GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Greek Life (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Did you pledge someone famous? (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=1144)

allgreek2me 11-28-2001 07:52 PM

re: Famous Pledges

I'm a UT-ADPi alum and Janis Joplin was not a member of my chapter. Rumor had it she was pressured to pledge a sorority (I don't know if she ever did) but she was never initiated as an ADPi.

And Lucy Johnson (LBJ's daughter) was a Zeta at UT. My mom was a freshman when she was a senior.

kimmykimmy 11-29-2001 04:29 PM

Lynda Johnson is LBJ's daughter. She is now married to Chuck Robb (past senator of Virginia).

allgreek2me 11-29-2001 04:42 PM

LBJ's Daughters

Yes, Lynda (aka Lynda Bird) is married to Chuck Robb of VA. Luci, the younger of the two Johnson girls, lives in Austin. She was married to my dad's best friend. They had 4 kids. I know one of them (Nicole). She was a Kappa and is the advisor for the chapter at UT-Austin.

SnakeyKPledge 01-09-2002 05:24 PM

Mike from Real World New York (this past season) is a Theta Chi at Miami University in Ohio.

Corbin Dallas 01-09-2002 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by ChaosDST
I remember seeing MTV Cribs and seeing letters somewhere in his house (I believe it was he and not the other guy from American Pie, with the blonde hair). But, if he is Lambda Chi...I don't think he was "famous" at the time he became a member, which makes a difference.

I know they did a Cribs with Sean William Scott AKA Stiffler, but didn't know they did one with Chris Klein. I know he was cast for 'Election' in high school, and he joined Lambda Chi, I assume after 'Election' was done, but still possibly before he had gained any notoriety...

Senusret I 01-09-2002 08:15 PM

Alpha Phi Omega

Well, since I pledged Alpha Phi Omega only in 1999, I don't know if I pledged anyone famous. . .yet.

However, yes, Bill Clinton did pledge my chapter (Mu Alpha) and I hear that as Governor of Arkansas, he was extremely supportive of the fraternity as a whole.

Georgetown being what it is, we also have pledged people who became lawyers, doctors, and diplomats. Back in the day, we also pledged people who came from old European money. . .

AlphaChiGirl 01-09-2002 08:27 PM

Re: drugs in house

Quote:

Originally posted by Optimist Prime
I just learned this the other day, and thought i should share it for those who might not know. If any member of your sorority or fraternity is caught with any amount of illegal drugs in the house, no matter how small, you will all be charged as a cartel, because technicly our orgs are businesses, and the offical house makes them the place of business.
Oh really? Is this from state to state? Before Thanksgiving, a few guys in fraternities got arrested for possession (and we're not talking small amounts here). Their houses were not charged...they were treated as what they are---individuals.

Optimist Prime 01-09-2002 10:02 PM

Re: Re: drugs in house

Quote:

Originally posted by AlphaChiGirl

Oh really? Is this from state to state? Before Thanksgiving, a few guys in fraternities got arrested for possession (and we're not talking small amounts here). Their houses were not charged...they were treated as what they are---individuals.

I hope its state from state, cuz i think its an unfair law. That sucks that they got charged but good for the chapter as a whole. Anyway, you jshould still remember how that reflects on your chapter, and if your nationals are strict or if your chapter is any other trouble, that could be the last straw. Hope nothing too serious happens.

KappaStargirl 01-09-2002 10:11 PM

I was a member of what is probably one of KKG's smallest chapters, at a tiny private school in very cold Wisconsin, so I think the chances of someone famous going through that chapter are slim at best. Indeed, I think the university itself has about two graduates that anyone else has heard of. However, Kappa as an organization boasts

-Ashley Judd

-Deborah Norville (but for some reason I always get her mixed up with Joan Lunden, who is a DG)

-Kate Spade

-Candice Bergen

-Barbara Feldon (played one of TV's first feminist characters, Agent 99 on "Get Smart")

some authors (including a co-author of that very cool book "Girlfriends," I can't remember her name), some beauty-pageant winners, and me (haha).

My fiance, who is a Sig Ep, never lets me forget about Dr. Seuss and Carroll O'Conner.

TriDeltaGal 01-09-2002 10:31 PM

Actually, Deborah Norville was a TriDelt at Goergia not a Kappa. You can check out our website www.tridelta.org for more distinguished deltas.

mizzougal 01-10-2002 12:48 AM

sheryl Crow

Sheryl Crow was a Theta at MU, its funny to see her picture on the composites. Brad pitt was a Sigma Chi here too.

shopgirl 01-10-2002 12:58 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by KappaStargirl
I was a member of what is probably one of KKG's smallest chapters, at a tiny private school in very cold Wisconsin, so I think the chances of someone famous going through that chapter are slim at best. Indeed, I think the university itself has about two graduates that anyone else has heard of. However, Kappa as an organization boasts

-Ashley Judd

-Deborah Norville (but for some reason I always get her mixed up with Joan Lunden, who is a DG)

-Kate Spade

-Candice Bergen

-Barbara Feldon (played one of TV's first feminist characters, Agent 99 on "Get Smart")

some authors (including a co-author of that very cool book "Girlfriends," I can't remember her name), some beauty-pageant winners, and me (haha).

My fiance, who is a Sig Ep, never lets me forget about Dr. Seuss and Carroll O'Conner.

Dr. Seuss was married to a Sigma Kappa!;)

shopgirl 01-10-2002 01:00 AM

In the Fall of 2000 my chapter pledged Kate Spade's niece. She dropped out though. I wonder if she went Kappa...I don't know. I'll try and get more info and fill ya in later. ;)

Corbin Dallas 01-10-2002 01:26 AM

The father of one of my bro's here is a Sigma Chi from Ball State, as is one of my friends from High School. David Letterman is also a Sig from BSU, and my bros dad was in the same class as him I believe. My bro's parents also went on their first date as a double with Letterman and his woman at the time.

KappaStargirl 01-10-2002 10:54 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by TriDeltaGal
Actually, Deborah Norville was a TriDelt at Goergia not a Kappa. You can check out our website www.tridelta.org for more distinguished deltas.
She was? Oops! Darn it, I always get all those newscasters mixed up. Maybe it was Jane Pauley...maybe? Anyway, thanks for straightening that out. My bad.

One more famous KKG I forgot: Kate Jackson, who played Sabrina on "Charlie's Angels." I had actually heard of her before pledging b/c my mom was a huge fan of one of her other series, "Scarecrow and Mrs. King."