GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Recruitment (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Weird rush stories (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=11313)

shadowyi 07-19-2007 04:11 PM

Having just gone through spring rush this year, I only have stories from the other side of the fence. But it was in the middle of the day for round robins when I went to ABC. Right away I could tell that I wasn't clicking with the sister I was talking with. No big deal, we can still talk politely, can't we? Well, even that was hard. Stand up, stick your butt out, jutt your chin forward, and bob only your upper body up and down every second. That was how she faced me for an awkward 10 minutes. Guess I bored her. :p

SWTXBelle 07-19-2007 04:20 PM

Or maybe she had a sore back??? Odd . . .

ForeverRoses 07-19-2007 04:35 PM

I remember rushing a girl from Bath, Ohio. She was really sweet, but incredibly shy and I had a really hard time connecting with her. Finally out of ideas, I asked her about her hometown since it had an interesting name. Well, this really perked her up and she immediately asked me if I knew who else was from Bath. Apparently, Jeffrey Dahlmer. Then she starts to tell me about how her grandparents lived close enough to the house where Jeffrey Dahlmer grew up that during the investigation they actually had cops in their backyard. It made for interesting, if not a little creepy, conversation. And the look on the face of the rusher who came to bump me was priceless.

She did return to our house for the next round, but the only way I could remember her was as Jeffrey's neighbor.

MaggieXi 07-26-2007 02:22 PM

I just read some of these stories and now i simply can't wait for recruitment!

LegallyBrunette 07-26-2007 03:01 PM

I love this thread. My tale can't compete with some of the really crazy ones on here, but hopefully if this thread stays at the top some more people will be inspired to share.

My senior year I was chatting with a PNM named Laura. She seemed nice enough at first, if a little awkward. My friend Lauren came over to bump me and the PNM jumped to introduce herself, she said "You're name's Lauren? Mine's Laura and my last initial is N., so sometimes people call me Lauren, too! What a coincidence!" It was a little weird since Lauren is such a common name but I figured she was probably just nervous. However before I could even turn to leave, the next thing out of her mouth was, "So, I heard XYZ wears white for Initiation--what do you all wear for Initiation?"

Thinking about it, if it's not on there already, that should probably be added to the "what not to do/say during rush" thread.

LionTamer 07-26-2007 03:05 PM

SKBama -- Boy, if I had a problem with every sorority where someone's boyfriend cheated on her with me (or, more realistically, where the girl THOUGHT the guy cheated on her with me), I would have been cut almost everywhere, since I rushed sophomore year.

Oh wait, that IS what happened.....

Never mind.

Fleur de Lis 08-02-2007 12:22 PM

I admit I've been reading this thread for a few days and have been laughing my head off! Here are a few of my crazy recruitment stories:

So it's my first time on the "other side" of recruitment and I'm talking to a girl from South America (I'm leaving out the country on purpose). We're having this great conversation about South American politics and economies, and I think I'm really impressing this girl with our conversation, since it's not your typical "what's your major" conversation. Turns out, her uncle is the freakin' dictator!!! Like, internationally known dictator! Fortunately, she just wanted one sorority and ended up there. But I kept wondering if I said anything offensive???

This same year, one of our seniors was really going off the deep end and alienating a lot of sisters. So during a party, she tells one of our PNMs that KKG stands for Keys to the Kingdom of God!!! Our school is really diverse and heavily Jewish or non-religious, so you can imagine how well that was received. By the next morning, the whole PNM class knows - I mean, it did come from an initiated sister! Fortunately, we ended up with an amazing pledge class that didn't buy the crazy rumor.

Last one - the sororities were having recruitment in the fraternity houses one year. So of course we're there in the morning making hot cider and hanging out in the kitchen looking our best before the first round. Then this rumpled girl emerges from some guy's bedroom and proceeds to use the kitchen stove to make an omelet! She was totally unfazed by all of us being there and trying to make the cider around her. I still chuckle to myself that she obviously didn't belong among the classy Kappas.

mckimjm 08-13-2007 12:25 PM

I love this post...
I remember last semester we had a get together at one of the houses and a sorority member spilled a drink on the floor, me and two other brothers went to get towels and napkins and when we turned around a rush was lying on their back cleaning it up with the shirt they were wearing.....it was honestly so funny to see this kid degrad himseld without knowing what fraternities ARE REALLY about...but we gave him a bid anyway and i took him as a little....his actually one of our better and more active brothers.

Soliloquy 08-15-2007 02:00 PM

My friend just told me this story yesterday and I'm not really sure if it goes in this thread or the other "crazy pnms" thread.

Anyway, my friend was rushing this girl, lets call her Jane, who had it all. She had a great GPA, lots of activities, solid recs, and was pretty. My friend was excited about meeting her, and when she began rushing her, the girl just kind of shifted her weight from foot-to-foot, while drinking her water, not really paying attention to my friend. Jane says something like "You know, you're really boring. Do you know who I am? Ugh! Why didn't XYZ at least try to interest me with a better rusher" Needless to say my friend is rather flabbergasted and said "Well, I'm sorry I'm boring to you. We'll be bumping in just a sec, so you won't have to deal with me much longer" Sure enough, they bumped and Jane somewhat engaged her new rusher. Well apparently, this rusher didn't "know" who she was either. Jane got pretty agitated and "accidentially" spilled her water with a smirk. As the rusher walked away, my friend heard Jane say to another pnm "ugh, thank God that bitch is gone for a few minutes" :eek:

Well turns out, Jane's daddy owns a bunch of companies in our area ($$$$$) and also does a lot of community work (visable family). She was just pissed that no one was bending over backwards to impress her because of her family's name. Needless to say my friend's group dropped her that day. Jane ended up getting a bid, but was then kicked out before initiation due to some major drama.

