GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Chapter Operations (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=190)
-   -   create a social sorority (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=36344)

cristinasmile 07-14-2003 01:14 AM

create a social sorority
 
I am very much so interested in starting a social sorority chapter at my college. How does one go about doing this? Does one need to find a chapter to be affilated with to call it a "social sorority"? Is this process different than starting a regular sorority chapter?


** As of Tuesday, July 15 at 707pm Eastern Time, the group I am trying to create is a social women's group, unaffiliated. In the future, maybe the women of the group would want to be a local.

There is no greek life on our campus. Whatever we choose as our name, whether we choose words in English and translate them to Greek that represent our group, or simply use English, that is our decision.

I am not ripping off Sigma K. I clearly understand that all mascots, colors, history, etc are copywrited to Sigma and may not be used in any shape way or form. **

James 07-14-2003 12:51 PM

Well lets start with what is on your campus now.

Which sororities do you you have?

which campus? (You don't have to answer)

cristinasmile 07-14-2003 01:38 PM

We don't have any sororities.
I go to Mount Ida College.

It was suggested to me to start a local sorority instead of going through the process of being affiliated. My friend and I are creating this together. One of the sites gave a list of all the names of the sororities and such that are in use. My friend and I chose the name of Sigma Kappa Epsilon Pi. I like what Sigma Kappa represents, eventhough as Sigma Kappa Epsilon Pi we are making our own rules, etc because there isn't a Sigma Kappa Epsilon Pi before us trying to create it as a local chapter.

mmcat 07-15-2003 12:58 AM

go for it...
 
you might want to check several other threads here from those who have already started their own.
wishinhopin comes to mind on the rush thread.
good luck:D

butterfly2001nc 07-15-2003 10:08 AM

sorority
 
Do you want to start from stratch and from a new sorority or perhaps bring an existing sorority to your campus?

You need to think of what you what your sorority to be (ideals, etc.)

Research, Research!!!

PM me if you need any help!

cristinasmile 07-15-2003 10:49 AM

Re: sorority
 
Quote:

Originally posted by butterfly2001nc
Do you want to start from stratch and from a new sorority or perhaps bring an existing sorority to your campus?

You need to think of what you what your sorority to be (ideals, etc.)

Research, Research!!!

PM me if you need any help!

No, we are creating a local, unaffiliated "sorority" but for the meantime we are straying from the word "sorority" and simply calling it a "woman's group". The name of us is currently in the works, but we are Sigma Kappa.. and two other secret words with meaning.

We want our sorority to provide programs/activities for the Mount Ida campus, participate in community service, and have our own social/programs. One thing that I think is important is to have a program specially towards women on an important subject, like date rape.

DigitalAngel126 07-15-2003 12:55 PM

Re: Re: sorority
 
Quote:

Originally posted by cristinasmile
The name of us is currently in the works, but we are Sigma Kappa.. and two other secret words with meaning.

For the love of all things Holy...You are not Sigma Kappa AND anything. You are using "Sigma" and "Kappa" as two letters in whatever your org may be. Not our org + letters you like.

cristinasmile 07-15-2003 12:59 PM

Re: Re: Re: sorority
 
Quote:

Originally posted by DigitalAngel126
For the love of all things Holy...You are not Sigma Kappa AND anything. You are using "Sigma" and "Kappa" as two letters in whatever your org may be. Not our org + letters you like.
YEAH.. I'm not calling our local Sigma Kappa because that's already taken and copywrited.

Sigma Kappa Eirini Pi is not taken.
eirini means peace.

PM_Mama00 07-15-2003 01:00 PM

Why don't you use something original and not something someone on GC fed to you?

cristinasmile 07-15-2003 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by PM_Mama00
Why don't you use something original and not something someone on GC fed to you?
Nobody has "feeded" me anything.

PM_Mama00 07-15-2003 01:04 PM

Yes they did. Someone in one of the other threads said... hey why don't you use something with a meaning, such as Eirini which means peace.

Are you sure you're in college? No one has feeded me anything? Huh?

That1LoudChick 07-15-2003 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by PM_Mama00
Yes they did. Someone in one of the other threads said... hey why don't you use something with a meaning, such as Eirini which means peace.

Are you sure you're in college? No one has feeded me anything? Huh?

Hey now! Let's keep this out of the boards! She asked for help now let's give her some!

GeekyPenguin 07-15-2003 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by That1LoudChick
Hey now! Let's keep this out of the boards! She asked for help now let's give her some!
I think she's being shady...you don't come on here and say "I want to start a local, Kappa Kappa Gamma Rho" unless you have an intention of affiliating with KKG - she wants to be called Sigma Kappa, but it sounds like there's no intention of affiliiating with SK. We look out for each other in the NPC. :D

cristinasmile 07-15-2003 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by GeekyPenguin
I think she's being shady...you don't come on here and say "I want to start a local, Kappa Kappa Gamma Rho" unless you have an intention of affiliating with KKG - she wants to be called Sigma Kappa, but it sounds like there's no intention of affiliiating with SK. We look out for each other in the NPC. :D
Oh my god... I really want to smack someone silly right now.

Look people-
I am starting a social women's group, not a sorority right now. Maybe some point down the road become affiliated, but not this very moment. Yes, there's a hope to affiliate with Sigma Kappa, but for now we are a women's club, not a sororority.

We may call our group Sigma Kappa Peristeri or Sigma Kappa Eirini

GeekyPenguin 07-15-2003 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by cristinasmile
Oh my god... I really want to smack someone silly right now.

Look people-
I am starting a social women's group, not a sorority right now. Maybe some point down the road become affiliated, but not this very moment. Yes, there's a hope to affiliate with Sigma Kappa, but for now we are a women's club, not a sororority.

We may call our group Sigma Kappa Peristeri or Sigma Kappa Eirini

Are you going to call it Peristeri, or Pi? Generally the outward letters (Kappa, Alpha, Banana, etc) symbolize something inward. For example, Gamma Phi Beta could stand for Good Flowers Bloom. (No, you didn't just learn our secret meaning, sorry.) Your posts have confused a lot of people - both in their multitude and their content. Saying you want to start SKEPi but use Sigma Kappa's history (yes, I know you corrected that on another forum, but most people here haven't seen it) is not correct and is very confusing.

BTW, a bit of newbie info for you - don't come onto boards looking for advice and then say you want to smack people. It doesn't get you very far. :p


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:25 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.