GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Sorority Recruitment (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=217)
-   -   Bid Day Pics! (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=89727)

JohnsDGsweethrt 08-26-2007 05:35 AM

Bid Day Pics!

Would anyone like to post bid day pics from their colleges or new member classes? It gives us rush thread addicts something else to look at even as the recruitments end! Congrads to everyone! :)

AOII Angel 08-26-2007 10:50 AM

I think we should post retro bid day pics, too. I think it would be fun to see how things have changed over the years!

Benzgirl 08-26-2007 11:06 AM

Old Bid Day Picts

Get out the scanner sisters and lets have some laughs.:D

violetpretty 08-26-2007 11:09 AM

Not too retro...Spring 04

http://inlinethumb19.webshots.com/11...600x600Q85.jpg
My pledge class on our bid day! I am all the way to the right in the front row. Obviously this was before 4+ megapixel cameras were affordable :)

AOII Angel 08-26-2007 11:14 AM

Try going to photobucket or flickr, they'll give you HTML to put in your message that will insert the picture. It's the same as you would use for My Space or Facebook. I'll try to post my 1993 bid day pic when I can get a chance.

JohnsDGsweethrt 08-26-2007 01:04 PM

great idea ladies!

AOII Angel 08-26-2007 05:49 PM

http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x...ledgeclass.jpg

Sorry the picture is so big...I couldn't size it with my photoshop program. I'm the blonde curly haired girl leaning around the dark haired girl with the bow and a panda in her arms on the right. Our mascots were Raggedy Ann and Pandas so you don't get confused!

Benzgirl 08-26-2007 07:22 PM

Fall 1982 Pledge Class

It was 1982 and a lot of BAD hair. We had 36 pledges (35 was quota) and reached the campus chapter max of 105

http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/c.../PledgeDay.jpg

AOII Angel 08-26-2007 07:50 PM

Wow...y'all definitely looked '80's!

Benzgirl 08-26-2007 08:03 PM

The Composites were worse. In the 80s, your hair took up the whole picture. :eek:

UGAalum94 08-26-2007 08:06 PM

I think all three pictures are adorable.

I do love seeing the differences in decades.

(And yet we all thought we were kind of classic at the time.)

kathykd2005 08-26-2007 08:23 PM

I am in LOVE with this thread. haha

Benzgirl 08-26-2007 09:06 PM

The Alpha Gamma Delta picture is from the Alpha Lambda chapter at Ohio State. The big hair styles were "Mullets" and sideburns. I crack up every time I look at a formal picture.
My cousin, who was a KD at University of Texas, had me beat in the "big hair" category.

JohnsDGsweethrt 08-27-2007 06:03 AM

I don't know about anyone else but I am totally digging the wallpaper in the background :p

AOII Angel 08-27-2007 06:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnsDGsweethrt (Post 1508528)
I don't know about anyone else but I am totally digging the wallpaper in the background :p

Isn't it awesome!?! My pic is from Northeast Louisiana University in Monroe, LA since renamed University of Louisiana at Monroe. We had big hair too...just different. My husband always tells me that I looked Pentacostal in college (not that there is anything wrong with Pentacostals!)

mystikchick 08-27-2007 06:52 AM

Digging the 80s pic, and the 90s pic is filled with girls who remind me of the show on Nickelodeon from the early 90s, Hey Dude. :p

And I mean no disrespect here, but it strikes me that the girls in the photos from the 80s and 90s (vs. VioletPretty's picture) look much older even though I know they'd be the same age as the NMs we see today. I don't know what it is, y'all just look more mature, more adult than the PNMs today. Like, if I saw a girl from the 80s pic vs. a girl from say, Bama's rush this year, I'd have little difficulty believing that the Bama NM was fresh out of HS, whereas I don't get that vibe from the 80s pic. Does anyone else get that feeling, or is it just me?

