GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Chit Chat (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=185)
-   -   What are ya reading? (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=150076)

jolene 07-09-2015 11:23 PM

What are ya reading?
 
Until recently, I worked at a library (still volunteer there), but my daughter needed me more. Holla fellow book worms! What are you reading? I generally go through phases in I what I read. It could be true crime a la Ann Rule for a few months to Historical a la Diana Gabalon to YA or classic lit or military bios.

AmoXO 07-09-2015 11:32 PM

I liked Judy Blume's newest, In the Unlikely Event. Just don't read it on an airplane, like I did.

jolene 07-10-2015 12:04 AM

Is it about a crash? I've had nightmares about that. Lol. I'm reading the second book in the Vampire Academy series. Not normally a YA reader, but was browsing my library's ebooks. Liked the sisterhood component. The big thing is the bond between Lissa and Rose.

WhiteRose1912 07-10-2015 11:53 AM

I was rereading Pinker's The Language Instinct in my downtime at work until one of the interns asked if she could borrow it. Currently bookless. :(

AmoXO 07-10-2015 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jolene (Post 2320443)
Is it about a crash? I've had nightmares about that. Lol. I'm reading the second book in the Vampire Academy series. Not normally a YA reader, but was browsing my library's ebooks. Liked the sisterhood component. The big thing is the bond between Lissa and Rose.

Yep, although it happened so long ago (the string of accidents in Elizabeth, NJ, in 1951-1952) and under such different circumstances that it bears no resemblance to modern-day aviation. But still, way stupid to start it ON AN AIRPLANE. :D

honeychile 07-10-2015 01:47 PM

I'm reading one of the "Cat Who" books - The Cat Who Robbed A Bank. I wanted something light until Code of Conduct (Brad Thor!) cam out. :D

AOIILisa 07-10-2015 02:18 PM

I just read Kevin Kwan's "Crazy Rich Asians" and the sequel "China Rich Girlfriend" - both were really good! Now I am re-reading "The Year of Living Biblically" by A.J. Jacobs and up next is "Finders Keepers" by Stephen King. I commute by train for 2 hours every day and am a fast reader, so I blow through books pretty quickly.

For anyone who would like a humorous book to read: "Unabrow" by Una LaMarche. I love her wit and writing style.

jolene 07-10-2015 04:01 PM

Brad Thor's always good for action. Lisa, I may have to check out a book called Unabrow" just for the title alone. lol

chi-o_cat 07-10-2015 04:21 PM

I'm currently reading Jesus Land. It's a memoir written by a woman who grew up in the midwest with parents who cared more about their church than their kids. She (understandably) grows into a rebellious teenager, and ends up at some creepy church-run reform school in the Dominican Republic. I'm about halfway through, so just to the part where she arrives at the reform school.

I'm enjoying it because I love memoirs (especially from people of my generation), and I'm also interested in things like fringe religions and religious abuse. In the same trip to the used bookstore where I got this, I also picked up a memoir by someone raised in (and later gets out of) Scientology. I'll read that next. I've probably read 2 or 3 books by women who have escaped from the FLDS (the polygamist sects led by folks like Warren Jeffs), plus Under The Banner of Heaven, by Jon Krakauer.

AmoXO 07-10-2015 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AOIILisa (Post 2320491)
I just read Kevin Kwan's "Crazy Rich Asians" and the sequel "China Rich Girlfriend" - both were really good! Now I am re-reading "The Year of Living Biblically" by A.J. Jacobs and up next is "Finders Keepers" by Stephen King. I commute by train for 2 hours every day and am a fast reader, so I blow through books pretty quickly.

For anyone who would like a humorous book to read: "Unabrow" by Una LaMarche. I love her wit and writing style.

I love Kevin Kwan. His stuff is one of my fave guilty pleasures.

The new Erik Larson, "Dead Wake," is amazing. (It's about the sinking of the Lusitania.) I freely admit to being a Larson fangirl.

