GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Sorority Recruitment (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=217)
-   -   Mom Wanting To Rush (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=246083)

Oklaw96 04-27-2019 06:49 PM

Mom Wanting To Rush
 
.

carnation 04-27-2019 07:04 PM

Do you think you'll have time for Greek life with 2 children? A sorority is unlikely to excuse you because you have to do child-related things.

33girl 04-27-2019 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oklaw96 (Post 2465787)
Please be respectful.

If that means “just tell me what I want to hear and only positive things” I’m sorry, but you have come to the wrong place.

SEC schools are extremely traditional and 19 year old sophomores often have a problem getting a bid. To say you have an uphill battle would be putting it mildly.

Oklaw96 04-27-2019 07:37 PM

To add, I am a legacy and have multiple references for most of the sororities there. With my class schedule, they will be with family, my boyfriend, or our sitter. Getting into medical school requires a lot of extracurricular activities and I am very passionate about some of these sororities philanthropies as I have either experienced it first hand or it correlates with what I want to do in medicine. For example, working with children who are fighting cancer.

Oklaw96 04-27-2019 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 33girl (Post 2465790)
If that means “just tell me what I want to hear and only positive things” I’m sorry, but you have come to the wrong place.

SEC schools are extremely traditional and 19 year old sophomores often have a problem getting a bid. To say you have an uphill battle would be putting it mildly.


Not at all! I definitely am coming into this with an open mind. I am a legacy for two specific ones and I have references for about 8 of the 12 sororities they have there. Do you think that could be beneficial? I am very passionate about some of the philanthropies and would be very thankful to contribute to charity work and the volunteering that goes on.

AZTheta 04-27-2019 07:52 PM

You asking for advice?

Sign up and go to Open House rounds. Get it out of your system.

Not sure of your intentions, because it sounds like you’re looking to bump your resume for med school applications. That’s how it comes across to me.

I’m skeptical. Tattoos, divorced, a 4.0, two kids. Not a lot that you’re bringing to the SEC sorority table, but you already know that, correct?

Oh, when you post on an Internet forum, you can’t tell people how to respond. Go ask on reddit ( if you haven’t already). FWIW your legacy status and recommendations are something that multiple PNMs also bring to SEC recruitment. Again, you knew that already, right?

Oklaw96 04-27-2019 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AZTheta (Post 2465796)
You asking for advice?

Sign up and go to Open House rounds. Get it out of your system.

Not sure of your intentions, because it sounds like you’re looking to bump your resume for med school applications. That’s how it comes across to me.

I’m skeptical. Tattoos, divorced, a 4.0, two kids. Not a lot that you’re bringing to the SEC sorority table, but you already know that, correct?

Oh, when you post on an Internet forum, you can’t tell people how to respond. Go ask on reddit ( if you haven’t already). FWIW your legacy status and recommendations are something that multiple PNMs also bring to SEC recruitment. Again, you knew that already, right?


Divorced due to domestic violence unfortunately. I also am new to the area so I would appreciate making lifelong friendships. Thank you for being super honest!!!

AZTheta 04-27-2019 08:14 PM

Look, First Corinthians 13 comes to mind. “Put away childish things” to be specific. Come on. You have two children. Where are your priorities? You can get involved in philanthropy without being in a sorority. Ditto for making lifelong friendships.

What exactly are you trying to do here? You know you have nothing in common with the vast majority of PNMs (or actives) at any SEC school and you don’t need Greek letters for med school.

Okay I am done. Good luck, and I write that sincerely.

Oklaw96 04-27-2019 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AZTheta (Post 2465798)
Look, First Corinthians 13 comes to mind. “Put away childish things” to be specific. Come on. You have two children. Where are your priorities? You can get involved in philanthropy without being in a sorority. Ditto for making lifelong friendships.

What exactly are you trying to do here? You know you have nothing in common with the vast majority of PNMs (or actives) at any SEC school and you don’t need Greek letters for med school.

Okay I am done. Good luck, and I write that sincerely.

