GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Greek Life (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Dual Memberships (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=86918)

SAEalumnus 05-02-2007 04:50 PM

Dual Memberships

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leslie Anne (Post 1438981)
I hate to double post but...

This has been an interesting thread and one of the only ones on this topic that hasn't turned ugly. However, considering the number of times this issue is brought up, don't you think it might warrant a sticky either in the Greek Life section or in Sorority (and Fraternity) Recruitment?

It could be quite simple:

Dual Membership

Two NPCs - not allowed
An NPC and an NPHC - not allowed
A local and an NPC - allowed but you may have to drop your membership with the local, ask about it
A service sorority or fraternity and an NPC - allowed

etc., etc.

When someone asks again, they can just be directed to the sticky. End of discussion.

Just a thought.

By popular demand. :) Allowed/Not Allowed conditions can be posted here and used for future reference.

ladygreek 05-02-2007 06:16 PM

Two NPHCs - not allowed
Non-NPC and NPHC - may be allowed, check with the organization.

DSTRen13 05-02-2007 06:24 PM

A service sorority or fraternity and an NPHC - allowed.
Two service sororities and/or fraternities - may be allowed, check with the organizations in question.

ladygreek 05-02-2007 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DSTRen13 (Post 1439944)
A service sorority or fraternity and an NPHC - allowed.
Two service sororities and/or fraternities - may be allowed, check with the organizations in question.

Actually when I said non-NPC it was inclusive of all other kinds of GLOs. And since I don't know the rules of the other D4 regarding it, I said may be allowed.

Senusret I 05-02-2007 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ladygreek (Post 1439945)
Actually when I said non-NPC it was inclusive of all other kinds of GLOs. And since I don't know the rules of the other D4 regarding it, I said may be allowed.

In this case, I think we should distinguish between service GLOs and general/social ones.

For example, I know NPHC orgs don't prohibit GSS or APO membership, but (at least my interpretation of my org's rules) is that you can't join if you were in ANY fraternity that was social/general.

No pledging a latino frat then changing your mind..... no founding a local and then switching teams.

Scandia 05-02-2007 07:11 PM

How about professional, cultural (other than NPHC), or religious based fraternities and sororities?

1908Revelations 05-02-2007 07:14 PM

One of my sorors is in a Christian Sorority.

ETA
Varies....Check with orgs in question

Senusret I 05-02-2007 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1908Revelations (Post 1439966)
One of my sorors is in a Christian Sorority.

I've heard of this very rarely.... this needs to be in the FAQs of those orgs, because I know some don't allow dual membership and others do.

Leslie Anne 05-02-2007 07:22 PM

Thanks so much for making this a sticky, SAEalumnus!

Now, for the record and for posterity:

Membership in two different NPCs - NOT ALLOWED! (even if it's at another campus)

If you were a New Member of one NPC and you were not initiated, you may pledge another NPC. However, you MUST wait one calendar year to accept a bid from the other NPC.

No "ifs", "ands", or "buts". End of story.

Thank you and have a nice day.:)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Apparently, that wasn't the end of the story. I've been informed by ISUKappa that waiting one calendar year to accept a bid from another NPC is only necessary if you stay on the same campus.

GDIfly 05-02-2007 08:30 PM

I'm glad this sticky got posted, because I've been wanting to ask, purely out of curiosity, about (social) locals + NPHC but didn't want to post another annoying thread like the 5 million that get posted a day. I guess Senruset answered sufficiently, unless it is different for NPHC sororities?

ladygreek 05-02-2007 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GDIfly (Post 1439999)
I'm glad this sticky got posted, because I've been wanting to ask, purely out of curiosity, about (social) locals + NPHC but didn't want to post another annoying thread like the 5 million that get posted a day. I guess Senruset answered sufficiently, unless it is different for NPHC sororities?

For Delta the prohibition is only for another NPHC or NPC sorority. And in fact it says is now or ever have been--meaning if you denounced your previous sorority you still cannot join Delta.

Other social, service, professional, cultural, etc. --fine.

emb021 05-08-2007 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DSTRen13 (Post 1439944)

Let's see. There is only one service fraternity- APO and two service sororities- GSS and OPA.

APO places no restriction on members joining other organizations or being a member of other orgs (we have long been proud of our members being members of other groups).

I am not aware of either GSS or OPA placing restrictions on their members joining (or being a member) of other organizations. While I wouldn't see a problem with something being in APO & GSS or APO & OPA, some might have an issue with being in GSS & OPA, but am unaware of any such rule. Those who are part of GSS & OPA should be able to add to this.

emb021 05-08-2007 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scandia (Post 1439962)
How about professional, cultural (other than NPHC), or religious based fraternities and sororities?

Professional- only restriction I know of is you can't be member of more then one of the same 'type'. That is, there are multiple professional business fraternities. Can only join one. But you could be a member of different types of professional GLO. (my dad is a member of a Business and a Law fraternity).

I think its rare that you have multiple professional GLO of the same type at the same school, so would only be an issue with transfers or going to grad school at a different university.

ISUKappa 05-08-2007 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leslie Anne (Post 1439973)
If you were a new member of one NPC and you were not initiated, you may pledge another NPC. However, you MUST wait one calendar year to accept a bid from the other NPC.

No "ifs", "ands", or "buts". End of story.

Actually, this is only applicable if the PNM stays at the same campus. If she transfers before the end of the year, she is eligible to go through recruitment and be given a bid at her new school.

Still BLUTANG 05-08-2007 03:27 PM

dual membership in music orgs (TBS, KKY, PMA, SAI)
its o.k. (but know your campus climate)

i have also known people do to both musics orgs (example KKY and PMA) then an NPHC fraternity.

again, know your campus climate. :p