GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Recruitment (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   After being initiated, transfering and joining another soro (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=81466)

1987girl 10-12-2006 10:37 AM

After being initiated, transfering and joining another soro

Is it possible for a girl who joined and was initiated in a sorority transfer schools and join another one? Even if this girl disaffiliated? How would the girls know? Does NPC have a full list of names? Could this actually work?

I know this girl who just transferred in as a sophomore to a very small school. She is having trouble meeting people and her sorority she had joined at her old school is not there. She had received on invitation to COB (continuous open bidding). Does she have a chance to join this other sorority?

33girl 10-12-2006 10:38 AM

No.

AlphaFrog 10-12-2006 10:42 AM

Not unless she pledged a local or the group who COBed her was a local.

1987girl 10-12-2006 10:45 AM

how would they find out or know that she was initiaited in another sorority?

Drolefille 10-12-2006 10:53 AM

There is no master directory, however because of the nature of Greek Life, she would eventually be caught and lose her membership from both sororities (i think) Most of the time, the girl can't keep her mouth shut. The rest of the time, someone always knows someone from other campuses. (And facebook's a bitch)

tunatartare 10-12-2006 10:54 AM

Yes facebook, myspace, and "Jewish" geography. Even if you aren't Jewish.

Drolefille 10-12-2006 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KLPDaisy (Post 1337747)
Yes facebook, myspace, and "Jewish" geography. Even if you aren't Jewish.

Do explain. I haven't heard that term

AChiOhSnap 10-12-2006 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1987girl (Post 1337738)

Sometimes girls can "slip through the cracks" (reference my post from a few weeks ago in the "weird rush stories" thread for an example) and will try to rush at a new school after initiating into one sorority.

However, most (if not all) schools will transfer a woman's Greek history to her new school as part of her general transcript. This information is then passed along to that school's Greek Life office and she will not be allowed to sign up for recruitment or COB...or if she tried, she'd be quickly released from the process once they looked through her file. In order to join a sorority, you have to give information like your SSN, and you can quickly and easily be matched to another NPC group.

And let's hypothetically say that a woman was able to go through recruitment and join a sorority as a new member. The second she was "found out" (which would happen eventually) she would be unceremoniously booted and people would probably be pretty angry at her. It would probably be a humiliating experience for the PNM, but really, anyone who has been initiated into one NPC group should know better.

tunatartare 10-12-2006 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drolefille (Post 1337749)
Do explain. I haven't heard that term

Everyone knows someone through someone. Kind of like 6 degrees of separation for the Chosen People. "Oh hi Brooke Levenson, I'm Samantha Katz, we met at Claire Hoffman's Bat Mitzvah. Oh I remember Claire, she went to Hebrew school at Park Avenue Synagogue with my cousin Laura. I went there! I know Laura. She dated my neighbor Isaac, etc."

33girl 10-12-2006 11:06 AM

How small is the very small school? Has she attempted to get involved in anything else of an extracurricular nature?

Drolefille 10-12-2006 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KLPDaisy (Post 1337752)
Everyone knows someone through someone. Kind of like 6 degrees of separation for the Chosen People. "Oh hi Brooke Levenson, I'm Samantha Katz, we met at Claire Hoffman's Bat Mitzvah. Oh I remember Claire, she went to Hebrew school at Park Avenue Synagogue with my cousin Laura. I went there! I know Laura. She dated my neighbor Isaac, etc."

Tee hee.

My mom is only 2 Degrees removed from anyone. But us Italians are almost as close knit ;) We even get the mom/grandmother guilt!

Basically "this girl" (which sounds an awful lot like "my friend has a problem") will get caught. There are other things out there besides a sorority, and if you.. er.. she really bonds with a group of girls in a sorority I would expect you could help out at their philanthropy events and come to some sisterhood things with your friends. But that's AFTER she a) makes friends with the girls and b) has other activities.

AlphaFrog 10-12-2006 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1987girl (Post 1337738)

Why, bless your heart, you aren't implying that your "friend" would be deceitful, are you? I do declare that no proper young lady would behave in such a fashion.

adpiucf 10-12-2006 11:35 AM

Amen. And I can't imagine someone doing such a thing and then not opening up to her new sisters and letting something slip, at some point, at which time memberships in both organizations would be cancelled and the chapter would be divided-- surely no sane person would want to LIE and cause such a RIFT?

PeppyGPhiB 10-12-2006 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AChiOhSnap (Post 1337750)
However, most (if not all) schools will transfer a woman's Greek history to her new school as part of her general transcript. This information is then passed along to that school's Greek Life office and she will not be allowed to sign up for recruitment or COB...or if she tried, she'd be quickly released from the process once they looked through her file.

Really? I can't imagine my school's registrar office bothering to note my extracurriculars on my transcript...well, in fact I know they didn't, because I've seen my transcript. Is this really common?

OrchidAlum 10-12-2006 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KLPDaisy (Post 1337752)

hijack/

That is hysterical... and the more funny b/c I can imagine several members of my family saying it. :D

/hijack