WhiteDaisy128 08-27-2007 07:19 AM

My mom's bid day (I think it was bid day, it was taken the first year she joined DG - 1968), so it's either bid day or whole chapter?) - she's circled:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...bluecircle.jpg

My bid day (sorry, I had to take a picture of a picture, it was too big to scan!). I'm right smack in the middle, facing forward with a light blue shirt and black skirt.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...1805.sized.jpg

AOII Angel 08-27-2007 09:15 AM

White Daisy...please fix your pix...I can't wait to see them! I agree with Mystikchick, PNMs today do look younger, but I think it's because the hairstyles you see in each generation look like an older generation so the girls look older. I see people starting med school now, and I think they look like babies compared to what my class looked like!

Benzgirl 08-27-2007 10:57 AM

I agree. These were the days of Dallas and Charlie's Angles. A lot of it was the hair styles and the way we dressed.

Today, everyone has very straight hair (thanks to flat irons) and clothes are more fitted. That includes me, in my 40's.

In the 80s, not even high school girls wore their hair straight; only young children wore it that way. And mini skirts were barely over your knees.

Also, today's college girls (not only girls in sororities) are more influenced by the media. They are thinner and wear a lot more makeup than we ever did.

About the green floral wallpaper...we had sofas and love seats to match. They had just remodeld the informal living room before I pledged and everyone thought it was the coolest house!!! Maybe that is why the interior of my house is a neutral mocha color now.

AnchorAlumna 08-27-2007 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhiteDaisy128 (Post 1508536)
My mom's bid day (I think it was bid day, it was taken the first year she joined DG - 1968), so it's either bid day or whole chapter?) - she's circled:

My bid day (sorry, I had to take a picture of a picture, it was too big to scan!). I'm right smack in the middle, facing forward with a light blue shirt and black skirt.

Awwwww. So sweet! You two look so much alike!

violetpretty 08-27-2007 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mystikchick (Post 1508531)
Digging the 80s pic, and the 90s pic is filled with girls who remind me of the show on Nickelodeon from the early 90s, Hey Dude. :p

And I mean no disrespect here, but it strikes me that the girls in the photos from the 80s and 90s (vs. VioletPretty's picture) look much older even though I know they'd be the same age as the NMs we see today. I don't know what it is, y'all just look more mature, more adult than the PNMs today. Like, if I saw a girl from the 80s pic vs. a girl from say, Bama's rush this year, I'd have little difficulty believing that the Bama NM was fresh out of HS, whereas I don't get that vibe from the 80s pic. Does anyone else get that feeling, or is it just me?

I was thinking the same thing but I didn't want to say it! I think it's because only women who are at least 35, maybe 40 have hairstyles like that. I think the 90s girls look about the same as mine (if not younger because of the bow in that girl's hair :))

Unregistered- 08-27-2007 04:36 PM

I have to agree. CJ, you look so much like your mom! How wonderful that she was able to share DG with you.

Thanks for sharing the pictures!

Low C Sharp 08-27-2007 04:47 PM

Quote:

You two look so much alike!
I was thinking the same thing. You look like twins pledging the same chapter! I remember the pic you posted of your initiation. Very sweet.

WhiteDaisy128 08-27-2007 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AOII Angel (Post 1508570)
White Daisy...please fix your pix...I can't wait to see them! I agree with Mystikchick, PNMs today do look younger, but I think it's because the hairstyles you see in each generation look like an older generation so the girls look older. I see people starting med school now, and I think they look like babies compared to what my class looked like!

Can you not see it? I think they are working.

AOII Angel 08-27-2007 07:12 PM

I couldn't see them this morning at work, WhiteDaisy, but I can now! They are so cute...I love your mom's bid day pic. They didn't get bid day shirts?

indygphib 08-27-2007 08:31 PM

I'll bite - I'm in the very top row, first one on the left next to the girl with the really big and curly hair.

