GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Academics (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Second Bachelor's Degree? (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=54363)

AUDeltaGam 07-25-2004 05:54 PM

Second Bachelor's Degree?

Has anyone ever gone back to school to get a second degree? Is this available at most or all schools?

Lady Pi Phi 07-26-2004 12:30 PM

I don't have a second bachelors degree, but I know someone who went back and did another one.

I'm pretty sure all schools will let you do this (and I mean why not...it's money for them isn't it?).

I'm assuming it'll be like getting your first bachelors degree.

SnowLady 07-26-2004 12:34 PM

I think there is a stipulation on financial aid though. I'm not certain about that or not. I know I'm looking into a couple certificate programs to compliment my Marketing degree so I know they certainly don't apply and at $65 / credit hour I shouldnt' do it unless I could pay for it lol

winneythepooh7 07-26-2004 12:38 PM

My cousin got his degree in Criminal Justice but doesn't want to do this anymore so he is going back to school for nursing. I think anyone can go back for another degree at anytime. I have heard that there is a limit though in terms of financial aid, because there is such a thing as "career students" although I don't think that is you in this case;)

Taualumna 07-26-2004 01:08 PM

Some schools might let you skip first year as credits are transferrable. So instead of finishing in four years, you get to finish in three if you go full time :) I've considered doing this, so I can have a degree in art history and economics.

Lady Pi Phi 07-26-2004 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Taualumna
Some schools might let you skip first year as credits are transferrable. So instead of finishing in four years, you get to finish in three if you go full time :) I've considered doing this, so I can have a degree in art history and economics.
Taualumna,

you should have no problem completing a second degree if you do it at UofT.
I found this on their website.

“Second Degree” Requirements

Students beginning a second degree are normally exempted from the first year of the degree requirements by being granted five (5.0) credits, four 100-level and one 200-level, regardless of the number of previous degrees held. Students are governed by the rules of the Faculty in place at the time they commence their second degree. Students who already hold a degree from the Faculty of Arts and Science, the University of Toronto at Scarborough or the University of Toronto at Mississauga may complete a second degree only of an alternate type (i.e. if a student has a B.A. degree then he/she may not complete a second B.A. degree).
Note:
In biological and science programs there may be occasions when scientific observations are made by students on themselves or on fellow students. These include common diagnostic or immunization procedures. Unless a valid reason exists, students are expected to participate in such exercises. If any investigative work involving student participation does not form part of the program, participation is voluntary.

Taualumna 07-26-2004 05:23 PM

Thanks Lady Pi Phi! :)

gphiangel624 07-29-2004 09:09 PM

I've actually been trying to get out of my teaching credential program and thought about getting a second bachelor's at CP Pomona for either Communications or Hotel and Hospitality management. I haven't heard from Communications yet, but I couldn't register for any classes (since I'm enrolled as a graduate and all the classes are undergrad) and the HHM major is apparently ONLY for first-time freshman and transfers, which was upsetting.

jonsagara 08-02-2004 05:16 AM

Re: Second Bachelor's Degree?

Quote:

Originally posted by AUDeltaGam
Has anyone ever gone back to school to get a second degree? Is this available at most or all schools?
I toyed with the idea last fall, but I eventually decided against it. My wife and I wanted to buy a house, so I couldn't afford to quit working and go back to school full-time. Also, I didn't want to work full-time and go to school part-time (I'd never see my wife!) for 3-4 years, so I decided that a 2nd bachelors wasn't the way to go for me. I decided to change careers instead. It's actually turning out better this way b/c I'm not working crazy-ass hours, but I'll be making more $ in the long run.

Also, if you're just looking for expertise in a specifc area, you might consider graduate certificate programs.

DawnDZ 08-02-2004 08:39 AM

Alot of schools now offer an accelerated bachelor's option. I am going to get my second degree in Nursing. Alot of schools are offering this type of program, just make sure you meet the requirements. They may want you to have taken certain course work prior to applying. The time in school is also shorter with the accelerated programs. Hopkins for example offers an accelerated BSN which you could obtain in 13.5 months of school. I would research the schools nearby. good luck.:)

SIAsensacion 08-02-2004 09:07 AM

I did two degrees simultaneously (English and communication). The general requirements for the first degree (i.e. foreign language classes, history, math, etc.) applied towards the second degree, and then on top of that I had to complete the major requirements for both degrees. At University of Maryland, the main difference between a double major and a double degree is the number of credits. Double major is 121 credits (same # of credits as one major), and double degree is 150 credits (I think, could be even more).

Doing two degrees at the same time is a LOT of work, but if you are still an undergrad and realize you want a second degree, you will probably save a lot of time (and probably money) by doing your degrees at the same time rather than going back to school later on.

GeekyPenguin 08-02-2004 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by SnowLady
I think there is a stipulation on financial aid though. I'm not certain about that or not. I know I'm looking into a couple certificate programs to compliment my Marketing degree so I know they certainly don't apply and at $65 / credit hour I shouldnt' do it unless I could pay for it lol
$65/credit hour? WHERE? That's insanely cheap.

The1calledTKE 08-02-2004 03:26 PM

I have two bachelors. It's easy to do. You can still get finacial aid if you need it as long as you don't repeat classes or don't take classes you need for the degree.

CASIGKAP 08-03-2004 02:22 PM

I graduate (hopefully) in May of 05 but I've often thought of getting a 2nd bachelors. I'm currently majoring in English & Speech Communications but I 've always had a love of History so I may one day go back & do it.

Munchkin03 08-03-2004 07:13 PM

Re: Second Bachelor's Degree?

Quote:

Originally posted by AUDeltaGam
What are you thinking of going back to study?

$65 a credit hour? I think I paid that much when I took summer classes at the CC.