GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Sorority Recruitment (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=217)
-   -   How do I explain uniqueness during recruitment? (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=230280)

Cherokee17 06-11-2017 02:03 AM

How do I explain uniqueness during recruitment?

I will be going to recruitment in the fall at a moderately size school with 12 chapters. I am unsure of how to go through recruitment without explaining my situation. I had a brain tumor junior year, and after reducing the size for 9 months it was removed. I have some hair growth but still wear wigs. How do I explain so that I'm not cut because of misconceptions based on my wig. I also don't want to tell everyone that talks to me that I wear a wig and had cancer. When I first went through it, I told everyone somewhat to say it and get my anxiety out over the fear of dying but also being self conscious over the whole issue. Thanks, and it's not as easy as telling me to just "be myself".

Titchou 06-11-2017 08:12 AM

Why would you think you need to explain it? Many girls will have wigs, extensions, etc. I wouldn't mention it. If someone compliments you on your hair, be gracious and say thank you. If someone asks if it's a wig - which I seriously doubt anyone will - you can say yes and then if you feel so compelled any comment you want (my natural hair tends to be unruly, I was concerned the weather would ruin my "do", I had a health issue and my hair isn't back to normal yet,etc,etc,etc) and leave it at that. Frankly, I'd consider it rude of the member to ask.It's a non issue and shouldn't be commented on in polite company so it doesn't require an explanation. In fact, I would probably respond with "why do you ask?" but that might sound snippy during recruitment.

AZTheta 06-11-2017 09:41 AM

First, I'm grateful that you survived a brain tumor. That is a HUGE deal. You are brave, strong, and you had to grow up fast, obviously. So you're going to be fine in recruitment, trust me. You already know life is a lot more important than spray tans, diets, and manis/pedis. But, oh man, do I ever get the hair thing. I do, I do. (((hugs)))

Next, don't be surprised if it has already been mentioned by your recommendation writers (you have recs, right?). That will save you a lot of anxiety and "what if's" because it's likely that the chapters already know this part of your story.

Third, any chapter that cuts you based on your wearing a wig is not a worthy chapter. YOU, my dear, are a worthy person. That's not a word I use lightly.

I'm rooting for you. Big time.

Titchou 06-11-2017 11:19 AM

Ditto, AZTheta!

DGTess 06-11-2017 01:57 PM

AZTheta usually has good advice. This time she hit it out of the park.

What she said!

ladybug12 06-11-2017 02:48 PM

Totally agree!

Let us know how recruitment goes. As AZTheta said, you are head and shoulders above most of your fellow PNMs as far as life experience and knowing what is trivial vs valuable.

We are all cheering for you and continued good health!

AZTheta 06-15-2017 12:40 PM

*bump* Cherokee17 please check your PMs here.

honeychile 06-15-2017 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AZTheta (Post 2433650)
First, I'm grateful that you survived a brain tumor. That is a HUGE deal. You are brave, strong, and you had to grow up fast, obviously. So you're going to be fine in recruitment, trust me. You already know life is a lot more important than spray tans, diets, and manis/pedis. But, oh man, do I ever get the hair thing. I do, I do. (((hugs)))

Next, don't be surprised if it has already been mentioned by your recommendation writers (you have recs, right?). That will save you a lot of anxiety and "what if's" because it's likely that the chapters already know this part of your story.

Third, any chapter that cuts you based on your wearing a wig is not a worthy chapter. YOU, my dear, are a worthy person. That's not a word I use lightly.

I'm rooting for you. Big time.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DGTess (Post 2433668)
AZTheta usually has good advice. This time she hit it out of the park.

What she said!

Could not have said it any better myself.

Cherokee17, please be sure to share your recruitment story. You are going to have a LOT of people cheering for you!