GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Sorority Recruitment (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=217)
-   -   "Early Bids" by One Dartmouth Local Sorority (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=122065)

exlurker 09-22-2011 09:05 PM

"Early Bids" by One Dartmouth Local Sorority
 
One of the local sororities at Dartmouth will “offer early bids” today (Sept. 22), according to the student paper. For details on this relatively unusual move, see:

http://thedartmouth.com/2011/09/21/news/rush

Excerpt from the much longer article^^:

“Epsilon Kappa Theta sorority will offer early bids to members of the Class of 2014 on Thursday, Sept. 22, before the official Panhellenic recruitment process begins Sept. 30, according to an email sent by Panhell to female members of the Class of 2014 on Tuesday. Students who receive bids will be able to bypass the formal rush process, the email said.”

DeltaBetaBaby 09-22-2011 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by exlurker (Post 2093903)
One of the local sororities at Dartmouth will “offer early bids” today (Sept. 22), according to the student paper. For details on this relatively unusual move, see:

http://thedartmouth.com/2011/09/21/news/rush

Excerpt from the much longer article^^:

“Epsilon Kappa Theta sorority will offer early bids to members of the Class of 2014 on Thursday, Sept. 22, before the official Panhellenic recruitment process begins Sept. 30, according to an email sent by Panhell to female members of the Class of 2014 on Tuesday. Students who receive bids will be able to bypass the formal rush process, the email said.”

My first reaction is that this sounds like a small group trying to catch up, and put a positive spin on it.

exlurker 09-22-2011 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeltaBetaBaby (Post 2093910)
My first reaction is that this sounds like a small group trying to catch up, and put a positive spin on it.

Very probably true, and pretty much supported by several of the "comments" linked to the story in the college paper. Whatever it is, it seems to me that it's unusual to do it a week before recruitment officially starts.

preciousjeni 09-22-2011 09:56 PM

My immediate thought was that this situation would cause EKT to have an unfair advantage. One commenter mentioned something to this effect, going so far as to call it dirty rushing.

However, the article says that

Quote:

Panhell approached EKT with the idea for the new rush event last year as a way to “stabilize” sorority membership numbers before bringing in a ninth sorority. Other sororities had requested smaller pledge class quotas, and Panhell was concerned that the quota would be smaller than the large number of graduating seniors in EKT, Nicholson said.
[Emphasis mine]

In a world where locals are often on the outs, this Panhell seems to be on the right track.

thetalady 09-22-2011 11:49 PM

WOW :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

I read the history of this local, which is a former Kappa Alpha Theta chapter. Just. Wow.

http://www.dartmouth.edu/~ekt/about.html

diamondshine 09-23-2011 12:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thetalady (Post 2093960)
WOW :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

I read the history of this local, which is a former Kappa Alpha Theta chapter. Just. Wow.

http://www.dartmouth.edu/~ekt/about.html

That is quite a history.

Low C Sharp 09-23-2011 12:12 AM

Shoulda seen that page back when it mentioned elements of Theta ritual that the local disagreed with. I don't know when they edited it.

thetalady 09-23-2011 12:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Low C Sharp (Post 2093971)
Shoulda seen that page back when it mentioned elements of Theta ritual that the local disagreed with. I don't know when they edited it.

I wish I could type a longgggg whistle... how disrespectful. Glad they thought better of it & took it down.

preciousjeni 09-23-2011 12:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thetalady (Post 2093960)
WOW :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

I read the history of this local, which is a former Kappa Alpha Theta chapter. Just. Wow.

http://www.dartmouth.edu/~ekt/about.html

I can't believe that's on a website where the public can see it.

violetpretty 09-23-2011 12:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thetalady (Post 2093960)
WOW :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

I read the history of this local, which is a former Kappa Alpha Theta chapter. Just. Wow.

http://www.dartmouth.edu/~ekt/about.html

Sigma Delta used to be a chapter of Sigma Kappa. Same deal.

jenidallas 09-23-2011 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thetalady (Post 2093960)
WOW :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

I read the history of this local, which is a former Kappa Alpha Theta chapter. Just. Wow.

http://www.dartmouth.edu/~ekt/about.html

One of my close friends was in that house and graduated in 1992 (the year of all the controversy) and I've heard a lot about that time period from her - the version they have on the website now is a very sugar-coated version of what went on. VERY sugar-coated.

They ultimately wanted to be a local and govern like a local and behave like a renegade fraternity, but have the benefit of national affiliation after they graduated and scattered to other cities. Given the circumstances, I can't see the national doing anything BUT what they did.

AOII Angel 09-23-2011 10:44 AM

LOL...apparently there were no art majors around when they founded EKT. blue and red are not "opposites"...blue and orange/ red and green would be "opposite" or complimentary colors. Just something I noticed.

33girl 09-23-2011 11:02 AM

You have to remember that things were VERY different (as in much looser regarding risk management) when EKT colonized as a chapter, in 1984. IMO, Theta made the mistake by not taking a firm hand with the chapter to begin with. At any school, but ESPECIALLY a school like Dartmouth, you can't just assume that things will be done just because a large governing body says to do them. If you don't want to deal with that sort of challenge, don't colonize at Dartmouth.

Some of those comments are asinine. Actually, I don't know why this is an article. Sorority gives out open bids to eligible members. Why is this front page news?

naraht 09-23-2011 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Low C Sharp (Post 2093971)
Shoulda seen that page back when it mentioned elements of Theta ritual that the local disagreed with. I don't know when they edited it.

They got rid of the elements of the Theta Ritual between December 4, 2004 and February 6, 2005.

naraht 09-23-2011 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jenidallas (Post 2094026)
One of my close friends was in that house and graduated in 1992 (the year of all the controversy) and I've heard a lot about that time period from her - the version they have on the website now is a very sugar-coated version of what went on. VERY sugar-coated.

They ultimately wanted to be a local and govern like a local and behave like a renegade fraternity, but have the benefit of national affiliation after they graduated and scattered to other cities. Given the circumstances, I can't see the national doing anything BUT what they did.

I read the

"The sisters of EK Colony had received consultants before, and were usually able to squelch fraternizing and imbibing for long enough to accommodate them. "

and went "This is part of your justification as to why you left KATh?


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:44 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.