GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Greek Life (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Bill would ban fraternities, sororities at Tennessee's state colleges & universities (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=242392)

NinjaPoodle 01-31-2018 01:09 AM

Bill would ban fraternities, sororities at Tennessee's state colleges & universities

"Fraternities and sororities would be banned at Tennessee's state colleges and universities under a newly filed bill.

The legislation, HB 2042, would, however, allow professional fraternities that promote "the interests of a particular profession" and honor societies.

All other fraternities and sororities "shall not be recognized or otherwise permitted to associate with, or operate on the campus of, any state institution of higher education," according to the measure.

The bill's sponsor is Rep. John DeBerry, D-Memphis, a graduate of Freed-Hardeman University and the University of Memphis. "

Read more at link

https://www.tennessean.com/story/new...medium=twitter

AnchorAlumna 01-31-2018 02:48 AM

I doubt that bill will get very far.

33girl 01-31-2018 05:56 AM

Idiotic. Someone must need a "think of the children" issue to hang his reelection campaign on.

Kevin 01-31-2018 09:05 AM

Unconstitutional AF.

ASTalumna06 01-31-2018 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin (Post 2453214)
Unconstitutional AF.

Right?

And if you're going to ban any organizations from an entire state, I could think of a few more that might be SLIGHTLY worse and would easily take precedence over Greek organizations.

:rolleyes: at this bill.

Just for a second, though, imagine if this passed (or was close to passing). Think of how many pissed off people DeBerry would be facing.

panhelrose 01-31-2018 09:37 AM

Between my experience having interned for a congressman from Tennessee on Capitol Hill and having lived in Tennessee for a period of time, I can confidently say this bill will be received poorly by the majority of people in Tennessee. Greek unity is strong in Tennessee, and many influential people in the community (politicians included) are Greek. Maybe this would pass somewhere with a lot less Greek presence, but even then I doubt it's constitutional (first amendment right to peacefully assemble?).

ASTalumna06 01-31-2018 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by panhelrose (Post 2453216)
Between my experience having interned for a congressman from Tennessee on Capitol Hill and having lived in Tennessee for a period of time, I can confidently say this bill will be received poorly by the majority of people in Tennessee. Greek unity is strong in Tennessee, and many influential people in the community (politicians included) are Greek. Maybe this would pass somewhere with a lot less Greek presence, but even then I doubt it's constitutional (first amendment right to peacefully assemble?).

This was my first thought: on top of everyone else, how many politicians are Greek? This guy will be fighting an uphill battle.

Kevin 01-31-2018 11:36 AM

It's not like he is the first person to think of this. A lot of people believe GLOs should be banned for various reasons because once FSL is eradicated, 19-22 year olds will no longer do stupid things. It's a very noble goal.

NinjaPoodle 01-31-2018 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin (Post 2453228)
It's not like he is the first person to think of this. A lot of people believe GLOs should be banned for various reasons because once FSL is eradicated, 19-22 year olds will no longer do stupid things. It's a very noble goal.

At the rate greek life, in general, is going, we may end up eradicating ourselves.

OldFLDDD 02-01-2018 02:46 PM

They should ban athletics while they're at it, and also raise the age of college freshmen to, idk, maybe 30?