GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Sorority Recruitment (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=217)
-   -   Not showing up PNM list?? (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=234881)

DubaiSis 09-15-2017 03:07 PM

So in a system where at a LOT of schools 2-3 recommendations are required for every single sorority for a viable chance, you're telling me a single recommendation will guarantee a rushee a return invitation? Sure, membership selection is private. And every single girl at Bama and Texas get invited back to every house after the first round. Because that's what you just said. Because anything less than 100% would mean Theta and/or any other NPC sorority would have that policy.

Back in the old days a recommendation got a girl invited back to round 2. There is no scenario where this can continue to be true. Yes, it helps. But the OP said she had a recommendation and therefore had to have been invited back. And you just agreed to that.

FSUZeta 09-15-2017 03:11 PM

[QUOTE=AZTheta;2441795]Maybe that applies to your sorority, but not to all. Ditto for your statement about the final bid list.[/QUOTE

THIS! DubaiSis, Perhaps she was referring to legacies?

Sorry AZTheta. My supermod powers caused me to hit edit instead of quote and my pithy reply to the OP got posted to your statement. I deleted what I had posted on your post. This is basically what I said:

At the very least, the sorority should've been able to cross reference their party list with the list Panhellenic gave them before the parties commenced. At that time, they would've noticed that the OP's name was missing from the Panhellenic list. That is to say, if she was on the sorority's invitation list. They then could've notified Panhellenic of the problem and the mistake would've been corrected, and the PNM would've attended the party.

BraveMaroon 09-15-2017 03:41 PM

I'm calling BS. If it was a computer snafu that didn't show you on the PNM list, you would have been cut completely from all houses; even the ones that you were less than excited about returning to. So... yeah. I don't buy it.

AZTheta 09-15-2017 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DubaiSis (Post 2441797)
So in a system where at a LOT of schools 2-3 recommendations are required for every single sorority for a viable chance, you're telling me a single recommendation will guarantee a rushee a return invitation? Sure, membership selection is private. And every single girl at Bama and Texas get invited back to every house after the first round. Because that's what you just said. Because anything less than 100% would mean Theta and/or any other NPC sorority would have that policy.

Back in the old days a recommendation got a girl invited back to round 2. There is no scenario where this can continue to be true. Yes, it helps. But the OP said she had a recommendation and therefore had to have been invited back. And you just agreed to that.

What? Where are you getting THAT from what I responded to and wrote? I said no such thing. Goodness, that's some kind of huge assumption and leap you just made. So, I am thinking your remarks aren't directed to me. Because you wouldn't misunderstand in that fashion nor would you put those words in my (or anyone else's) mouth. You're too smart for that. Right? Sheesh.

Without going into MS details, obviously: For some NPC sororities, legacies receive an automatic invite to the second round with the caveat that if their GPA doesn't meet the minimum for the chapter, they will be released after Open House.

ETA: Mercury has left retrograde so that can't explain the misunderstanding.

2nd ETA: every sorority has its own policy re: placement of legacies on bid list(s). No universals there either.

clemsongirl 09-15-2017 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sciencewoman (Post 2441784)
Didn't the chapter have to sign a bid card? I thought it was standard practice for a chapter officer(s) to sign the bid cards (e.g. chapter president, advisor, membership VP) before they are distributed.

Yes, they did sign a bid card for her, she got it, her recruitment counselor thought it was odd that she got a bid she didn't pref for but didn't tell us until later when we were trying to figure out why a historically strong group had missed quota by just one. PM me for details if you'd like them before we veer entirely off topic:)

Titchou 09-15-2017 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 33girl (Post 2441796)
Wait, what?

Is she saying an active sister wrote a rec for her, for her own chapter? I thought that didn't fly - that active sisters (in some groups) could write a rec for, say, a woman rushing DD chapter if they are a member of EE chapter, but not a rec for EE chapter. If that was the case sisters would be writing recs all through rush.

WTH????? Where in God's name did you get this? In my group,actives can write a sponsor for ANY PNM going to ANY school where we have a chapter. We just want them BEFORE recruitment starts. I have no idea what YOUR group does so I would not speak for it. Perhaps you should return the favor?

DubaiSis 09-15-2017 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AZTheta (Post 2441795)
Maybe that applies to your sorority, but not to all. Ditto for your statement about the final bid list.

So if what I said doesn't apply to all then it means that there IS a sorority out there that always invites every rushee back at least once simply because she has a recommendation. We are not talking about the bid list (although I've talked to enough sorority women that the "if a legacy makes it to preference she has to be on the 1st bid list" rule is close enough to universal), we're talking about invitations to the 2nd round of rush. And let's not even go with IS. We could say COULD. So you're saying that there COULD BE a sorority that has to invite every recommended rushee back to the second round. That is exactly completely and unequivocally opposed to RFM which requires chapters to make cuts. So which is it, RFM or a theoretical sorority has to invite back every girl with a recommendation? I'm going to assume that the only thing you were arguing was the final bid list because you don't want to let out the world's worst kept secret. But that was not what was being discussed.

