GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Sorority Recruitment (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=217)
-   -   Too old to join a Sorority? (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=85859)

Miss{BooperDoo} 03-29-2007 05:11 AM

Too old to join a Sorority?

This is my first thread (and first post of anythig...as I've just joined). So work with me if I'm not doing it right :) I'm transferring down to University of South Alabama next Spring (would be Fall, but my boyfriend is in the military and is going to be home for the first time in a year in August...) and at that time I'll be 22. I waited awhile after highschool to start college, so I'll only be a sophomore when I transfer down there. Do you think 22 is too old to join?

1908Revelations 03-29-2007 08:33 AM

When I read the title of this thread I thought you were going to say you were Moses sister or something:D ....you really think 22 is too old. I know ladies of both NPC and NPHC who would not think 22 is too old.

PenguinTrax 03-29-2007 08:41 AM

USA is a Deep South school. Your options may not be as extensive as others, but go in with an open mind and you may end up with a positive outcome. Keep in mind, however, that the members of your incoming class will be in the 17 - 18 year old range.

1908Revelations 03-29-2007 08:53 AM

I'm at UAB.
Several of my line sisters are 18 or barely 19, I am almost 23. I don't have any issues with my LS's, but sometimes they want me to go to parties with them (the 18 to get in), but they understand that if I go out to a club (which is extremely rare) I prefer the 21 and up crowd. That is the only thing that is noticiable...the few of us who are 22 and another is 23 are almost never at parties. I think that the maturity thing is not an issue for me since there are other seniors on my line.

SWTXBelle 03-29-2007 09:02 AM

As an advisor, I always told my active members to consider the woman - not the number. I think a more mature student would be a real asset - so by all means go through rush. Do be ready to discuss why you waited to go to college - and why you think that will make you a better sister!

Miss{BooperDoo} 03-29-2007 01:07 PM

Great Advice

Thanks for all the positive advice :) I personally don't think 22 is too old, but as I've been reading, Greek life is big in the South and 22 might be too old for down where I'm headed (that makes it sound like hell lol) Im from Indiana, IU and Notre Dame are big, but I don't know anyone who goes to either thats too into sorority life...Notre Dame=huge football (obviously) and IU=party party party. Both are pretty expensive to get into, its cheaper for me to go out of state than go to either one of these two colleges that are in state for me. Anyway thats besides the point. Hopefully I'll be able to post a good recruitment thread in about a year...if not its not the end of the world and most certainly not the end all be all of college. Just seems like something that would be fun. And as I'll be going down alone, not knowing anybody, I'll most definatly have an open mind. Thanks again for the advice

FSUZeta 03-29-2007 01:13 PM

as had been said in numerous other recruitment threads, please, try your hardest to secure recommendations to all the sororities at u of s. alabama.

best wishes to you!!

Miss{BooperDoo} 03-29-2007 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1908Revelations (Post 1420106)
When I read the title of this thread I thought you were going to say you were Moses sister or something:D ....you really think 22 is too old. I know ladies of both NPC and NPHC who would not think 22 is too old.

LOL Well...not quite, I am a Sarah though, so maybe sister to Abraham is more like it...but I'd never marry my brother. *shudders and vomits a little*

BethanyW 03-31-2007 11:33 PM

I'm transferring to USA this fall, and I plan on rushing. I don't know anyone who has been in any of the sororities there (or ones at other campuses), and I'm having a hard time finding alum. for recommendations. Since I don't know anyone, I'm worried that I might not be classy enough to join a sorority. :(

cheerfulgreek 04-01-2007 12:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Miss{BooperDoo} (Post 1420076)
This is my first thread (and first post of anythig...as I've just joined). So work with me if I'm not doing it right :) I'm transferring down to University of South Alabama next Spring (would be Fall, but my boyfriend is in the military and is going to be home for the first time in a year in August...) and at that time I'll be 22. I waited awhile after highschool to start college, so I'll only be a sophomore when I transfer down there. Do you think 22 is too old to join?

I don't think so. I think it all just depends on how well you get ot know the members of the sorority.

Unregistered- 04-01-2007 12:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cheerfulgreek (Post 1421464)
I don't think so. I think it all just depends on how well you get ot know the members of the sorority.

I have to disagree. I think it has to do with the campus culture. On some campuses (especially in the South), 22 (regardless of class standing) is too old, especially when the majority of those going through rush are 17-18 years old and sororities may look more favorably on them.

Miss{BooperDoo} 04-01-2007 01:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BethanyW (Post 1421438)
I'm transferring to USA this fall, and I plan on rushing. I don't know anyone who has been in any of the sororities there (or ones at other campuses), and I'm having a hard time finding alum. for recommendations. Since I don't know anyone, I'm worried that I might not be classy enough to join a sorority. :(

Hey definatly keep me informed on how that goes for you, maybe you can give me some tips for when I transfer a semester later lol. Where are you transferring from? You can PM me if you don't want it public.

Weither or not 22 is too old I think I'll try anyway. You never know unless you try right? Technically I'll still be 21 when I rush, but I'll turn 22 that April.

irishpipes 04-02-2007 07:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BethanyW (Post 1421438)

Knowing people does not make you classy! Knowing people just helps to ensure that the sororities get a clear picture of who you are and what you can add to their organization. At USA you will need recs for each sorority so make sure you exhaust every possibility to secure them. Good luck!

irishpipes 04-02-2007 07:46 AM

Booper Doo-

I don't want to seem rude, but a few things struck me from your posts that I just thought I'd mention so you don't go in thinking it's going to be a cake walk.
  • Your age will likely be a factor, especially at a Deep South school. Those schools are sellers' markets and the chapters have their pick. All else being equal, a freshman will have one up on you.
  • Being a transfer student at a Deep South school is also a strike against you.
  • Being from Indiana (or any state other than Alabama) will likely be a strike against you. (Of course I would count it as a point in your favor, personally!)
  • You mentioned the expense of IU and ND - make sure you evaluate the financial obligations of a sorority before you rush and get your heart set on one.
  • You mentioned that your plans are influenced by your boyfriend. Some sororities may frown on that. I hate to say that, because it sounds like your situation is very unusual and I am very supportive of what your boyfriend is doing.

I am sure that at many schools your situation would have little or no affect on your recruitment, but the reality is that USA is Deep South, and Deep South is different. I would recommend getting great recs and also thinking of how you can sell all of your "shortcomings" as assets. Also, it seems that all the things I listed as concerns are things that are now beyond your control. Be sure that the things you CAN control, like your grades and extra-curriculars, are stellar.

Also, BTW Notre Dame has no Greek Life, but it is beyond huge at IU. That is one of the 3 largest Greek systems in the country.

FSUZeta 04-02-2007 10:21 AM

if you pnms have not done so, you may want to visit the usa greeklife website. all the sororities have nice websites. be sure to check out the download on the main greek life page-it shows the suggested outfits for sorority recruitment and describes each days events.