter still wanted Sarah to join. Frankly, I think they would have killed to have her initiate. However, Sarah ended up pledging another sorority on campus. ;)

nauadpi 10-23-2006 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TSteven (Post 1344088)
I knew of this girl, we'll call her Sarah, :D and she was at a rush party at one of the "top houses" on campus. She and her twin were major legacies to this chapter. In any case, right before she was leaving from the open party, the president of the chapter came up to say 'hello' - she had a glass of punch in her hand - and when Sarah shook hands with the president, the glass of punch in the president's hand shattered and punch got all over the president. Sarah was quite upset and left, yet my understanding is that the chapter still wanted Sarah to join. Frankly, I think they would have killed to have her initiate. However, Sarah ended up pledging another sorority on campus. ;)

Who else was watching the remake of "The Initiation of Sarah" last night.

TSteven 10-23-2006 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nauadpi (Post 1344093)

The what of who? Never heard of it.

twinkle555 10-23-2006 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nauadpi (Post 1344093)

i caught the last 45 mintues..i wish i could have watched the whole thing! it was weird..but interesting too.

nauadpi 10-23-2006 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twinkle555 (Post 1344172)
i caught the last 45 mintues..i wish i could have watched the whole thing! it was weird..but interesting too.

It is on again Tuesday night I believe... I wasn't sure I wanted to watch it then, so I check out the tvguide and saw it was playing again later in the week. I did end up getting sucked into it last night though.

AlexMack 10-31-2006 11:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TSteven (Post 1344088)

I love GC sometimes!

kk_bama 11-06-2006 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carnation (Post 112409)
I don't think I told this one...we had a rushee come through the door wearing an orange and purple dress, orange hose, purple shoes, and a huge orange bow in her hair. She socked the rush chairman DeeDee in the arm hard and drawled, "Hi, DayDay, I'm ___ ___ from Altoona, Alabama!"

Forgive me, this quote is from literally the first page of this thread ... I've just started reading GC again after a couple months and never saw this one from the beginning.

I probably so shouldn't say this, but my boyfriend's dad is originally from Altoona. So I hope she is in no way related to my boyfriend. :eek:

carnation 11-06-2006 08:40 PM

I'll pm you.

kk_bama 11-06-2006 08:44 PM

Phew. I think we're all clear. ;)

UGAalum94 11-06-2006 09:01 PM

I found myself wondering if Carnation's guest was a displaced Clemson fan.

Carnation, do you really remember the names of girls you met at rush? I'm completely impressed by that.

carnation 11-06-2006 09:13 PM

Good heavens, no! She's the only one whose name I remembered--and only because she was so weird and also she blared out her name for all to hear.

She sure looked like a Clemson fan...my memory of that woman is as clear as if it happened yesterday.:( Poor "DayDay".

UGAalum94 11-06-2006 09:37 PM

She sure sounds unforgettable!

I can remember some girls talking about rushee who wanted to be known by her hometown nickname of "Little Bit." Apparently her grandfather had given her this nickname, and the town was small enough that everyone called her "Li'l Bit" her whole life. There was no reason in her mind that people she just met shouldn't call her that too.

I guess it never occured to her that it would make folks see her in a Dogpatch
kind of light, but I think it did.

carnation 11-06-2006 10:38 PM

Now I have to know if she pledged!

Boy, you have to watch those kinds of nicknames. Mr. Carnation's aunt has always been called "Little Bit" and looking at old pictures, you can see where it came from. Since I've known her, however, she's been around 275 lbs. and almost everybody still calls her that and the poor woman truly wishes they'd quit.

AChiOhSnap 11-06-2006 11:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alphagamuga (Post 1352907)
She sure sounds unforgettable!
I guess it never occured to her that it would make folks see her in a Dogpatch
kind of light, but I think it did.

As a former musical theatre geek, I really appreciate this reference :)

honeychile 11-07-2006 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AChiOhSnap (Post 1352963)
As a former musical theatre geek, I really appreciate this reference :)

I always think of Delta Zeta when I hear Dogpatch - they did a skit to that for years!

UGAalum94 11-07-2006 05:52 PM

Li'l Bit

I don't know if she pledged: I wish I knew.
UGA is such a big place that I don't think I ever heard of Li'l Bit again.
(Or maybe she dropped the nickname once classes started.)

Carnation, I agree that it would be a hard nickname to live down, especially as one became more substantial.

I actually looked up Li'l Abner to see where the apostrophe went. I was tempted to go with Lil' Bit.

33girl 11-08-2006 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alphagamuga (Post 1353335)
I actually looked up Li'l Abner to see where the apostrophe went. I was tempted to go with Lil' Bit.