I also read Leanda de Lisle's new book about the Tudors (nonfic). Great read.

honeychile 07-10-2015 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jolene (Post 2320497)
Brad Thor's always good for action. Lisa, I may have to check out a book called Unabrow" just for the title alone. lol

Brad Thor is my hero! I've gone to a few of his book signings, and he's a such a nice gentleman!

AOIILisa 07-10-2015 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chi-o_cat (Post 2320500)
I'm currently reading Jesus Land. It's a memoir written by a woman who grew up in the midwest with parents who cared more about their church than their kids. She (understandably) grows into a rebellious teenager, and ends up at some creepy church-run reform school in the Dominican Republic. I'm about halfway through, so just to the part where she arrives at the reform school.

I'm enjoying it because I love memoirs (especially from people of my generation), and I'm also interested in things like fringe religions and religious abuse. In the same trip to the used bookstore where I got this, I also picked up a memoir by someone raised in (and later gets out of) Scientology. I'll read that next. I've probably read 2 or 3 books by women who have escaped from the FLDS (the polygamist sects led by folks like Warren Jeffs), plus Under The Banner of Heaven, by Jon Krakauer.

I read Jesus Land - it was really good, I won't give you any spoilers, and I too am fascinated by the religious fringe and Quiverfull believers. I just read a book called "Unorthodox" written by an Orthodox Jewish woman who left her religion and ended up being ostracized by her family, it was really interesting.

Xidelt 07-10-2015 06:16 PM

I love history, especially women's history. I just finished The Nazi Officer's Wife and In My Hands: Memories of a Holocaust Rescuer. Both were excellent!

TPA85 07-10-2015 06:36 PM

Hannah Hart's book " My Drunk Kitchen: A Guide to Eating, Drinking, and Going with Your Gut"
It's an uplifting life advice meets recipes and funny puns kind of book.

Griffins&Quills 07-10-2015 06:56 PM

Even though it's been out a while, I'm just now reading Divergent. I saw the movie and liked it so I thought why not? It does seem a little bit like a Hunger Games knock off, but eh, whatever.

Alpha O 07-10-2015 10:17 PM

I started The Girl on the Train the other day. I'm not far enough into it to have any real opinion though.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Griffins&Quills (Post 2320520)
Even though it's been out a while, I'm just now reading Divergent. I saw the movie and liked it so I thought why not? It does seem a little bit like a Hunger Games knock off, but eh, whatever.

I thought Divergent was much more angsty than Hunger Games. The first two books were okay, but the third book was a complete let down in multiple ways. Maybe you'll have a different experience.

jolene 07-10-2015 10:21 PM

Read "The Girl on the Train." Liked it, but it had so much hype and anything with that much hype can never deliver (not a fault of the author's). When I originally put the book on hold at the library I was 500-something in line. O.o Seen the two Divergent movies and need to read the books. A friend's DD was an extra for the second movie.

Alpha O 07-10-2015 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jolene (Post 2320535)
Read "The Girl on the Train." Liked it, but it had so much hype and anything with that much hype can never deliver (not a fault of the author's). When I originally put the book on hold at the library I was 500-something in line. O.o

Wow, that's a huge line! I agree with you about things not living up to the hype many times. Sometimes it happens, usually it doesn't. So I definitely tend to take hype with a grain of salt.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jolene (Post 2320535)
Seen the two Divergent movies and need to read the books. A friend's DD was an extra for the second movie.

It's so cool that your friend's DD was an extra for Insurgent!

carnation 07-10-2015 10:51 PM

http://www.bichminhnguyen.com/pioneer-girl/

I love it! It combines the Vietnamese immigrant experience with Little House on the Prairie/Laura Ingalls Wilder!

IndianaSigKap 07-11-2015 01:06 AM

I just finished the Holly Madison book. As I suspected, it was a quick read, but I did enjoy it. She is more perceptive that she always came across on television.

