GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Risk Management - Hazing & etc. (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   Miami University Suspends Delta Tau Delta for 15 years (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=246468)

Benzgirl 09-01-2019 09:09 PM

Miami University Suspends Delta Tau Delta for 15 years

Miami University suspended Delta Tau Delta for 10 to 15 years after a student reported being hazed by members who beat him with a spiked paddle, kicked him and forced him to drink lots of alcohol.

https://www.dispatch.com/article/201...5Q-t0VfAayDpEo

navane 09-02-2019 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Benzgirl (Post 2469085)
Miami University suspended Delta Tau Delta for 10 to 15 years after a student reported being hazed by members who beat him with a spiked paddle, kicked him and forced him to drink lots of alcohol.

https://www.dispatch.com/article/201...5Q-t0VfAayDpEo

You know, I really don't understand these responses to hazing allegations (pull the charter and it's all good). If I were to walk into a fast food restaurant, walk up to another customer, and start to beat him with a spiked paddle, kick him and pour alcohol on him, I would be arrested for battery. If there was bodily injury, I'd probably catch a prison sentence for that.

AGDee 09-02-2019 02:58 PM

I wouldn't assume there won't be some type of criminal investigation too, although I think a lot of times the victim isn't willing to press charges so they can't do a lot. The university does what they can. It's up to law enforcement to do the rest.

navane 09-02-2019 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AGDee (Post 2469097)
I wouldn't assume there won't be some type of criminal investigation too, although I think a lot of times the victim isn't willing to press charges so they can't do a lot. The university does what they can. It's up to law enforcement to do the rest.

The criminal investigation should be the same as any battery on the street and something like this shouldn't require a lengthy investigation. If I got sucker punched by some homeless dude in a mall parking lot, I'd be like, "Officer, it was that man there with the green jacket and blue jeans." Done. Or, "Officer, my husband hit me in the face with that coffee mug and broke my nose." Done. The article says that the hazed student is the one who made the report. Now, if the victim doesn't want to press charges, I guess that's one thing; but, getting kicked and hit with a "spiked" paddle is still battery and people seemingly don't want to arrest "college kids".

ForeverRoses 09-03-2019 08:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AGDee (Post 2469097)

I thought in Ohio that charges can be brought in abuse cases even if the victim doesn't want to press charges. And this definitely sounds like abuse to me...

KFKPHIMU 09-05-2019 05:11 PM

No criminal charges have been filed, but Oxford police said the butler county prosecutor is still reviewing the case and charges are still possible.

Hazing in Ohio is a misdemeanor of the fourth degree

*winter* 09-15-2019 08:47 PM

Agree 100%. These kids get a pass from what is nothing but criminal activity. Beating someone is never okay. Not to get political, but...We all know if this went down in a poor minority neighborhood in Cleveland, there would be no question of pressing charges or not.

naraht 09-16-2019 07:07 AM

Also, I've never understood why 10-15 years. I understand banning for long enough to make sure that none of the current brothers are still on campus, but beyond that just seems odd.

ASTalumna06 09-16-2019 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by naraht (Post 2469633)
Also, I've never understood why 10-15 years. I understand banning for long enough to make sure that none of the current brothers are still on campus, but beyond that just seems odd.

My guess is it's one of two things (or both):

1) Lay down a harsher punishment to get across a message of "This is egregious, and we're not putting up with this s***"

2) Ensure that even after the current members graduate, they can't stick around as recent alumni and influence a rechartered chapter

Benzgirl 09-17-2019 07:48 PM

Quote:

I think much of this has to do with the pattern of hazing on this campus. It's rampant, both in fraternities and in sororities. My opinion is that many who attend this school have a sense of entitlement beyond what I have seen at other universities.

Katmandu 09-23-2019 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Benzgirl (Post 2469696)
I think much of this has to do with the pattern of hazing on this campus. It's rampant, both in fraternities and in sororities. My opinion is that many who attend this school have a sense of entitlement beyond what I have seen at other universities.

Yes, this. It is never ending on this campus, and no matter how much the Greek Life office tries to address it, no matter how much nationals try to address it, no matter how dedicated individual chapter advisors are, every year/every other year -- another egregious story makes the news. Sororities and Fraternities are both equal opportunity offenders at Miami. It is a very challenging climate for chapter advisory boards, particularly when the advisors come from a different school or region and have no patience with the atmosphere in Oxford.

15 years is not long enough in my book. Many times when chapters are placed on probation, it becomes a mark of honor that they use in PR. I know of one sorority in particular that played that game when put on probation.

naraht 09-23-2019 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Katmandu (Post 2469858)
Yes, this. It is never ending on this campus, and no matter how much the Greek Life office tries to address it, no matter how much nationals try to address it, no matter how dedicated individual chapter advisors are, every year/every other year -- another egregious story makes the news. Sororities and Fraternities are both equal opportunity offenders at Miami. It is a very challenging climate for chapter advisory boards, particularly when the advisors come from a different school or region and have no patience with the atmosphere in Oxford.

15 years is not long enough in my book. Many times when chapters are placed on probation, it becomes a mark of honor that they use in PR. I know of one sorority in particular that played that game when put on probation.

The question is whether Delta Tau Delta will refuse to do anything on campus for 10 years, and if the group continues to call itself Delta Tau Delta and/or use Delta Tau Delta symbols will Delta Tau Delta be willing to sue.

d59u 09-23-2019 03:59 PM

Miami is working hard to become a "public ivy" and is recruiting very hard at elite schools around the country to get smart, well-off kids. Unfortunately, they also get a lot of kids coming from a very "entitled" background who feel they get away with anything. It is a great school and an impressive campus. I don't envy the advisors because they have their work cut out.

Benzgirl 10-04-2019 09:47 AM

Here is an update from the Associated Press:
Hazing probe leads to indictment of fraternity members

OXFORD – An investigation into alleged hazing by a fraternity at Miami University in Ohio has led to misdemeanor charges of hazing and assault against more than a dozen fraternity members.

A student reported in March that members of the Delta Tau Delta chapter at the university in Oxford hazed him during initiation.

The student said he was beaten with a spiked paddle, kicked and forced to drink lots of alcohol.

The Hamilton-Middletown Journal-News reported Oxford police confirmed that a Butler County grand jury’s recent indictments of the 18 men stemmed from an investigation into hazing.

Miami suspended the fraternity in August for 10 to 15 years after its investigation determined violations of the school’s Code of Student Conduct.

Delta Tau Delta’s national headquarters revoked the chapter’s charter in June.

–Associated Press

Kevin 10-06-2019 03:09 PM

Quote:

That span of time would make it more difficult for alumni of the suspended group to come back as volunteers continuing to promote practices which got them suspended in the first place.