GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Greek Life (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   multicollegiate and multicultural. (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=126514)

angelgibmwjjjrl 05-08-2012 11:34 PM

multicollegiate and multicultural.

hey everyone, i'm completely new here so forgive me for being a newbie LOL (: and oh, first off i just want to say i want to create a multicollegiate and multicultural sorority in NYC.

i went to two different sorority rush events these past few months. my first one involved a multicollegiate and "multicultural" but it was generally a bunch of asians with very few numbers of other cultures. today i went to one which more campus based but DEFINITELY a lot more multicultural.

after these two events, i realized i really would like to have a group of girls i can call my sisters, for life. then i thought of creating my own sorority. i have so many questions and concerns about organizing one and i understand that it would take a lot of work to make one from scratch but i'd really like to.

i read about NPC a bit but i'm not sure if i'm comprehending everything. i would really like to know do i need to join a specific greek national society or something because i don't know where to begin.

if you can provide links that can help me on this life changing journey, i'd great appreciate it and if you can provide me with advice personally, i'd be very thankful!

knight_shadow 05-08-2012 11:37 PM

What was wrong with the second sorority?

angelgibmwjjjrl 05-08-2012 11:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by knight_shadow (Post 2144656)
What was wrong with the second sorority?

it was a city college and i'm from a private university. it just seemed very messy to me and they couldn't sign me into their event or anything and we had some trouble with the security guard and such. and i realized, a bunch of them were very drama and rumor prone. i'm not sure but are all sororities like that? ;x

Greek_or_Geek? 05-08-2012 11:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by angelgibmwjjjrl (Post 2144655)
hey everyone, i'm completely new here so forgive me for being a newbie LOL (: and oh, first off i just want to say i want to create a multicollegiate and multicultural sorority in NYC.

i went to two different sorority rush events these past few months. my first one involved a multicollegiate and "multicultural" but it was generally a bunch of asians with very few numbers of other cultures. today i went to one which more campus based but DEFINITELY a lot more multicultural.

after these two events, i realized i really would like to have a group of girls i can call my sisters, for life. then i thought of creating my own sorority. i have so many questions and concerns about organizing one and i understand that it would take a lot of work to make one from scratch but i'd really like to.

i read about NPC a bit but i'm not sure if i'm comprehending everything. i would really like to know do i need to join a specific greek national society or something because i don't know where to begin.

if you can provide links that can help me on this life changing journey, i'd great appreciate it and if you can provide me with advice personally, i'd be very thankful!

You went to a grand total of two rush events and decided to found your own sorority? This must be some kind of record.

33girl 05-08-2012 11:47 PM

Most collegiate chapters of sororities will only admit women from the college they are attached to. NPC groups will not admit members from multiple colleges to their chapters. (Ex: if a chapter of ABC sorority is chartered at the University of Chicago, all the members of that chapter must be students at the University of Chicago. Students from Loyola or DePaul are not allowed to join, even though those universities are in the city of Chicago.)

angelgibmwjjjrl 05-08-2012 11:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 33girl (Post 2144659)
Most collegiate chapters of sororities will only admit women from the college they are attached to. NPC groups will not admit members from multiple colleges to their chapters. (Ex: if a chapter of ABC sorority is chartered at the University of Chicago, all the members of that chapter must be students at the University of Chicago. Students from Loyola or DePaul are not allowed to join, even though those universities are in the city of Chicago.)

Really appreciate your advice! (: I hope i'm not bothering you with too much. but does a sorority HAVE to be chartered though?

angelgibmwjjjrl 05-08-2012 11:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greek_or_Geek? (Post 2144658)
You went to a grand total of two rush events and decided to found your own sorority? This must be some kind of record.

woops, well, i don't know if it makes a big difference but, i meant two rush weeks, held by two different sororities, not just two events alone. (:

knight_shadow 05-08-2012 11:59 PM

Before you even think about the logistics, WHY are you considering starting a sorority from scratch as opposed to bringing an existing one to your campus (or joining one of the existing groups on your campus)?

Serious question.

33girl 05-09-2012 12:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by angelgibmwjjjrl (Post 2144660)
Really appreciate your advice! (: I hope i'm not bothering you with too much. but does a sorority HAVE to be chartered though?

An NPC sorority does, yes. You can't just pick one off the internet and say you have a chapter. The national headquarters will sue your pants off.

angelgibmwjjjrl 05-09-2012 12:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by knight_shadow (Post 2144663)
Before you even think about the logistics, WHY are you considering starting a sorority from scratch as opposed to bringing an existing one to your campus (or joining one of the existing groups on your campus)?

Serious question.

i really don't know too much so please forgive my lack of knowledge with greek life. i'm looking to join/create a multicollegiate sorority. the ones at my college are unfortunately oriented by the latino culture, middle eastern and such but i'm looking for a multicultural.

angelgibmwjjjrl 05-09-2012 12:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 33girl (Post 2144664)
An NPC sorority does, yes. You can't just pick one off the internet and say you have a chapter. The national headquarters will sue your pants off.

oh i see! i'll do some more research about existing sororities for now before i go all crazy and think of making my own. i really appreciate the help (:

knight_shadow 05-09-2012 12:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by angelgibmwjjjrl (Post 2144665)
i really don't know too much so please forgive my lack of knowledge with greek life. i'm looking to join/create a multicollegiate sorority. the ones at my college are unfortunately oriented by the latino culture, middle eastern and such but i'm looking for a multicultural.

Quote:

Originally Posted by angelgibmwjjjrl (Post 2144666)
oh i see! i'll do some more research about existing sororities for now before i go all crazy and think of making my own. i really appreciate the help (:

:)

Good luck.

DubaiSis 05-09-2012 01:21 AM

Look at a non-academic sorority like Beta Sigma Phi. You can have members from anywhere (they even have a web based chapter), and there is a possibility there's already a BSF in your city.

But, and I can't emphasize this strongly enough, DO NOT start a new sorority. Find an existing sorority to work with. There are gazillions out there. I know some multicultural sororities are really pretty much a single culture (Latina and Asian come quickly to mind) but that doesn't mean they all are. If your campus doesn't offer you the sorority you think you want, you can always go looking for one that is not represented on your campus and see if they're interested in expansion. Google is your friend, much like capitalization.

knight_shadow 05-09-2012 01:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DubaiSis (Post 2144673)
Look at a non-academic sorority like Beta Sigma Phi. You can have members from anywhere (they even have a web based chapter), and there is a possibility there's already a BSF in your city.

I don't think that's the type of Greek experience she's looking for.

psusue 05-09-2012 02:35 AM

When I think of multicultural sororities, Theta Nu Xi pops into my head first. They don't have a chapter in NYC though.