GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Greek Life (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   2018/2019 Colonies/Expansions/Charters/Closures (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=243690)

LaneSig 01-28-2019 02:42 PM

Congratulations to Alpha Tau Omega on chartering at the University of New Hampshire.

LaneSig 01-29-2019 10:09 AM

Congratulations to Phi Delta Theta for their recent chartering at the University of South Carolina.

Cheerio 01-29-2019 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LaneSig (Post 2464316)
Congratulations to Alpha Tau Omega on chartering at the University of New Hampshire.

Quote:

Originally Posted by LaneSig (Post 2464340)
Congratulations to Phi Delta Theta for their recent chartering at the University of South Carolina.

Yes, very good news for both organizations!

LaneSig 01-30-2019 12:46 PM

Congratulations to Alpha Epsilon Pi on chartering at Appalachian State University(NC).

KSUViolet06 01-30-2019 04:18 PM

Update: Our colony at UI-Springfield has 85 women.

LaneSig 02-01-2019 08:56 AM

Alpha Gamma Delta has announced the closure of its chapter at California Polytechnic State University-San Luis Obispo (Cal Poly). Closure is due to low membership numbers.

andthen 02-01-2019 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LaneSig (Post 2464398)
Alpha Gamma Delta has announced the closure of its chapter at California Polytechnic State University-San Luis Obispo (Cal Poly). Closure is due to low membership numbers.

Oh that's a shame, if memory serves me they were relatively new to that campus.

ChioLu 02-01-2019 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LaneSig (Post 2464398)

Sad to hear. AGD just colonized in 2016. That school has had 4 NPC colonizations since 2013.

UVASquirrel 02-01-2019 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChioLu (Post 2464406)
Sad to hear. AGD just colonized in 2016. That school has had 4 NPC colonizations since 2013.

My understanding is that they had added chapters quickly in an effort to lower overall chapter size. That's the impression I got from this article: https://mustangnews.net/cal-poly-cha...ow-enrollment/

Too bad it didn't work out for our chapter there. It's always sad when a chapter closes.

33girl 02-01-2019 01:02 PM

Quote:

“We are disappointed that the national organization is choosing to close the chapter because it is not meeting its expectation around numbers,” Humphrey said. “It is incredibly disappointing to [the university] on a number of levels. First and foremost, because of the experience of the students in that organization and dedicated to that organization.”

Although small enrollment numbers caused the chapter to dissolve, Humphrey said the university hopes to add at least one fraternity or sorority per year to thin out enrollment numbers of large greek organizations.

“Large greek organizations lose their ability to be personal and the quality of the experience is diminished,” Humphrey said.

The AGD executive board was not immediately available to comment.

“If they were hoping to be a greek organization of 300 or 200 plus, Cal Poly probably was not the right place for them,” Humphrey said.
But....campus total is presently 230. Math is hard?

This honestly sounds like he needs to stay in his lane and quit inviting sororities to colonize every other day, unless the women are unhappy in the chapters the size they are and begging for it to happen. He was at Arizona before this, you would think he’d get that NPC and IFC expansion are two different animals.

UVASquirrel 02-01-2019 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 33girl (Post 2464408)
But....campus total is presently 230. Math is hard?

This honestly sounds like he needs to stay in his lane and quit inviting sororities to colonize every other day, unless the women are unhappy in the chapters the size they are and begging for it to happen. He was at Arizona before this, you would think he’d get that NPC and IFC expansion are two different animals.

Yeah..I was wondering what he was talking about once I looked at Campus total.

33girl 02-01-2019 08:05 PM

The only way to keep groups under a certain size is to put on a cap, which would probably dampen a lot of groups’ interest in coming there and defeat the whole purpose.

PKT4LIFE 02-01-2019 09:59 PM

Phi Mu at Belmont has been suspended. This emergency suspension occurred during the middle of recruitment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffqdsmPU7Jw

Theta1234 02-01-2019 11:41 PM

I am going to ask a very ignorant question. I will admit, I am newer to Greek Chat, so I don't have a good frame of reference here.

Has there been a substantial increase in the number of sororities who are being suspended or having their recruitment periods interrupted with C&Ds? Is it just that I am now more aware of them? They seem to be occurring with much higher frequency than what I believed occurred in the past.

A group of friends and I were talking about this. Some link it to increased awareness of rights, some credit it to the fact that everything is recorded now while others say it is because kegs were replaced with hard liquor. Regardless of the reason, it breaks my heart when sweet sisters see their chapter dissolved.

So, am I off base here? Are the closures occurring with greater frequency now than they were say 10 or 20 years ago?

33girl 02-02-2019 05:00 AM

Yes, the increase has been substantial. I think all the things you mentioned are factors, plus the fact that pledgeship is much shorter with much fewer requirements and it is almost impossible to depledge a new member. If the sorority members are (in the eyes of the school or their nationals) not living up to the sorority standard, it stands to reason that the last thing anyone would want is for those members to be in charge of selecting more members.

I also think it has to do with some of the (lately very publicized) instances of women pledging a chapter that unbeknownst to them was in a state of turmoil, then 3/4 of the way into their pledgeship the charter gets revoked. Technically the women can be bid to another chapter immediately but that’s not always feasible. It used to be everyone just said “oh so sad” and life went on, but increasingly parents and lawyers are getting involved.