GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Careers & Employment (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=192)
-   -   Daily Commute/Deal Breakers (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=135833)

honeychile 09-02-2013 04:58 PM

Daily Commute/Deal Breakers

As I'm looking for a new job, I have so many questions.

How much time do various people spend commuting?
How far is the commute?
What are deal makers or deal breakers for you?
How hard is it to go from running your own business to working for someone?

Help!

Splash 09-02-2013 05:39 PM

I have to leave my house 25 minutes before I have to be sitting at my desk ready. I drive.

amIblue? 09-02-2013 06:05 PM

Too darn much.

It takes anywhere from 45 mins to an hour and a half.

thetalady 09-02-2013 06:09 PM

I can't even imagine going back to work in an office after being self employed. I love having all of the responsibility & authority to make my own decisions.

chitownxo 09-02-2013 06:23 PM

I take the Metra. It's about a 40 minute or so trip during rush hour; just under an hour if I miss the express time. We're currently house-hunting. One of the areas I really like would add about 30 minutes to my commute, and that may be my deal-breaker.

I could drive, but parking in downtown Chicago is expensive. Also, I like the commute...I usually sit in a quiet car, read a book and relax.

AGDee 09-02-2013 06:43 PM

I drive about 25 miles to work each day. My full commute, door to door, including parking and taking a shuttle to my building from the parking lot, and getting to my desk takes me about 45 minutes, with no significant weather or traffic issues.

I think the question about going from being your own boss to having a boss is really dependent on the management style and environment. I've had bosses who were really flexible and bosses who were inflexible. It's good to know things like- are there times when it is ok to work from home? Are there flex hours and how are those defined? I've worked places where flex hours mean you have to be there for the "core" hours of business (usually 9-3) but outside of that, as long as you get your 8 hours in, it doesn't matter when you come in or leave on any given day. I've worked where "flex hours" meant you get to choose your start and leave times, but you need to stick to them once they are set. I'd look for a looser, more casual environment over a strict corporate culture.

IUHoosiergirl88 09-02-2013 07:02 PM

My last job was a 40 minute commute each way, give or take 15-20 mins with traffic. When I switched jobs but hadn't moved over to Virginia yet...it was 40 minutes there, 1-2.5 hours on the way back. Now I commute just over 20 minutes each way and I love it.

Deal breaker for me is how I'm treated by my clients since I'm a contractor. My last client treated us like the ant stuck to the gum on the bottom of the shoe, my current client treats me like one of their own

AOIIalum 09-02-2013 09:12 PM

I am very lucky right now that my commute is about 8 miles each way, maybe 12 minutes if I catch both traffic lights. Deal breaker there is that it's not permanent or full-time with benefits although after three years in the position it's as secure as anything might be today.

Am considering a position that would be about 36 miles each way. Depending on traffic that could be 45-60 minutes each way, which in and of itself is a potential deal breaker. Benefits are a big draw, but parking (location, expense, safety) is another potential deal breaker. I can't put that kind of mileage or wear and tear on my 13 year old vehicle and lose a huge chunk of my paycheck on parking. But that's possible negotiation to come, but an expense to take into consideration.

As for running your own business to working for someone it was no problem. I had a home-based business for a couple of years. Although I loved the product and company I am not native to the area where we live and I just couldn't break through as an "outsider". After that experience I have no problem working for someone else.

honeychile 09-08-2013 10:43 PM

Well, tomorrow will tell all. I'm to be at the potential new office at 8am - and it has taken me 45 minutes to drive there, pedal to the metal, during non-rush hours. I will work a half day, basically shadowing the current DOO, as I'll be next in command. If I am comfortable, I am hired.

Good news/bad news: basically what I've done most of my adult life, only not having to worry about what worries owners (taxes, etc). Substantial raise, all benefits except medical (which I already get through DH). Will have to develop a "grown up" wardrobe, for the more clients I will visit.

The commute seems to be the biggie, so I'm going to keep track very carefully for the next few months!

Thank you all for your input. It really helped me see what is important to me!

Leslie Anne 09-08-2013 11:34 PM

Best of luck to you tomorrow, honey! I hope it goes well.

Cheerio 09-09-2013 09:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leslie Anne (Post 2237803)
Best of luck to you tomorrow, honey! I hope it goes well.

Seconded!

IndianaSigKap 09-09-2013 09:53 PM

Hope your first day was good and that the commute was at least tolerable. :-)

flirt5721 09-09-2013 09:58 PM

Before I moved to my current home I was commuting 40 miles one way. I did that for a year to please my husband (never again will I live that far from work). It would take me 1 hr to get to work and 1.5 to 2 hrs to get home. Now my commute is one 20 miles one way.

Good luck tomorrow. I would be one the phone talking to my sisters or mom to keep me entertained.

moe.ron 09-10-2013 05:58 AM

My old house: 17 miles and it takes me 2.5 hours

My new apartment: 5 miles and it takes me 45 minutes

Yes, Jakarta's traffic is legendary

Good luck honeychile!!!!

honeychile 10-11-2013 06:25 PM

It will be one month on Monday. Please note my new signature! I will be giving it at least until January 1st, or until the Money Fairy decides to fly my way! Thanks, y'all!