33girl 09-16-2017 02:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Titchou (Post 2441821)
WTH????? Where in God's name did you get this? In my group,actives can write a sponsor for ANY PNM going to ANY school where we have a chapter. We just want them BEFORE recruitment starts. I have no idea what YOUR group does so I would not speak for it. Perhaps you should return the favor?

Settle down Beavis...I am not "speaking for anyone's group" just trying to clarify what OP was saying. Quote from her post:

Quote:

Then I heard from a friend in a house...who'd written me a rec herself who was upset that I wasn't invited back.
In everything I've read on GC over the years about recs, usually people have said that while collegiate members can write them in some groups, they cannot write them for women going through rush at the chapter where they are an active member. If I completely misinterpreted that, I hope others will chime in and let me know. I honestly have no idea why this offended you so much when I was asking a simple question and didn't name any NPC groups.

SoCalGirl 09-16-2017 08:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 33girl (Post 2441845)
In everything I've read on GC over the years about recs, usually people have said that while collegiate members can write them in some groups, they cannot write them for women going through rush at the chapter where they are an active member

This has been my understanding too.

Stacey in AAA at State U can write a rec for her friend Becky going to University of State but not for Susie going through rush at State U.

Titchou 09-16-2017 09:33 AM

Nope. Nope. Nope. As I said, in my group ANY active can write a sponsor form (our term for a rec) for any PNM. However, collegiate members need to do it BEFORE recruitment starts(so we know the PNM isn't a rush crush and is someone she already knew). Collegiate members are full members of our GLO. 33girl, your initial statement said "since when does this fly?" Now you say that you've heard that "usually" people say you can't do that? So, you know a member of all the 25 other NPC groups and have verified this?

And while I'm on the subject of recs and to put this one to rest - any group that "requires" a rec for a new member to be pledged has a method in place to get same should she not have one otherwise. Please know that no group would require one without a method to do so. And no, I'm not telling how we do it nor asking how other groups do it. That's private MS information.

TriDeltaSallie 09-16-2017 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Titchou (Post 2441869)

And while I'm on the subject of recs and to put this one to rest - any group that "requires" a rec for a new member to be pledged has a method in place to get same should she not have one otherwise. Please know that no group would require one without a method to do so. And no, I'm not telling how we do it nor asking how other groups do it. That's private MS information.

I was on a campus where quota was regularly 40-50 (?) at the time. We generally got about three or four recs mailed in.

I'll let people do the math and figure that out.

33girl 09-16-2017 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Titchou (Post 2441869)
Nope. Nope. Nope. As I said, in my group ANY active can write a sponsor form (our term for a rec) for any PNM. However, collegiate members need to do it BEFORE recruitment starts(so we know the PNM isn't a rush crush and is someone she already knew). Collegiate members are full members of our GLO.

That's all you needed to say without getting nasty and snarky. Apparently one of my fellow moderators was under the same impression as I was. It's not a criticism of your policy, just honest surprise due to what I've read on here for many many years, so try dialing the butthurt back a few hundred notches. FWIW, it certainly makes more sense as far as recs are concerned to get one from a collegian who knows a PNM well than for the PNM to get one from her boyfriend's cousin's third grade teacher who wouldn't know her if she tripped over her.

I don't know AZTheta, I think the calendar is wrong and Mercury is still in retrograde.

Titchou 09-16-2017 10:20 AM

My last word on this...."Wait! WHAT?????" wasn't nasty and snarky? Well, as we Cajuns say - just like you see yourself, there you are.

33girl 09-16-2017 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 33girl (Post 2441796)
Wait, what?

No. It wasn't. :confused: :confused:

AZTheta 09-16-2017 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DubaiSis (Post 2441829)
So if what I said doesn't apply to all then it means that there IS a sorority out there that always invites every rushee back at least once simply because she has a recommendation. We are not talking about the bid list (although I've talked to enough sorority women that the "if a legacy makes it to preference she has to be on the 1st bid list" rule is close enough to universal), we're talking about invitations to the 2nd round of rush. And let's not even go with IS. We could say COULD. So you're saying that there COULD BE a sorority that has to invite every recommended rushee back to the second round. That is exactly completely and unequivocally opposed to RFM which requires chapters to make cuts. So which is it, RFM or a theoretical sorority has to invite back every girl with a recommendation? I'm going to assume that the only thing you were arguing was the final bid list because you don't want to let out the world's worst kept secret. But that was not what was being discussed.

Apparently you are targeting me. Therefore:

No, I am not saying that at all. However it's apparent that you have some kind of bee in your bonnet and don't want to participate in any sort of reasonable discussion. Your logic and reasoning is faulty. As are your assumptions.

Done here.

*shrug*