GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Kappa Kappa Gamma (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   Princeton Kappa remembered (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=90889)

Fleur de Lis 10-11-2007 04:08 PM

Princeton Kappa remembered

This was published on Monday in Princeton's student newspaper. To all the Princeton Kappas, we are so sorry for your loss. Lindsay sounds like an amazing person and sister.

By Kelly Lack
Princetonian Staff Writer

Talented writer and equestrian Lindsay Jacob '08 was remembered yesterday by family and friends in a memorial service held at the Hun School of Princeton.

Jacob died June 15 after a six-year battle with Ewing's sarcoma, a rare form of bone cancer.

During the service, those who knew Jacob recalled her writing ability, compassion for others and devotion to equestrianship. Speakers included Jacob's younger sister, her aunt, friends from the barn where she kept her horse, a sorority sister and classmates and professors from both the Hun School and the University.

Jacob, who lived in Washington Crossing, Pa., at the time of her death, graduated from the Hun School in 2004, where she pursued writing zealously, starting her own "editorial-type newspaper" called The Quill.

The family has started the Lindsay Jacob Scholarship Fund at the Hun School. The scholarship will be awarded each year to a Hun student who excels in writing.

As a tribute to her talent and love for writing, the inside cover of the memorial service program included two paragraphs of an essay she wrote for her AP English class, called "ME."

"She had the ability to make any idea sound good," said Kevin Michel, a 2005 Hun School graduate who worked on The Quill, in an interview before the service.

During her speech, comparative literature chair Sandra Bermann described how Jacob continued her passion for writing at Princeton. "Lindsay spoke engagedly and intensely about her writing," Bermann said, adding that Jacob described writing as "a risk assumed" and "a leap of faith."

In an interview before the memorial, Lisa Luongo, who worked at the barn where Jacob kept her horse, recalled a ghost story Jacob wrote one Halloween in only five minutes. "It was fantastic," Luongo said. "It was the best thing I've ever read in my life."

Luongo was one of several people at the service sporting a yellow polo shirt with a blue horse on the chest and the words "Lindsay Jacob: Ride With Me" on the sleeve.

Others at the service spoke of Jacob's altruism and determination in the face of adversity. Alexis Collatos '08, who knew Jacob through the equestrian team, said in a phone interview afterwards that Jacob "calmed me down when I was nervous" and "gave me advice on the horse I was assigned to ride."

Collatos recalled an instance when Jacob accompanied the team on an overnight trip to lend her support, even though she would not be riding in the competition.

When Collatos was new to the equestrian team, Jacob "went out of her way to help me out — and she barely even knew me," Collatos said. "She made me feel at home."

"She was just an unbelievably selfless person," Michel said.

Arianne Lovelace '08, one of Jacob's Kappa Kappa Gamma sorority sisters, also spoke during the service. "Lindsay was always focused on the things that really mattered," she said. "She so strongly embodied the ideals to which the sorority as a national organization strives."

As the secretary of the University's equestrian team, Jacob "always had great ideas about how to improve the team's organization," such as turning the equestrian team into a varsity sport on campus, team president Allison Harding '08 said during her speech.

Liz Byrne, a 2005 graduate of the Hun School, described Jacob in an interview as "hands-down the best friend anyone could ever have."

Byrne, who flew from Ireland to attend the memorial, recalled "hanging out" with Jacob, playing checkers with her and discussing topics ranging from books to different states of consciousness.

Others recalled Jacob's sense of humor. "Lindsay found humor in the most simple things, the everyday [things]," Beth Katz, Jacob's aunt, said in her speech.

"Lindsay never lived as though she were ill," Katz said. "She certainly lived with a sense of hope."

Others agreed that despite her battle with cancer, Jacob never let her illness keep her from pursuing her goals or enjoying life to its fullest.

"She had an incredible desire to take advantage of her education even when she knew she was sick," Butler College Dean David Stirk said in an interview before the service. "She just wanted to have every experience she could in life."

Carol Fountain, who knew Jacob from the riding farm where the latter kept her horse, used Jacob's horsemanship as a metaphor for her determined spirit. "Lindsay used to say to ride every stride of life, and she really did," Fountain said.

kappa2 10-16-2007 04:01 PM

Sounds like a kappa, doesn't she? You wrote:
"The family has started the Lindsay Jacob Scholarship Fund at the Hun School. The scholarship will be awarded each year to a Hun student who excels in writing."
Do you know how someone could contribute to this fund?

Fleur de Lis 10-16-2007 05:13 PM

I did a quick search, and nothing turned up. I would contact the Princeton chapter president, whose email you can find by a quick search on the Kappa website. If you find a link to the fund, please post it for us!