Gotta love midwinter in the Midwest - we didn't get our bids until mid-January! That explains the flannel shirts for the most part...then again, it was the mid-90s and flannel was all the rage thanks to Pearl Jam and Nirvana! :D

http://i235.photobucket.com/albums/e...ledgeclass.jpg

WhiteDaisy128 08-27-2007 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AOII Angel (Post 1508955)
I couldn't see them this morning at work, WhiteDaisy, but I can now! They are so cute...I love your mom's bid day pic. They didn't get bid day shirts?

I'm not sure bid day shirts were given back then...I just don't know enough about the late 60's! I wish I could ask her...I haven't seen matching shirts in any of her sorority pictures, so I'm guessing no.

irishpipes 08-27-2007 09:33 PM

This isn't my pledge class, but is 2 years before me. 1985 Iota Chapter of AOII - University of Illinois.

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/a...LEDGES1985.jpg

And this is the year I pledged, but it is the seniors. Bid Day 1987 University of Illinois.

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/a...eniors1987.jpg

Benzgirl 08-27-2007 09:53 PM

Can't wait to get my Father's College year book from the 50's. I'll grab it in a few weeks when I visit and scan some pretty good pictures.

That is where we get into the stereotypes. I remember lots of sororities wearing white gloves (and pearls, of course) in their group picts.

Keep the pictures coming.

honeychile 08-27-2007 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AOII Angel (Post 1508955)

For Shame!! NO sorority woman would have been caught dead in a t-shirt prior to the late 1970's!!

Well, except on the rare Homecoming, Greek Week, or Derby Day t-shirt. The rest of the time, never!

I should dig out some of the old yearbooks my mother has and show those photos - they're really a hoot!

cuteASAbug 08-27-2007 10:32 PM

irishpipes, are the girls holding Lambda Lambda Lambda paddles in your bid day picture?

kathykd2005 08-27-2007 10:38 PM

Why yes, I think those paddles DO say Tri-Lambda... :confused:

honeychile 08-27-2007 11:50 PM

Wasn't Lambda Lambda Lambda the nerds' fraternity in Revenge of the Nerds?

AnchorAlumna 08-27-2007 11:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhiteDaisy128 (Post 1509026)
I'm not sure bid day shirts were given back then...I just don't know enough about the late 60's! I wish I could ask her...I haven't seen matching shirts in any of her sorority pictures, so I'm guessing no.

Back then T shirts were something boys wore under their dress shirts. Silkscreening was very expensive and only used for posters, banners, etc. It would be much more common to dress up, with gloves and pearls! (Well, I think even gloves were passe by 1968).

kdonline 08-28-2007 12:38 AM

Bid Day @ UF was today, so the pictures will be posted shortly at

www.flashesonline.com

AOII Angel 08-28-2007 06:19 AM

I love how all the clothes from the late 80s /early 90s are too big! Irishpipes senior picture is hilarious. Why did we think we needed to swim in our shirts?!

SoCalGirl 08-29-2007 01:35 AM

You had to balance out the hair!

Army Wife'79 08-29-2007 09:29 AM

nylon stockings

Did anyone else notice on the photo of 1968 the girl in front with the nylon stockings (worn with garter belts)? The tops were always darker for 3". I remember when pantyhose were first invented; I thought it was the greatest invention ever! I hated those darned garter belts; we always had little indentions in our legs after sitting in class all day.

AnchorAlumna 08-29-2007 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Army Wife'79 (Post 1509829)
Did anyone else notice on the photo of 1968 the girl in front with the nylon stockings (worn with garter belts)? The tops were always darker for 3". I remember when pantyhose were first invented; I thought it was the greatest invention ever! I hated those darned garter belts; we always had little indentions in our legs after sitting in class all day.

And the horror when a garter popped and your hose sagged!
My 24-year-old daughter thinks its old-fashioned to wear pantyhose:(.

irishpipes 08-29-2007 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kathykd2005 (Post 1509111)
Why yes, I think those paddles DO say Tri-Lambda... :confused:

You people are WAY too young if you don't get Tri-Lambda! That was from Revenge of the Nerds. I feel so old now.