GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Fraternity Recruitment (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=218)
-   -   Suspending bylaws for a potential new member - worth it? (fraternity) (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=135765)

RCM2020 08-31-2013 06:44 PM

Suspending bylaws for a potential new member - worth it? (fraternity)

We have a potential new member who has a GPA of 2.72, and our requirement is a 2.80. Some members want to suspend the bylaws and vote-him in, and then work with him to improve his academics. I like this idea, but I also like upholding standards and recruiting men who are already doing well. Has anyone ever taken this approach before, and has seen succeed or failure? I know he's trying, but maybe a fraternity can make him better, while also keeping an eye to make sure he isn't overly indulging himself in the social aspect.

DeltaBetaBaby 08-31-2013 06:47 PM

Why didn't he make grades? The only time I have seen it work out is when someone was in over their head in a single class, and that pulled their GPA way down. This was common for, like, education majors who had to take one calc class or something.

ThetaPrincess24 08-31-2013 06:47 PM

I would support the bylaws. If the chapter does not like the bylaws then the chapter should change the bylaws to allow for a grade risk to a certain point or to change your bylaws to lower your standards so men with sub-par GPAs can be given bids without a problem.

Kevin 08-31-2013 06:50 PM

If he can make a vote to suspend the bylaws, that's why you have the ability to suspend the bylaws. Some brothers will no doubt think 2.80 is where you should cut off. Follow the rules, let it go to a vote, the process will work. Which side you fall on is up to you.

jazing 09-03-2013 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin (Post 2235782)
If he can make a vote to suspend the bylaws, that's why you have the ability to suspend the bylaws. Some brothers will no doubt think 2.80 is where you should cut off. Follow the rules, let it go to a vote, the process will work. Which side you fall on is up to you.

This. If you have it in your bylaws that you can vote to suspend and the chapter agrees, do it. If the chapter vote does not, then don't. Ethically, I don't see the difference between a 2.72 and a 2.80. Both are moderately high GPA that you as the fraternity can help improve.

MysticCat 09-03-2013 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThetaPrincess24 (Post 2235780)
I would support the bylaws.

I tend to agree with Kevin and jazing. If the bylaws allow for suspension, then the chapter availing itself of that option is anticipated by and consistent with the bylaws. It's when the chapter finds itself repeatedly suspending the bylaws to waive the GPA requirement that it should ask itself whether the GPA requirement itself should be changed.

WestcoastWonder 09-03-2013 07:47 PM

2.72 isn't that bad. It's a B- average and he was close to a 2.8.

Quote:

It's when the chapter finds itself repeatedly suspending the bylaws to waive the GPA requirement that it should ask itself whether the GPA requirement itself should be changed.
And I definitely agree with Mystic. If the majority of brothers agree that the bylaws should be suspended, then perhaps they should and you guys should change the bylaws so you can do things like this on a case by case basis or think about changing the requirement .

thetalady 09-03-2013 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RCM2020 (Post 2235777)
We have a potential new member who has a GPA of 2.72, and our requirement is a 2.80. Some members want to suspend the bylaws and vote-him in, and then work with him to improve his academics. I like this idea, but I also like upholding standards and recruiting men who are already doing well. Has anyone ever taken this approach before, and has seen succeed or failure? I know he's trying, but maybe a fraternity can make him better, while also keeping an eye to make sure he isn't overly indulging himself in the social aspect.

Just don't forget to take into consideration that his GPA will bring down the overall average of your fraternity. When GPAs are reported to Greek Life & you see how much the grade risk impacts your rank, it might be more of an issue with your nationals. Not an easy decision.