Probably one of her new sisters didn't know who she was or something.. :rolleyes:

AOII Angel 08-16-2007 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soliloquy (Post 1502759)
My friend just told me this story yesterday and I'm not really sure if it goes in this thread or the other "crazy pnms" thread.

Anyway, my friend was rushing this girl, lets call her Jane, who had it all. She had a great GPA, lots of activities, solid recs, and was pretty. My friend was excited about meeting her, and when she began rushing her, the girl just kind of shifted her weight from foot-to-foot, while drinking her water, not really paying attention to my friend. Jane says something like "You know, you're really boring. Do you know who I am? Ugh! Why didn't XYZ at least try to interest me with a better rusher" Needless to say my friend is rather flabbergasted and said "Well, I'm sorry I'm boring to you. We'll be bumping in just a sec, so you won't have to deal with me much longer" Sure enough, they bumped and Jane somewhat engaged her new rusher. Well apparently, this rusher didn't "know" who she was either. Jane got pretty agitated and "accidentially" spilled her water with a smirk. As the rusher walked away, my friend heard Jane say to another pnm "ugh, thank God that bitch is gone for a few minutes" :eek:

Well turns out, Jane's daddy owns a bunch of companies in our area ($$$$$) and also does a lot of community work (visable family). She was just pissed that no one was bending over backwards to impress her because of her family's name. Needless to say my friend's group dropped her that day. Jane ended up getting a bid, but was then kicked out before initiation due to some major drama.

Probably one of her new sisters didn't know who she was or something.. :rolleyes:

Sounds like she didn't want sisters, she wanted an entourage!

luv n tpa 08-22-2007 09:06 PM

I just spent a few days reading and laughing at this thread.

So my story is not as weird and crazy as much as awkward.

I rushed fall 06, and there was a heavy set girl who looked rather homely in my pref group (I'll call her Jen). She was a very sweet girl, but none of the 4 sororities on campus bid her. Later I learned from my sister that while Jen was a nice person, she reminded everyone of a mom rather than a peer; the way she spoke, carried herself, etc.

Fast forward to spring. I was dorm-storming with girls from the other 3 orgs knocking on doors to distribute flyers about recruitment. Everything's going fine and dandy until we knock on one door, and Jen is standing there. The four of us on the other side pause for moment, hand her the flyer, say our greeting and leave. She was polite, but noticeably uncomfortable. The moment the door shut, we all looked at each other.

The girl from XYZ said to me, "Did you guys give her a bid?"
Me: "No. Did you, ABC?"
ABC: "No ... DEF?"
DEF: "Nope."
XYZ: "We called her 'the mom'."
Me, ABC, DEF: "US TOO!"

Jen didn't come back out that semester.

DeltaBetaBaby 08-22-2007 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luv n tpa (Post 1506441)
I just spent a few days reading and laughing at this thread.

I rushed fall 06, and there was a heavy set girl who looked rather homely in my pref group (I'll call her Jen). She was a very sweet girl, but none of the 4 sororities on campus bid her. Later I learned from my sister that while Jen was a nice person, she reminded everyone of a mom rather than a peer; the way she spoke, carried herself, etc.

Fast forward to spring. I was dorm-storming with girls from the other 3 orgs knocking on doors to distribute flyers about recruitment. Everything's going fine and dandy until we knock on one door, and Jen is standing there. The four of us on the other side pause for moment, hand her the flyer, say our greeting and leave. She was polite, but noticeably uncomfortable. The moment the door shut, we all looked at each other.

The girl from XYZ said to me, "Did you guys give her a bid?"
Me: "No. Did you, ABC?"
ABC: "No ... DEF?"
DEF: "Nope."
XYZ: "We called her 'the mom'."
Me, ABC, DEF: "US TOO!"

Jen didn't come back out that semester.

I don't think this story is funny at all.

luv n tpa 08-23-2007 07:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeltaBetaBaby (Post 1506490)
I don't think this story is funny at all.

Originally Posted by luv n tpa http://greekchat.com/gcforums/images...s/viewpost.gif

I did preface that it wasn't necessarily going to be hysterical. Perhaps it came off mean, but the situation was more awkward than anything else. Personally, I felt uncomfortable and rather out of place to inform a girl about recruitment with a big smile and excited tone when it ended up not working out for her. With all of the stories of orgs giving girls nicknames based on crazy antics, it reminded me of how all of us came up with the same one, though not necessarily based on weird behavior.

My apologies to anyone who saw an update and was excited to laugh a little. I'll go hide in the corner now ...

couggirl 08-23-2007 03:26 PM

I enjoy the weird stories, but this last one kinda of makes me sad a little.

However, and unrelated to the thread, I had a friend in high school who was a year older than me and people thought she was my mom because of how she acted and spoke. I never thought it was weird and never saw it.

33girl 08-23-2007 03:31 PM

There was a girl who went through rush who we all thought was a returning student - she looked at least 45. We found out later she was actually regular college age. It was like the opposite of that Law & Order episode where the girl looks 9 but she's 17.