GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Greek Life (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Term: Colonist? (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=235596)

naraht 09-27-2017 08:22 AM

Term: Colonist?

Alpha Phi Omega uses the term "Petitioning Group" instead of colony and the members of a Petitioning Group are referred to as "Petitioners".

However I was thinking that I don't see the term "Colonist" used that much here, with instead "Members of a Colony". Is the term Colonist used at all these days? Was it ever used?

fraternitynik 09-27-2017 11:17 AM

I've never really heard it. Most fraternities use the term "founding father" when they set up a new chapter or re-establish a chapter. I'm not sure about NPC sororities but I feel it's similar.

33girl 09-27-2017 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by naraht (Post 2443147)

However I was thinking that I don't see the term "Colonist" used that much here, with instead "Members of a Colony". Is the term Colonist used at all these days? Was it ever used?

No. No. No. No. No.

If you wanted to get technical, the sorority or the fraternity would actually be the colonist, as they are the ones laying the groundwork for it.

Kevin 09-27-2017 09:18 PM

You're not a founding father 'til you get that charter. Until then, you're a colonist. Although I always said I was a member of a colony because "colonist" the word doesn't sound as good.

Titchou 09-27-2017 09:59 PM

For my NPC group, the three founders are dead and buried in MS so we don't use that term at all. I think NPC is trying to move away from "colony" and "colonization." Establishing I think is the new term but I'm not sure of all the permutations. When using colony, we called the initial NM class charter members. No clue what we are calling them this year!

Sciencewoman 09-27-2017 11:05 PM

We use the term charter members.

aephi alum 09-27-2017 11:35 PM

I've never heard of the term "colonist" being used to refer to a member of a colony.

I was a member of a colony, and later I became a founding sister of my chapter.

GoldBows 09-28-2017 12:16 AM

We use the term 'founder' or 'founding sister' for the first class. I've never heard 'colonist' being used. A fraternity is colonizing on my campus this year and they've been using the term 'colony brother'.

MysticCat 09-28-2017 07:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fraternitynik (Post 2443162)
Most fraternities use the term "founding father" when they set up a new chapter or re-establish a chapter.

I'm not sure about "most." I'm more used to hearing "charter members," which is what we use. I'd never heard "founding fathers" until maybe 15 years ago, and it always sounded odd to me. Only one person in our fraternity is referred to as "Father." The rest of us, including charter members, are brothers.

Before initiation/granting of the charter, they are "colony members."

Sciencewoman 09-28-2017 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MysticCat (Post 2443247)
Before initiation/granting of the charter, they are "colony members."

It's the same for us...charter members becomes the term after the chartering, when members of that first group refer to themselves to the newer members, but since it's extremely rare for a colony not to charter (I don't even remember a case), charter member seems to be used even before colonization.

Cheerio 09-28-2017 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by naraht (Post 2443147)
Alpha Phi Omega uses the term "Petitioning Group" instead of colony and the members of a Petitioning Group are referred to as "Petitioners".

Thank you for using the term "Colonist". Reminded me to look ahead at November's calendar and help decide which of my siblings will have the pleasure of hosting Thanksgiving this year.