The apostrophe goes where the first letters are omitted.

example: Guns 'n Roses

But you get a big hug from this grammar whore for actually checking it. :D

MSKKG 11-08-2006 10:45 AM

Technically, there should be an apostrophe for all letters omitted: Guns 'n' Roses.

I guess "Li'l" is used for Li'l Abner since the "e" is silent?

twinkle555 01-24-2007 11:16 AM

one of our PNMs actually insulted us. she was talking to one of my sisters and casually mentioned that "some of our girls were really pretty, but some were really ugly." :eek: i cant believe she had no problem saying that in front of us! then she whipped out her cell phone and had a short conversation right then and there. oh and she also commented on the "huge" size of my boobs lol..which i cant figure out if its a compliment or a insult :p

after the last day of recruitment, me and one of my other sisters were sitting in front of one of the more popular buildings and the girl spotted us. she came over and talked my sister about "no hard feelings about us not giving her a bid" and mentioned that she was going to go to the other spring rushes for XYZ and ABC sororities. we definitly warned the other sororities ahead of time! not only did she come up to us out of no where acting like a friend..she called my sister (who i was sitting with) one of her "best friends"..on facebook!! needless to say we were creeped out!:eek:

amanda6035 01-24-2007 11:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twinkle555 (Post 1388562)
..she called my sister (who i was sitting with) one of her "best friends"..on facebook!! needless to say we were creeped out!:eek:

oh my god, that sounds like this girl....uh...

Gee, I really wanna tell this story, but it's current - like RIGHT NOW going on....my president would shoot me if I posted it...

Basically, long story short, there's this one girl who has annoyed the piss out of both sororities, and neither wants her and she doesnt know how to take NO for an answer. She doesnt understand the concept of "okay, thats great, you want us. Guess what, we havent invited you. Back off!" yet.

If you want more details, PM me, I cant post it publicly.

NikkiB 04-19-2007 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoldDustRhia (Post 1073752)
I was a PMN in Fall of '03. It was pref night, and I was at the last house of my three invites for that evening. I was trying to keep an open mind but I had already fallen in love with my house, and was never really impressed with this house all through rush. XYZ house was the last invite of the evening and I was trying to be polite,attentive and respect their ceremony. While I was being hard rushed after the ceremony, the girl who was hard rushing me grabbed my hand, looked me straight in the eye and told me "I can see you being president of this sorority one day." I was freaking out because I knew that both of those things were HUGE rush infractions. Who says that to a PMN? Needless to say I only ranked 2/3 houses that night...

I went through rush last fall, and knew by day 2 I wanted to be a Kappa. Another house on campus was known for taking anyone, and they really liked me. The same girl rushed me the last 3 days, inlcuding pref day, and on pref day kept hugging me and telling me she couldnt wait to see me in her letters and be my sister. then on bid day, we were all at the fountain and her sorority was next to Kappa and she walks over to me and goes "I'm so disappointed. WHY DIDNT YOU ACCEPT OUR BID?!" yelling the last part at the top of her lungs. it was a special experience

cuteASAbug 04-19-2007 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NikkiB (Post 1432501)
I went through rush last fall, and knew by day 2 I wanted to be a Kappa. Another house on campus was known for taking anyone, and they really liked me. The same girl rushed me the last 3 days, inlcuding pref day, and on pref day kept hugging me and telling me she couldnt wait to see me in her letters and be my sister. then on bid day, we were all at the fountain and her sorority was next to Kappa and she walks over to me and goes "I'm so disappointed. WHY DIDNT YOU ACCEPT OUR BID?!" yelling the last part at the top of her lungs. it was a special experience

Wow. That is some story. Couldn't she have gotten into a lot of trouble for blatantly promising you a bid like that?

NikkiB 04-19-2007 02:52 PM

I thought so, but she was really sweet and I didn't want to get her in trouble. i still see her around campus, and if I'm wearing letters, she just glares at me. Lucky for me their house is 2 streets away from ours, lol

guardedbystars 05-14-2007 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NikkiB (Post 1432501)

I do not understand why girls HUG/grab their PNMs... I don't want them to hug me if I had just met them, so I wouldn't hug them.

It's a HUGE difference between leading them into a room by touching their shoulder or arm lightly and grabbing/constantly hugging a PNM.

KSUViolet06 05-14-2007 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by guardedbystars (Post 1447450)
I do not understand why girls HUGtheir PNMs... I don't want them to hug me if I had just met them, so I wouldn't hug them.

