GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Greek Life (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   question about greek letters and work (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=54335)

1heart1way 07-25-2004 12:01 AM

question about greek letters and work

So I was just wondering something...

I'm wondering how appropriate/inappropriate wearing greek letters to work is or isn't. Nothing like a t-shirt with huge letters, but for example a necklace. I'm proud to be greek, but is it ok to show it in the workplace (I am an intern).

I'm thinking it might be inappropriate to do...any thoughts??

:D

Taualumna 07-25-2004 12:08 AM

All NPC members are encouraged to wear our badges on badge day, so I would think that it is ok.

fire1977 07-25-2004 12:38 AM

It is perfectly OKAY to wear that to work. Sometimes I wear my lavalier, I also have a ring that my chapter gave me that I wear all the time. In addition to that one of my bags has our logo on it.

you should be PROUD to wear that stuff! go for it!!:D

MsCongeniality3 07-25-2004 12:58 AM

Most of the time, I wear my service pin. I hadn't got any nice jewelry like a ring or lavalier. However, my thought with rings is that a greek ring would be like a class ring and those look nice all the time.

Jill1228 07-25-2004 03:53 AM

I wear my lavalier and a lanyard that has my timecard on it. I need the time card not only to punch the time clock, but to enter and exit the building

My lanyard looks like this:
http://store3.yimg.com/I/inarush_1802_26586224

The lanyard was the first thing I bought when I got the bid :D

ETA: Wearing my card around my neck saves a lot of time rummaging thru pockets and stuff to get my time card, especially when you are ready to GTFO at quitting time!

GTFO=Get the F Out!

winneythepooh7 07-25-2004 08:11 AM

I've worn jewelry and my sisterhood pin to work before. On Founder's Day I wore my wooden letter pin since I wasn't dressed up enough to wear the sisterhood pin. (I dress really casual for work).

1heart1way 07-25-2004 11:02 AM

Thanks...I don't know why I felt weird about the subject. haha...I'm going to wear my lavalier tomorrow! :p

_Lisa_ 07-25-2004 11:22 AM

My whole office is decorated w/ Sigma Kappa paraphernalia! Sigma Kappa cups, pictures, key chains, stickers, notepads, frames, etc!

The dress in my department is business casual & I wouldn't wear my jewelry unless I dress up a little bit more!

tcsparky 07-25-2004 01:16 PM

I wear either a lavalier, a charm on a bracelet, or my Quill every day with my suits and dressy clothes to work. On some days, when jeans or other extremely casual clothing is allowed (say for cleaning the office or a workshop) I will wear a polo shirt with letters or Alpha Xi Delta embroidered on the upper left pocket area.

In addition, my tote has letters on it, as well as my lunch box, which I got at Convention.

Figure out what way is appropriate for your work environment, and WEAR THEM.

:D

Shima-Mizu 07-25-2004 01:19 PM

I always wear my lavalier, and since my work place is on an campus job that allows it, I wear my t-shirt / sweatshirt letters sometimes too. Not all of the on campus jobs let the girls and guys wear their letters though, but usually those jobs will let them wear a lavalier or pin, it all depends on the boss.

Tom Earp 07-25-2004 01:20 PM

Be Proud and subtle if necessary!

But always Remember what you learned from Your Greek Affiliation!:cool:

This along with Your Family made You What You Are Today!:)

honeychile 07-25-2004 01:27 PM

By all means, a lavalier or pin is certainly acceptable, but you may feel uncomfortable with the pin - that's why so many people have their pin set into a ring.

I use ADPi memo pads, pens, and similar stuff, and when I interview (once a week), a lot of people have commented positively on them!

Measi 07-25-2004 05:27 PM

If it's tasteful, there's nothing wrong with wearing it to work. It really depends on your work climate, ultimately. I often wear my cofa button (since I don't have the official pearled badge for my organization) on a lapel when I wear a suit, and I have a small signet ring made from my original cofa button (which has our organization's crest on it) that I rarely take off.

~ Mel.

sairose 07-25-2004 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Measi
If it's tasteful, there's nothing wrong with wearing it to work. It really depends on your work climate, ultimately. I often wear my cofa button (since I don't have the official pearled badge for my organization) on a lapel when I wear a suit, and I have a small signet ring made from my original cofa button (which has our organization's crest on it) that I rarely take off.

~ Mel.

Mel I'm fixing to PM you with a question!

Back to the subject. It depends on your workplace. My summer job is being a Wal-Mart cashier and we're allowed to wear basically anything but jeans. So I wear lettered t-shirts all the time! And we have the option of clipping our nametags onto our blue vests OR wearing it on a lanyard. So, I wear mine on the SAI lanyard I got at convention last summer. :D

Measi 07-25-2004 06:09 PM

PM answered. :)

I've yet to attend a convention for TBS-- my undergrad years were spent in chapter survival mode, and since no one in my chapter had a car (not really a desired thing in Boston with $300 + per month parking fees), we couldn't do any road-trips.

I'll be going to my first set of them this year-- both our district and precinct conventions are in New England, and I'm being the alumni road-trip chair. I'm planning on dropping a lot of money on the "swag" I never had as an undergrad. *grin*

~ Mel.