GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Lambda Chi Alpha (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   RIP Tom Earp (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=247643)

GammaZeta 03-03-2021 09:38 PM

RIP Tom Earp

Sadly, Tom passed 3/3/2021.

In ZAX forever brother....

navane 03-03-2021 09:42 PM

Oh no!!! Thank you for letting us know. :(:(:(

PKT4LIFE 03-03-2021 09:49 PM

I was just thinking about him this past weekend. Prayers.

Titchou 03-03-2021 09:50 PM

How sad! I was wondering how he was doing....

carnation 03-03-2021 10:03 PM

He loved Lambda Chi so much.

Tridentia 03-03-2021 10:39 PM

Sad news.
So sorry to hear.

honeychile 03-03-2021 11:02 PM

:(

Such a loyal alumnus. May he be blessed with peace.

John 03-03-2021 11:41 PM

Sad to hear of Tom's passing.

Tom was a long-time GCer (just over 20 years). I remember way back in the early days of GC Tom often referring to me as 'John, my HAL.' Not certain but I always figured that was a reference to HAL from the 2001 A Space Odyssey book/movie. Being a techie / computer geek myself, I liked the sound of it. I thought HAL = hardware access layer, but just now learned in terms of the book, Wikipedia reports: "HAL (Heuristically Programmed ALgorithmic Computer) is a sentient HAL/AL 9000-series computer (or artificial general intelligence)." Thanks for the memory, Tom, I smile when I think of it.

Also learned long ago on GC that Tom was a descendant of Wyatt Earp. I found out only after doing some searching on GC (years ago) to learn why another GCer referred to him as Tombstone. Thought maybe a younger GCer was taking shots at an older GCer. But turns out it was a reference to the 'Gunfight at the O.K. Corral' in Tombstone, Arizona where several members of the Earp family were among the lawmen side.

I very vaguely recall reading on GC, also long ago, where another GCer shared a family story how one of his ancestors helped Billy the Kid evade capture from Wyatt Earp's lawmen. Their ancestor covered Billy the Kid with a sort of tarp then they dumped a trailer of horse manure on top, hiding Billy the Kid just long enough for Wyatt Earp's lawmen to pass by on their chase through town. And here on GC were the descendants chatting together about it, which I thought was so interesting to see. I wonder if that discussion is still on GC.

Well, just wanted to share those few thoughts & memories related to Tom.

Rest In Peace, Tom Earp.

PGD-GRAD 03-04-2021 07:36 AM

Tom’s passing made me reflect on just how POWERFUL the written word is—especially here and not in one word “Tweets” or single emojis.

Although the vast majority of us never met or knew Tom personally, we established a bond with Tom that no doubt sustained him through the last years of his life. We bestowed humanity upon Tom with replies, comments and humor. Even when we didn’t agree, we were kind and understanding.
Perhaps it’s because SO MANY of us are from the same era as Tom, and we realize the power of the written word.

While most of us will never meet in person, let’s never forget the value of our little site here. Sure, we dispense information and advice, but we also comfort and boost each other up.

May we continue to give each other a venue to connect with REAL people. And may Tom find his “forever home”....

andthen 03-04-2021 08:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PGD-GRAD (Post 2483763)
Tom’s passing made me reflect on just how POWERFUL the written word is—especially here and not in one word “Tweets” or single emojis.

Although the vast majority of us never met or knew Tom personally, we established a bond with Tom that no doubt sustained him through the last years of his life. We bestowed humanity upon Tom with replies, comments and humor. Even when we didn’t agree, we were kind and understanding.
Perhaps it’s because SO MANY of us are from the same era as Tom, and we realize the power of the written word.

While most of us will never meet in person, let’s never forget the value of our little site here. Sure, we dispense information and advice, but we also comfort and boost each other up.

May we continue to give each other a venue to connect with REAL people. And may Tom find his “forever home”....

You summed things up so well.

RIP Tom, based on some of the other posts it sounded like he was dealing with some significant challenges. You're now free from what ailed you in this life.

ASTalumna06 03-04-2021 11:08 AM

RIP Tom. You will be sorely missed here on GC!

33girl 03-04-2021 12:15 PM

Rest In Peace, Tom. Gooey buns forever!

3DGator 03-04-2021 12:27 PM

God bless and keep you. RIP

Cheerio 03-04-2021 05:27 PM

Thanks for all your football talk, Tom.
You were, and will continue to be, missed.
At least you got to see your KC Chiefs win SB54.

R.I.P. to a great GCer. :(

Kevin 03-04-2021 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John (Post 2483758)
Sad to hear of Tom's passing. RIP, Tom.

I posted some additional thoughts/memories in the Thoughts and Prayers for Tom Earp thread.

He didn't have internet access, so I printed that thread and mailed it to him.