GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Recruitment (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   COB Party Ideas (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=45306)

UofMDGCutie 01-17-2004 12:48 PM

COB Party Ideas

Hi everyone! I was wondering if anyone had any new and creative ideas for Continuous Open Bidding Parties!! Your suggestions are appreciated!

ASTLuv21 01-17-2004 10:42 PM

My chapter is doing a B.Y.O.B "Bring Your Own Banana" Ice Cream social. That has to be our most interesting one.

bobokat311 09-07-2008 01:13 AM

bumping this because I could use a few ideas!

bevinpiphi 09-07-2008 11:13 PM

We did a game night, a movie night, and a spaghetti dinner. We have all-house dinners, so we made another one during one of our COB parties, and invited the PNM's.

Do things that are fun, laid-back, and natural for your chapter. If you'd never do a hairbraiding party or something random like that, don't do it. If your girls get together and eat dinner, do that.

adpiucf 09-10-2008 02:53 PM

One year the chapter I was advising organized a week of sisterhood events, which included a picnic and traditional field games like "Capture the Flag." They piggy-backed COB onto it and the PNMs who came said that they not only had a great time, but also that they got a strong sense of the members from those events. In addition, the chapter was able to kill two birds with one stone-- so there wasn't any grumbling about overprogramming.

ASTalumna06 09-10-2008 04:23 PM

There are a few threads on here with some ideas. Try searching under "Continuous Open Bidding"

And here are a few ideas based on what my chapter is doing this semester:

- Green and Gold party - Obviously because those are the sorority colors. The sisters decorated everything in green and gold and had green and gold (or yellow) food and drinks. They had some activities planned, but there were so many PNMs, they all just talked and it worked out well. But try finding some extended icebreaker activites that aren't just the typical "learning names" type of games.

- "How Sweet It Is to be AST" - The girls all decorated and ate cookies. It gave them something to do AND something to eat. And they talked while they decorated. You could also instruct everyone to decorate cookies based on their major, their hobbies, etc., and then have everyone talk about their cookies before eating them.

- Game Night - They had games like Taboo, Catchphrase, and Scene-it... all of which require teams, are EXTREMELY fun, are very interactive, and are really easy to get into without having to force conversations. Another good game for that is Cranium. If you don't know what it is, check it out online! Or just buy it, because it really is that awesome.

- Philanthropy Night - They have this event tomorrow night. The sisters and PNMs are all going to help with a philanthropy. Last year, the girls did this and everyone made cards to send to a local hospital. In addition, the sisters will all talk about why they're in the sorority and what it means to them. This will also serve as a general information night.

Another option for a party that we've done in the past is a fashion show. We had two girls dress in lettered shirts, two in AST jackets, two in AST jerseys (which every sister receives after initiation), two in badge attire, and two in whites. As the girls show off what they're wearing, someone is describing each outfit, when it might be worn, and the significance of looking presentable while wearing letters. Also, the sisters will mention that letters are never to be worn in the presence of alcohol, and little facts like that. The sisters usually act a little goofy and everyone has fun with this event. This can also serve as an informational night, but in a more relaxed setting.

As these last two examples show, doing things in your recruitment events that reflect what you do as a chapter will keep the PNMs informed and give them some insight into what you are truly about. This might also help you to decide who would be the best members for your chapter, based on whether or not they seem involved in the activities that you have planned.

And try inviting PNMs to do "normal" things. There are a ton of things happening on every campus, every day. Go to a concert, comedian or movie on campus. These events are usually very cheap, or free, so there will be no excuses as to the events being too expensive to attend. Or ask PNMs to join you in a pick-up game of basketball, or something like that.

And try using what your chapter already does in order to attract PNMs. My chapter has sister lunch every Tuesday in an eatery on campus. They always invite PNMs to eat with them.

Or let's say you find out that one of the PNMs is in a certain major, or is interested in a particular activity or sport. Ask them to join you in going to a seminar, or to an informational meeting for intramurals. One of my sisters, at the last recruitment event they had, talked to one of the PNMs about signing up for the Outdoors Club, and they both planned on going together.

Just try and do everything you can to become the PNMs friend, inform them of what you're about, and keep them coming back!

sceniczip 09-11-2008 09:54 PM

in the past we had a puzzle night that was so much fun. there were two puzzles but it was the same picture and it was kind of a race to finish it.

my chapter also had one where the PNMs helped make signs for intramurals and then went to the game and helped cheer DG on.

groovypq 09-25-2011 06:01 PM

Bumping for some new ideas?

Also, my chapter did a Glee party last spring. Glee is huge on this campus, so it went over really well!

The dinner idea usually works pretty well too. It's laid-back and something sisters do together anyway. :-)

33girl 09-25-2011 07:47 PM

We had a beatnik party once. That was kind of hilarious.

Don't do goofy things like that, though, unless you have sisters that will get into it.

ElieM 09-26-2011 02:17 AM

the black light paint party from this thread http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/sh...=112090&page=5 sounds pretty awesome