GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Events (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=187)
-   -   "Meet the Greeks" at Cheltenham Mall in Philly! (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=96302)

rhoyaltempest 05-13-2008 12:51 PM

"Meet the Greeks" at Cheltenham Mall in Philly!

"Meet the Greeks: We Do More Than Step"
Saturday, May 17, 2008
12p - 4pm
Cheltenham Square Mall
2385 W. Cheltenham Ave., Phila., PA.

This is the community's chance to come out, ask questions, and meet the members of the Philadelphia NPHC and their local Alumnae chapters.

All of the NPHC orgs will be represented and will have their own table.

Don't Miss It!

Sororities:

Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc.
Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc.
Zeta Phi Beta Sorority, Inc.
Sigma Gamma Rho Sorority, Inc.

Fraternities:

Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity, Inc.
Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity, Inc.
Omega Psi Phi Fraternity, Inc.
Phi Beta Sigma Fraternity, Inc.
Iota Phi Theta Fraternity, Inc.

baci 05-13-2008 12:56 PM

Much success and enjoy your day!

AKA_Monet 05-13-2008 06:42 PM

rhoyal--

How did your get all your graduate affiliate orgs together to do that in your city? Just asking? I thought of doing something like that in my area, but folks have not reached that level yet.

Good luck on your event!!! I hope you get some interesting insights.

IlovemyAKA 05-13-2008 07:06 PM

This sounds like a wonderful idea! I'm still new in the game and already I'm tired of hearing: "Do you guys stomp?"

tld221 05-13-2008 07:22 PM

that DOES sound like a good idea - i would come down but i have chapter meeting that day!

rhoyaltempest 05-14-2008 01:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AKA_Monet (Post 1650944)
rhoyal--

How did your get all your graduate affiliate orgs together to do that in your city? Just asking? I thought of doing something like that in my area, but folks have not reached that level yet.

Good luck on your event!!! I hope you get some interesting insights.

The Philly chapter of the NPHC has been around for a long time and is very established and known throughout the city. They are responsible for hosting the Philly Greek every year. Each of the NPHC orgs (Alumnae chapters) in the Philly area has representatives that regularly attend the Philly NPHC meetings and like any other chapter, there are officers, committees, and committee chairs. Having a local chapter of the NPHC in a city keeps all of the Alumnae NPHC chapters socializing and working together. There is always something to do and we all support eachother's events as well as the local NPHC events. To start a chapter in your city, contact the NPHC national headquarters or go to their website to find out the process. Then you'd have to contact the local NPHC Alumnae chapters in your area to see who's interested.

rhoyaltempest 05-14-2008 01:24 AM

Thanks for the well wishes everybody. The event has been well publicized so we think the turnout will be great. I'll let you know how it went.

rhoyaltempest 05-14-2008 01:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tld221 (Post 1650969)
that DOES sound like a good idea - i would come down but i have chapter meeting that day!

Awww, sorry you can't come. Did you attend regionals this year? Eta Nu Sigma represented. Send me a PM.

AKA_Monet 05-14-2008 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rhoyaltempest (Post 1651272)
The Philly chapter of the NPHC has been around for a long time and is very established and known throughout the city. They are responsible for hosting the Philly Greek every year. Each of the NPHC orgs (Alumnae chapters) in the Philly area has representatives that regularly attend the Philly NPHC meetings and like any other chapter, there are officers, committees, and committee chairs. Having a local chapter of the NPHC in a city keeps all of the Alumnae NPHC chapters socializing and working together. There is always something to do and we all support eachother's events as well as the local NPHC events. To start a chapter in your city, contact the NPHC national headquarters or go to their website to find out the process. Then you'd have to contact the local NPHC Alumnae chapters in your area to see who's interested.

We have one for a very long time. But doing a "Meet the Greeks" event has not occurred to them because most folks think that is an undergraduate type of thing...

Anyhow, it seems like a great idea where we can invite some key people and build networks. Also to attract interests and potentials.

Good luck on your event.

jojapeach 05-15-2008 02:16 PM

^^^ I can't say what the attitude of the Greater Atlanta Pan-Hellenic Council is, but I think the even is a great idea.

Good luck to y'all in Philly! I'm looking forward to the update.

NinjaPoodle 05-15-2008 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rhoyaltempest (Post 1650631)
"Meet the Greeks: We Do More Than Step"
Saturday, May 17, 2008
12p - 4pm
Cheltenham Square Mall
2385 W. Cheltenham Ave., Phila., PA.

This is the community's chance to come out, ask questions, and meet the members of the Philadelphia NPHC and their local Alumnae chapters.

All of the NPHC orgs will be represented and will have their own table.

Don't Miss It!

Sororities:

Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc.
Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc.
Zeta Phi Beta Sorority, Inc.
Sigma Gamma Rho Sorority, Inc.

Fraternities:

Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity, Inc.
Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity, Inc.
Omega Psi Phi Fraternity, Inc.
Phi Beta Sigma Fraternity, Inc.
Iota Phi Theta Fraternity, Inc.

I'm going to jump on the bandwagon and also wish you well with this event soror!

DSTCHAOS 05-15-2008 08:34 PM

I'm glad that every org will be there. :) It should be a huge success.

Not like my opinion counts for this NPHC chapter, but I would have rather the Greek-meeting happened within the context of a community empowerment day or a health fair. Then the "we do more than step" would be more evident without them having to ask about it. This is kind of undergradish (we did NPHC question-answer sessions and a joint NPHC-IFC panel).

The local NPHC chapter used to do socials (not a meet the greeks because 99% of the attendees were Greek) and hosts a number of social and service programs. Always a good turnout but the high accomplishments of the individual organizations' graduate chapters often overshadow what the NPHC chapter is doing.

AKA_Monet 05-15-2008 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DSTCHAOS (Post 1652356)
I'm glad that every org will be there. :) It should be a huge success.

Not like my opinion counts for this NPHC chapter, but I would have rather the Greek-meeting happened within the context of a community empowerment day or a health fair. Then the "we do more than step" would be more evident without them having to ask about it. This is kind of undergradish (we did NPHC question-answer sessions and a joint NPHC-IFC panel).

The local NPHC chapter used to do socials (not a meet the greeks because 99% of the attendees were Greek) and hosts a number of social and service programs. Always a good turnout but the high accomplishments of the individual organizations' graduate chapters often overshadow what the NPHC chapter is doing.

I agree. For us, it would nice to see my NPHC affiliate to do an overarching community service "open house" or display of all our programs. So when there are children, youth programs, then the community and affiliates can rally behind it.

rhoyaltempest 05-16-2008 11:16 AM

I think they decided to go with the whole "Meet the Greeks" theme because the NPHC is doing this together. Individually it's not uncommon to see groups with their tables at community fairs and events and as for a community service "open house," we have one coming up in June although we call it our "Public Meeting." But I do think they could've left out the "...We Do More Than Step" part but I do understand why they did it. The Philly NPHC and the individual groups get lots of invitations to step at different events around the city and people are just tired of it already.

DSTCHAOS 05-16-2008 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rhoyaltempest (Post 1652593)
The Philly NPHC and the individual groups get lots of invitations to step at different events around the city and people are just tired of it already.

I don't blame them for being tired of it.

At the graduate level, I haven't seen too many chapters only invited to stuff to step. But at the undergraduate level, it seems the only time the university or other student organizations wanted our presence was if we were going to step. I remember when a fraternity was invited to step at the state fair for some kids and it worked out very well. But surely they could've done something other than step.

BTW, what's up with the Philly Greek? Is the Philly NPHC going to bring it back to its glory days? :)