GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Recruitment (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   AmandaMarie's mini-rush thread (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=22792)

amandamarie 08-29-2002 02:46 PM

AmandaMarie's mini-rush thread

Hey everyone! I am excited to announce that I am going to be participating in the recruitment for the new ZTA colony at KU. Even though it doesn't start till the 17th, I thought I would get on here early and maybe get some advice. I spoke with one of the consultants today and here's the scoop - they're looking to choose around 150-160 girls and the first event is an info session the weekend before. Then, on the 17th, is the first round, an introductory event. On the 18th is philanthropy and the 19th is prefs at the DX house (woohoo!). The 20th is bid day, but they didn't give me much info on it. First of all, I want to get opinions on what to wear :-p For the 1st night, I'm thinking a dark jean skirt with a solid top. 2nd night, a light blue or light pink patterned skirt (I loved it so much, I got 2 :-p ) with a white sleeveless sweater and gray shoes. For prefs, I'm kinda stuck. I'm a larger girl, and I have trouble finding dresses that fit nicely in my budget. I found a long black skirt and a black top with lacy trim, would that be appropriate? Also, since it is a colony, will the dress be as formal as formal recruitment? I assume so, and I figure it's always best to overdress just in case. Anyway, I look forward to hearing from all of you, and I'll make sure to keep you posted!

PenguinTrax 08-29-2002 03:11 PM

Your outfits sound fine, espcially the plain black outfit for Preference Night.

Good luck and keep us posted! Rock Chalk is another GC member that will be attending the ZTA informational sessions as well.

AOIIalum 08-29-2002 03:36 PM

Best of luck to you, AmandaMarie. Please let us know how things are going!

Christin

DeltaBetaAGD 08-29-2002 03:46 PM

Good luck!

Good luck Amanda Marie! Looking forward to hearing how it goes!!!:)

violets 08-29-2002 04:34 PM

Good luck AmandaMarie! Your outfits sound just lovely, I'm certain you are going to look great. As for them being too formal, well I honestly think that ZTA is pulling out all the stops for this colonization so I get the feeling that you can use the dress standards of formal recruitment as your guide.
Remember that you can look on the Zeta website
http://www.zetataualpha.org if you'd like to know more about their organization in advance. It might spark some conversation topics for your interview and for philanthropy night.
You can also look on the NPC website: www.npcwomen.org to learn about all the sororities.
Best of luck, can't wait to hear how the events go!
violets

RockChalk 08-29-2002 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by PnguinTrax
Your outfits sound fine, espcially the plain black outfit for Preference Night.

Good luck and keep us posted! Rock Chalk is another GC member that will be attending the ZTA informational sessions as well.

Yup, Amanda and I have been PMing each other. I don't have any idea what to wear either, so if you have advice don't hesitate to share!

PenguinTrax 08-29-2002 06:29 PM

My advice would be to get gradually dressier as the week went on. For prefs something dressy, classy and simple is best - well accessorized, too. Nothing long like a prom/formal dress. Cocktail dress or similar type of outfit would be great.

And RC - good luck to you too! I know this has been a long summer of waiting for you!

For both you and Amanda - study ZTA's history and ideals, learn about our programs, ask pertinent questions about how the colony will be structured and supported, express yourself through your willingness to both listen and share your hopes and ideas for the new chapter!

Jhawkalum 08-29-2002 06:52 PM

Good luck AmandaMarie! I'm an alum of ADPi at KU and I was a Rho Chi, too! I think your choices of attire sound appropriate. Find some cute and trendy jewlery or purses to go with your outfits. Make sure your fingernails and toenails are nicely manicured (but don't get gaudy long nails in crazy colors!) get your hair trimmed -- dress as though you would for a first date. When you do meet the Zetas, let them know what your bring to the table (they will probably want to eventually do Rock Chalk Revue - can you sing dance or write?), they are looking for future presidents, panhellenics reps, etc... Make sure to have fun too!

33girl 08-29-2002 09:21 PM

Dear KU people...

This might have been answered before, but what is a "Rock Chalk Revue"?

Let me know, and I'll tell you all about ALF. :D

RockChalk 08-30-2002 08:25 AM

The Rock Chalk Revue is when a fraternity and sorority pair up to put on a one-act play. Usually 10-14 pairs of organizations submit their plays and five are picked. All proceeds from the show benefit the United Way.

For more info, check out these articles:
http://www.kansan.com/arch/2000fall/...edway10-6.html

http://www.kansan.com/stories.asp?id=199611260016

amandamarie 09-17-2002 02:42 AM

here we go!

Well everybody, colonization for ZTA kicks off tomorrow! I'm sure most of you have been keeping up with RockChalk and I hope you're all excited for us! I have changed my outfits some. Tomorrow, I'll be wearing black satiny pants, a black camisole, and a white button down shirt, with black boots. The second one is the same, but I found a great dress for prefs, it's black with a small allover red boxy print :-) Anyway, I'm really looking forward to this week, even my best friend who is anti-greek is helping do my hair and stuff. I think tomorrow's supposed to be mainly informative, but I'll post afterwards and let you all know how it went. I look forward to hearing from you all.
-Amanda

Jhawkalum 09-17-2002 03:22 PM

Good luck AmandaMarie! It's great to hear that your non-Greek friends are supporting you -- let them know how much it means to you. Because if you join a sorority, it will still be really important to have close friends outside of your chapter.

By the way, how are your classes going? Do you live in a dorm or a schol hall? How did you decide on KU. I'm a third-generation Jayhawk from out-of-state. My boyfriend (who I met at KU) and I have very fond memories of our time at there, and we hope to one day move back to Kansas. Enjoy your time there & keep us posted!

azureblue 09-17-2002 05:00 PM

Good Luck!

AmandaMarie~

Good luck and have fun! I am Alpha Delta Pi who just graduated from KU in May. Please keep us posted:)

Rock Chalk Jayhawk!

~azureblue~

Alpha Delta Pi....First. Finest. Forever.

aephi alum 09-17-2002 06:39 PM

Good luck and have fun! :)

amandamarie 09-17-2002 09:59 PM

Day 1

Well, I just got back from the first night. There were TONS of girls, and all of them that I talked to were very nice and as excited as I am. The meeting was very informative, they told us lots about the history, dues, and briefly of what they're looking for. I was very happy to hear that the dues aren't outrageous, and that they're willing to look at girls with lower GPAs. My grades are decent, but they're no 4.0 lol. I thought it was really cool that the national president was there, she seemed really nice. I'd like to get some opinions on my chances of getting a bid. I have decent grades, but I attend part time. I think that could work in my favor, as I have at least 3, maybe 4 years left here. I'm involved with Student Senate, and student union activities. I'm just stressing over everything I suppose. Do most sororities allow part time students? I've never heard anything contrary, so I assume so. I have my Info-View tomorrow morning, I'll let you all know what I find out. Also, about clothes :-p I was very surprised at how many girls showed up in jeans, I think I looked very nice. Anyway, I'll post again tomorrow, maybe sooner. Thanks for all the help guys!
-Amanda