GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Greek Life (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Beta Gamma Sorority (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=132600)

pas 02-19-2013 01:07 PM

Beta Gamma Sorority

Hello,
I am doing some research on defunct/absorbed sororities that were once members of the AES or NPC. I found on the wikipedia webpage that a sorority BETA GAMMA was once a member of the NPC. The only information on it is that the sorority was founded at University of Colorado.

According to the history of the NPC, there is no mention of a sorority BETA GAMMA. https://www.npcwomen.org/resources/p...Friendship.pdf

I have looked at the older editions of Baird's which are free online and I was not able to find this sorority. If they were indeed in the NPC, I would have thought that they would be listed.

Maybe someone just put a random sorority on the wikipedia page? Has anyone heard of this sorority at all or came across them in your research?

Thanks!

badgeguy 02-21-2013 10:29 PM

The only Beta Gamma that was at the University of Colorado was an old local mens fraternity, of which is listed in the 1927 and 1930 Bairds Manuals. I looked though the yearbooks of UC which are available online but could not find any such group.

I would suggest contacting the NPC to see if they have any records of which groups joined when...If there was a Beta Gamma then it was obviously absorbed by another sorority shortly thereafter.

If you do find anything, please post it here as I would also be interested in learning why that name was posted on the wiki page.

BG

badgeguy 02-21-2013 10:36 PM

I did however find a sorority called Beta Gamma at Kent State University which existed in the 1940s but not sure if these two are connected.

https://cache.nebula.phx3.secureserv...9-555485281080

BG

badgeguy 02-21-2013 10:59 PM

Ok more info I found:

It seems that Beta Gamma may be correct, but the school listed was Kent State rather than Colorado. According to the Kent yearbooks, sometime between 1939 and the 1940 publications three sororities went from being national to locals:
-- Gamma Sigma Phi was the Alpha Sigma Tau chapter
-- Beta Gamma was the Delta Sigma Epsilon chapter (of which DSE later merged with Delta Zeta)
-- Alpha Omega was the Alpha Sigma Alpha chapter

Why this happened I do not know, but hopefully this info will help with your research.

Best of Luck.

BG

pas 02-25-2013 10:55 AM

Interesting...I am going to just email the NPC and hopefully someone will be able to help us out! I will post the email reply when they respond...It seems odd that Beta Gamma would be on the wiki page because if they were previously DSE that would mean they were local. Maybe more DSE chapters became Beta Gamma's? Or did the yearbook make it seem like Beta Gamma was in the NPC when it actually meant DSE? The person who posted that on the wiki page just could have been mistaken?

Well, I am super curious! So I will go right to the source!

badgeguy 02-25-2013 11:57 AM

The wiki page stated that there were six locals, including beta gamma that became members, but yeah, it's odd.
When you did out updates will be appreciated. Thanks.

nyapbp 02-25-2013 12:27 PM

NPC did have a few Associate Members early on, but this one doesn't ring a bell. I have a list somewhere taken from all the NPC reports that were in the Arrows. I'll try to find it and see.

DubaiSis 02-25-2013 12:43 PM

A yearbook making a mistake on a sorority's status doesn't seem unlikely to me at all. How many articles do we read here where the school paper has completely mangled the process, the lingo, etc.? Beta Gamma might have been on the panhellenic council, and the writer confused the term with NPC. I think a lot schools that have both NPC and locals allow the locals (probably prefer it actually) to be represented on the council, whatever it's called there.

nyapbp 02-26-2013 07:24 AM

Beta Gamma

I checked my list of NPC Delegate reports and I can't find it ever being admitted. I concur with DubaiSis.
Quote:

Originally Posted by DubaiSis (Post 2205399)
A yearbook making a mistake on a sorority's status doesn't seem unlikely to me at all. How many articles do we read here where the school paper has completely mangled the process, the lingo, etc.? Beta Gamma might have been on the panhellenic council, and the writer confused the term with NPC. I think a lot schools that have both NPC and locals allow the locals (probably prefer it actually) to be represented on the council, whatever it's called there.

mama3delta 02-27-2013 03:32 PM

There was never a BG in the NPC or the AES.

badgeguy 02-27-2013 04:08 PM

I think all the confusion is based solely on the information as stated in Wikipedia on the NPC:
"After much work on the part of NPC and AES, on November 12, 1947, the six AES sororities were unanimously accepted as associate members of NPC. At the same time, five other sororities were also admitted, including Beta Gamma at University of Colorado. In December 1951, the six sororities became full members of NPC."

I guess the real question is who wrote this and why? Was there a moment in 1947 in which some "ex" member sororities possibly located at Kent State or another college seek admission into the NPC or AES as locals?

I know that there used to be a National Council of local societies of which I do not know what happened to that org or those groups...

Maybe, if the above information is incorrect someone would seek Wikipedia for a change. That may clear things up.

I do like this kind of "sleuthing" though as it usually leads to learning about other societies....

nyapbp 02-27-2013 04:45 PM

Here is an excerpt from the Pi Phi delegate's report of the 1947 meeting:
(The names were in Greek and I typed them)

After reviewing the entire situation calmly, with no feeling of "pressure," and with a deep consciousness of the democratic right of NPC to remain the type of group which it had been for the more than fifty years during which it had built up international recognition for leadership and service, NPC, by unanimous votes in all cases, admitted to associate membership Alpha Epsilon Phi, Phi Sigma Sigma, Delta Phi Epsilon, Sigma Delta Tau and Theta Phi Alpha and granted associate membership to Alpha Sigma Alpha, Alpha Sigma Tau, Delta Sigma Epsilon, Pi Kappa Sigma, Sigma Sigma Sigma and Theta Sigma Upsilon, contingent in each case, upon the elimination by June I, 1948, of all chapters on campuses not meeting NPC educational rating requirements and of all dual memberships involving NPC fraternities.

Beta Gamma was not one of the other five sororities admitted.

badgeguy 02-27-2013 04:54 PM

Ok, that settles it....now to get the wiki page updated so as not to have incorrect data....

BG

badgeguy 02-27-2013 04:55 PM

I would like to know however who wrote that blurb ad where did they get "Beta Gamma at the University of Colorado." As there never was a Beta Gamma sorority at UC...there was a Beta gamma fraternity........hmmm

pas 03-02-2013 10:01 PM

The NPC emailed me back. All they wrote was "Thank you for reaching out to the National Panhellenic Conference. Please visit the NPC website for some history information here: https://www.npcwomen.org/resources/p...Friendship.pdf.

Also, based on our historical review we could not find information regarding Beta Gamma. Theta Upsilon affiliated with Delta Zeta in 1962. Iota Alpha Pi became an associated member of NPC in 1955, then became an active member in 1957 but withdrew in 1977 due to diminished membership."

So it seems that Beta Gamma was a weird mistake. Maybe the wiki page editor meant a chapter of a sorority named Beta Gamma?