Yeah I don't get this either. We were always instructed not to hug a PNM unless they initiate it. I once greeted a girl at the door during House Tours day who practically JUMPED into my arms when I went to open the door. I had no choice but to hug her back.:eek:

honeychile 05-14-2007 11:16 PM

Nikki's experience is soo much like mine! When I accepted my bid, we had an All Greek Mixer that night. Sounds nice, right, all Greeks accepting celebrating their bids? Wrong! AT LEAST six of the sisters of the other sorority I preffed came over, hugged me, and cried on my shoulder! My shirt was absolutely soggy from their tears and possibly worse. My new sisters were absolutely aghast at them!

guardedbystars 05-15-2007 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by honeychile (Post 1447493)
Nikki's experience is soo much like mine! When I accepted my bid, we had an All Greek Mixer that night. Sounds nice, right, all Greeks accepting celebrating their bids? Wrong! AT LEAST six of the sisters of the other sorority I preffed came over, hugged me, and cried on my shoulder! My shirt was absolutely soggy from their tears and possibly worse. My new sisters were absolutely aghast at them!

Ugh, I would be too. That's so weird!

KSUViolet06 05-15-2007 04:44 PM

Here's a gem for you guys:

6 of our sororities have houses, 4 of which are on the same street. After Bid Night, we all go back to our houses to start our Bid Night parties and take our pics.

Two sororities on our road, AB & CD pref alot of the same girls during rush, so sometimes a girl will end up getting AB when she really wanted CD or vice versa.

This past year, there was a girl who got a bid to AB, but was visibly upset because her first choice was CD. AB is across from our house, so we could see them taking their pics.

We were taking our bid night pics in our front yard. We could see a girl from AB walking across to the CD yard toward a girl in an AB bid shirt. She was hysterical & crying on a CD girl's shoulder. It turns out, the other AB sister was trying to convince her to come over and take bid pics.

UGAalum94 05-15-2007 06:10 PM

It's sad and weird. I understand it a little more from the girl's perspective since she thinks she REALLY wanted the group, but the group members ought to know better than to act that way. What are your new members thinking while they see you weeping about the girls who went someplace else?

Honeychile, in your case, were they people that you actually knew from your hometown or are we talking people who you had only known a week?

I do think the idea of an all Greek mixer shortly after bid day would be a great idea. Maybe not on bid day, but soon after.

ZTA zetahunny 05-15-2007 07:26 PM

This is horrible, but when I rushed, the air conditioning went out at the ABC house. I only remember was how everyone had sweaty shiny faces. The rusheers were so distracted and caught off guard. I just remember how hot it was and listening to apologies. It was awful for them... Quota was 32..They pledged 12. They recovered. I think they are on top now.

Football Fan 05-17-2007 12:32 PM

This is a story told to me by an older neighbor who went through rush at the Univ. of Arizona in the days when rushees had to dress in heels, stockings and dresses.

My neighbor had been Homecoming Queen, Valedictorian, etc. and was having a dream rush. She was a tall, slim natural blonde. It was nearly the end of rush with longer parties, but the rushees had to stand out in the blazing Arizona sun to wait on the sidewalk. She is fair and was suffering in the 115o heat.

Arizona Girl decided she had to take off her high heels. Mistake! Immediately her feet began to swell badly. Oh, dear. She thought it might help to walk across the grass which had to be cooler than the cement. How could she go into *** house without shoes? Arizona Girl proceeded to walk across the grass when the powerful automatic sprinklers went on! In seconds she was drenched. Her dress was soaked; her hair was dripping down her shoulders. Oops! It was now time for the party at *** house. In she went shoeless, soaked and dripping. The *** members were not amused. At the next house, another top house, she arrived still wet and bedraggled. Fortunately, these girls thought it was hilarious and the funniest thing they had seen so far in rush. She pledged the second house and had four happy years there. Later she was an active alumna and long time advisor for another chapter of &&&.

honeychile 05-19-2007 12:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alphagamuga (Post 1447961)
Honeychile, in your case, were they people that you actually knew from your hometown or are we talking people who you had only known a week?

I do think the idea of an all Greek mixer shortly after bid day would be a great idea. Maybe not on bid day, but soon after.

It was a mix. I knew two of the sisters from high school, and found out later that I had been another's "rush crush". The other three, I had just met that week! Seriously, the one had such a hold on my neck, it really hurt - to say nothing of the tears!!

I agree about the All Greek Mixer - just NOT on Bid Night! Bid Night/Day should be for getting to know your newly expanded family.

KSUViolet06 07-17-2007 03:58 PM

This was a fun one, so I'll bring it up again :)

AlphaFrog 07-17-2007 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 (Post 1486766)
This was a fun one, so I'll bring it up again :)

You are not allowed to bump this thread without a story. You always have the best stories, and you got me excited for no reason.

KSUViolet06 07-17-2007 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlphaFrog (Post 1486770)
You are not allowed to bump this thread without a story. You always have the best stories, and you got me excited for no reason.

I have the KSU greek system to thank for all my awesome stories. It's as if all of the crazies, bitches, brats, and social retards lay low until September and then BAM! They all decide to sign up for recruitment. It's nuts.

I'm assisting with recruitment this fall so I'll have plenty of stories for you guys!