Tulip86 07-11-2015 03:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IndianaSigKap (Post 2320547)
I just finished the Holly Madison book. As I suspected, it was a quick read, but I did enjoy it. She is more perceptive that she always came across on television.

Oooh I heard about that. Might pick it up as well.

Currently reading the newest Steve Berry novel. Very Dan Brown -like, but great summer reading.

FSUZeta 07-11-2015 10:21 AM

Naked by David Sedaris, and Small Gods by Terry Pratchett

jolene 07-11-2015 06:03 PM

I want to read the Holly Madison book too, but not sure if I want to buy it and the library doesn't have it. I usually only buy books if it's something I think I'll want to read more than once. Also tempted by Bobbie Brown's "Dirty Rocker Boys." She's the chick in the "Cherry Pie" video.

Griffins&Quills 07-11-2015 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alpha O (Post 2320533)
I thought Divergent was much more angsty than Hunger Games. The first two books were okay, but the third book was a complete let down in multiple ways. Maybe you'll have a different experience.

Well, I wasn't all the impressed with Mockingjay. I liked the series overall, but Catching Fire was probably my favorite of the series.

Truth be told, two of my favorite YA series are The Mortal Instruments and Beautiful Creatures.

So, I like Divergent and Hunger Games, but they pale in comparison to the other two.

I have a whole wishlist on google books, but I'm working on it

Alpha O 07-11-2015 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Griffins&Quills (Post 2320598)
Well, I wasn't all the impressed with Mockingjay. I liked the series overall, but Catching Fire was probably my favorite of the series.

Truth be told, two of my favorite YA series are The Mortal Instruments and Beautiful Creatures.

So, I like Divergent and Hunger Games, but they pale in comparison to the other two.

I have a whole wishlist on google books, but I'm working on it

That reminded me that I wasn't impressed with Mockingjay either. Catching Fire was also my favorite of the series.

I've been told by a friend that Beautiful Creatures was very enjoyable. I'll add The Mortal Instruments to my list. :)

The Kingkiller Chronicle by Patrick Rothfuss is supposed to be really good fantasy series from what I've been told. I have it on my list, but I haven't gotten to it yet. I'll probably start it after the third book comes out so that I don't have to wait between finishing one book and starting the next.

Sciencewoman 07-12-2015 08:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tulip86 (Post 2320549)

Currently reading the newest Steve Berry novel. Very Dan Brown -like, but great summer reading.

I've read all his books...sometimes he's a bit of a stretch with his imagination vs "real history," but I enjoy his writing and characters.

I just read Day Shift, the second book in Charlaine Harris's Midnight, Texas series. It was really good...better than the first one. They're fun, because they feature minor characters from her previous series (Sookie Stackhouse, etc.)...so everything is tied together.

Right now I'm reading John Grisham's Gray Mountain, about fictional lawyers fighting Big Coal in Appalachia. Also very good.

DaffyKD 07-12-2015 12:01 PM

Currently reading The English Spy by Daniel Silva. It is the latest in his Gabriel Allon series. I love his spy novels and they keep me on the edge of my seat.

I also download books to my phone so I can listen while I'm taking my daily walk. I am not a fan of Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plum series but have found her O'Hare and Fox series. I love them and can't wait for the 4th one to be released in September. If you watched White Collar and enjoyed it, you will love these books.

DaffyKD

Griffins&Quills 07-12-2015 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alpha O (Post 2320599)
That reminded me that I wasn't impressed with Mockingjay either. Catching Fire was also my favorite of the series.

I've been told by a friend that Beautiful Creatures was very enjoyable. I'll add The Mortal Instruments to my list. :)

DO IT! They were both really great. The movies totally flopped at the box office (which is a shame cause I actually kinda liked them) but there's so much more to the stories. And ABC Family is making TMI into a tv show la Pretty Little Liars.