I know a few girls that are married and have children that are in chapters at an SEC school. Plus, there is huge family pressure to follow a tradition. There is a big part of me that wants to try because that's just who I am. Again, thank you. I really like your honesty.

NYCMS 04-27-2019 09:08 PM

I agree with everything already written and have one other thought for the OP:

What will the members have in common with you? You're divorced, have kids, and are older than the average pledge or member. Even if you were single, I'd say your odds of getting a bid at 23 were very low because there's not a lot in common between 18-22 year olds and a 23 year old, especially when you've experienced so much more life than they've even started to live.

You say you want to make life-long friends - those come from spending hours with your sisters, partly during activities and partly from hanging out. Are you aware of the time demands a sorority puts on its members? It is enormous and requires night-time and weekend commitments...so I'm truly curious how you will juggle that along with classes and family.

thetalady 04-27-2019 11:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oklaw96 (Post 2465799)
I know a few girls that are married and have children that are in chapters at an SEC school. Plus, there is huge family pressure to follow a tradition. There is a big part of me that wants to try because that's just who I am. Again, thank you. I really like your honesty.

Married women with kids as actives in SEC chapters? I don't think so.

I am not going to blow any sunshine up your lab coat. I will answer assuming that this is not a troll. The sorority ship has sailed. Your plate is full already.

There are plenty of extra-curricular activities on every SEC campus to keep you busy that do not require attending mixers and swaps with fraternities, working all night on homecoming floats and attending numerous required meetings and events. You have more important things to do with your time, like raising your children. Whatever free time you have should be devoted to them.

Sororitysock 04-28-2019 03:02 AM

I'm pretty sure this is a troll post, but I'll be frank just in case. It's not going to happen for you. Recommendations for each sorority at your school are basic requirements. They will not make you stand out. Everyone has them. Legacies abound; some chapters have enough legacies to fill an entire pledge class. This is a school with a very traditional Greek life and where prior connections are everything when it comes to receiving a bid.

But ask yourself, why in the world would you want to be hanging out with 18 and 19 year old single childless young women whose biggest concerns are schoolwork and who their formal date will be? What would you do if you have two babies home with chicken pox and need to be at a mandatory sorority event and have a major exam that week? I find it hard to believe that adults in your family would put pressure on you to join a sorority when you have so many far more important commitments in your young life.

A sorority isn't going to pad your resume for medical school admission. It's insulting that you'd even say that's a reason you want to join. There are literally dozens of other campus organizations that will require far less time and commitment, but will further your interest in medicine. Get involved with some of them.

Good luck to you in your studies and with your family.

Titchou 04-28-2019 07:57 AM

All these questions and another- what about the live in requirement? How are you going to live in the house with children, etc? And I have to say also that your wanting to be in a sorority to pad your resume is extremely insulting. Also the members of those 12 groups check this website and you will definitely be on many a "no" list a a result.

Titchou 04-28-2019 07:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oklaw96 (Post 2465787)
Hi, everyone!

I am transferring to an SEC school this fall as a sophomore. I am 23 and started late because I got married and had my two children. I am no longer married but the college I will be attending, I do have family close by. I am also worried because none of the girls I've seen have visible tattoos but I do.... I have 3 on my arm, nothing inappropriate or grungy and can be covered easily.
I am a pre med student and I currently have a 4.0. I am new to this area as well and would love to meet a lot of new friends. I am extremely outgoing.
Any advice would be appreciated.

QFP

FSUZeta 04-28-2019 08:38 AM

I call foul on the several active members who are married with children at SEC schools. Many sororities have a requirement that their active collegiate members be single. If a member marries before graduating (and is in good standing) she is usually granted alumna status.

There will be myriad campus professional orgs and other career oriented orgs that will enhance your resume'. These orgs will not care that you are older, tattooed,divorced, and a mom. These orgs will not require large chunks of time-work week, rush week, initiation week, etc. There will most likely be some atypical students such as yourself who are members in the pro and career orgs. You will have much more in common with them than you would with 18 year old pledges. And philanthropic work that closely aligns with your career plans will be more helpful for you.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:58 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.