GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Sorority Recruitment (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=217)
-   -   I have a 2.45 GPA. The requirement is 2.5. Will they let me in? (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=120143)

blondebabe8 06-07-2011 06:28 PM

I have a 2.45 GPA. The requirement is 2.5. Will they let me in?

im so close! i had a bad semester with personal fam problems and it came down :( i usually have good grades though and i will get it up easily. its just that the requirement is 2.5. can they make any exceptions??? i mean im .05 away! and next semester is my last chance to join :( :( :( and the girls from my fave sorority really want to give me a bid!

AnchorAlumna 06-07-2011 06:42 PM

Nobody here would know whether or not they could bend the rules. Sorry!
If they know you, and want you, they'll probably find a way. But you might want to take that summer course to pull you up.
Of course, if you're already a junior, one course won't do it. And if your overall is a 2.45, you have bigger problems than trying to pledge a sorority.

summer_gphib 06-07-2011 07:00 PM

Probably not. Sorry,the rules are the rules. If your GPA is that low and you aren't involved in Greek Life, what's all the demands and obligations that come along with being Greek going to do to it? There is a lot more to being in a sorority than just going to parties, it can be a huge time commitment.

blondebabe8 06-07-2011 07:26 PM

id no doubt be able to handle it though! if i wwent to the director of greek life and talked to her do yyou think she could bend it a little .05 awayyyyyy come on

knight_shadow 06-07-2011 07:32 PM

Do you think that we will be able to change the rules? Why are you begginggggggggg?

Alumiyum 06-07-2011 07:33 PM

Sororities themselves have minimum GPA requirements. If the 2.5 is a minimum for recruitment that likely means that that is the lowest minimum GPA that any of the sororities on campus will accept. On some campuses chapters will take "grade risks", but that is the exception to the rule. No one here can tell you whether or not the director of greek life can "bend it"...you'd have to ask her.

Word to the wise, though, just because some of your friends in a sorority like you and would like for you to be a sister does not mean that the chapter as a whole wants to extend you a bid. Going through recruitment with a "I know they want me" attitude is not the best idea, if you can go through recruitment in the first place. Even if the girls in the chapter really like you as a person, you're still competing against girls that they might also like a lot and that probably have above a 2.5 GPA. Also, as others have said, being in a sorority does not mean you go to social events and a required meeting once a week. There will be many other requirements, both of your time and money. With your GPA so low you need to understand exactly what you're getting into.

sigmaceli 06-07-2011 07:34 PM

It's probably not going to happen, but you're more than welcome to talk to your Fraternity/Sorority Life office. It's not like they'll round up your GPA to meet the requirement based on how many letters you add to a word in a GC post.

33girl 06-07-2011 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blondebabe8 (Post 2061303)
im so close! i had a bad semester with personal fam problems and it came down :( i usually have good grades though and i will get it up easily. its just that the requirement is 2.5. can they make any exceptions??? i mean im .05 away! and next semester is my last chance to join :( :( :( and the girls from my fave sorority really want to give me a bid!

Why is next semester your last chance to join? Are you graduating in December 2011?

Barbie's_Rush 06-07-2011 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blondebabe8 (Post 2061303)

Quote:

Originally Posted by blondebabe8 (Post 2061315)
id no doubt be able to handle it though! if i wwent to the director of greek life and talked to her do yyou think she could bend it a little .05 awayyyyyy come on

1. The 2.5 would be a minimum GPA. Having a 2.5 doesn't guarantee anything. (Are there really NPC sororities that have national minimum GPAs quite that low?)

2. "Usually good grades" do not get so dramatically affected by one poor semester. If next semester is your "last chance to join," you've been around long enough to earn that crummy cumulative GPA.

3. You'd be better served by spending time in a remedial English courses rather than a sorority.

4. If you know the girls in your "fave sorority" well enough for them to tell you they want to give you a bid, certainly you could ask them if they could make an exception for your GPA rather than asking a bunch of strangers on the intarwebz.

ASTalumna06 06-07-2011 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barbie's_Rush (Post 2061325)
1. The 2.5 would be a minimum GPA. Having a 2.5 doesn't guarantee anything. (Are there really NPC sororities that have national minimum GPAs quite that low?)

Yes. I can't speak for any others, but Alpha Sigma Tau's is 2.5. Actually, up until a few years ago, it was 2.3. As far asi know, AST was the first NPC to require a minimum GPA, so a raise in the minimum was definitely needed. I've heard there has been discussion about raising it further. Not sure the last time (before 2008) that it was increased.

blondebabe8 06-07-2011 08:12 PM

you all are so mean! wow haha never using this site again sheesh. harsh people.

blondebabe8 06-07-2011 08:13 PM

and i meant its my last chance bc itll be fall of soph year. i dont want to pledge with the freshman...i want to pledge with girls my age.

knight_shadow 06-07-2011 08:13 PM

LOL

Nothing about this was mean.

Barbie's_Rush 06-07-2011 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ASTalumna06 (Post 2061331)
Yes. I can't speak for any others, but Alpha Sigma Tau's is 2.5. Actually, up until a few years ago, it was 2.3. As far asi know, AST was the first NPC to require a minimum GPA, so a raise in the minimum was definitely needed. I've heard there has been discussion about raising it further. Not sure the last time (before 2008) that it was increased.

Is that a minimum for new members, for initiation or for maintaining membership? It just seems awfully low for a recruitment minimum GPA.

Barbie's_Rush 06-07-2011 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blondebabe8 (Post 2061333)
you all are so mean! wow haha never using this site again sheesh. harsh people.

Quote:

Originally Posted by blondebabe8 (Post 2061334)
and i meant its my last chance bc itll be fall of soph year. i dont want to pledge with the freshman...i want to pledge with girls my age.

Good luck with that.:D