Before Divergent, I read Cruel Beauty by Rosamund Hodge, it had been on sale on google for like $1.99 so I figured why not. A bit slow to start but I liked it by the end.


Sciencewoman 07-12-2015 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaffyKD (Post 2320647)
Currently reading The English Spy by Daniel Silva. It is the latest in his Gabriel Allon series. I love his spy novels and they keep me on the edge of my seat. DaffyKD

I've only read the last two...now I feel like I have to go back and catch up on all the back story on these characters.

kitekat 07-12-2015 11:35 PM

I'm reading the Game of Thrones series. I just started book three today!

Tom Earp 07-14-2015 04:07 PM

About 2 books every 1 to 1 week and 1/2. LOL! Just all kinds!!:cool:

Wide open reading!

When you get done with books, PLEASE PASS THEM LONG with the stipulation that they do also, I do!
:cool:

honeychile 07-14-2015 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaffyKD (Post 2320647)
Currently reading The English Spy by Daniel Silva. It is the latest in his Gabriel Allon series. I love his spy novels and they keep me on the edge of my seat.

DaffyKD

LOVE them! Haven't read The English Spy yet, but I did pick up Brad Thor's Code of Conduct this weekend. I love his books, too, and have met him more than a few times on book tours. YUMMY!

jolene 07-14-2015 07:42 PM

HC, Brad is easy on the eyes.

I love audiobooks (they were vital when I trained/ran my only marathon in late '13) and found some narrators I loved. Phil Gigante narrates some of the Silva books. Great voice. I'd listen to him read the phonebook. If anyone wants audio suggestions, just let me know. :D A narrator can make or break an audiobook. Love the Hunger Games series, but the narrator is way wrong/bad casting. A woman who sounds 50+ years old narrating as a teenager? She also doesn't switch voices well.

MooseGirl 07-14-2015 11:00 PM

I agree with Carnation's suggestion of Pioneer Girl; I read it earlier this year and loved it.

Currently listening to Homeland by Cory Doctorow, narrated by Wil Wheaton, and reading Prairie Fire, sequel to the Story of Owen which is a YA novel set in current times, but with dragons!

I also read the Princess and the Pony by Kate Beaton today. It's a picture book about a warrior princess who wants a war horse and gets a roly poly pony instead. (Don't worry, the battle scene only involves spitballs.)

Griffins&Quills 08-23-2015 12:35 AM

Finished the Divergent series, liked it, but was not happy with the ending. And Google refuses to put anything on my wishlist for sale, so, I'm on to Atlas Shrugged, which I've had in my library a while.

jolene 08-23-2015 05:05 PM

Just finished up "The Help." I know, I know. I'm one of those weird people who wait to read the 'big it books.' I usually wait until the hoopla dies down (in this case waited years) and then read it. I haven't read Harry Potter yet. One day I will. lol I either read it before something becomes big or wait years after. I volunteer at the library I used to work at was shelving audiobooks and TH was one of them and checked it out. The narrators are fabulous. I checked out the movie too. Octavia Spencer and Jessica Chastain are my favorite movie couple. :D I'm about to start "After Perfect" (regular non audiobook) by Christina McDowell.

ThetaPrincess24 08-23-2015 07:01 PM

I am reading several at a time:

Eragon series by Christopher Paolini, I am almost at the end of Eragon (Book 1).
Boundaries: When to Say Yes, How to Say No to Take Control of Your Life by Dr. Henry Cloud & Dr. John Townsend
The iRest Program for Healing PTSD by Richard C. Miller, PhD

LIXO 08-23-2015 09:25 PM

The Kitchen House is an excellent read

APhiLife 08-24-2015 05:15 PM

Just finished Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro. It was really interesting but kind of depressing....

Right now I am reading Unbroken by Lauren Hillenbrand based on the life story of Louis Zamperini. So far it is really good!

Tom Earp 08-26-2015 02:31 PM

Black House by Stephen King!!

It is a whole lot strange!!! WOW!


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:51 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.