GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Greek Life (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Mother/Daughter Sisterhood Event (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=28391)

colourvive 01-13-2003 07:08 PM

Mother/Daughter Sisterhood Event

I am the Sisterhood Chair, for a Local Sorority and I am looking for ideas for a Mother/Daughter Sisterhood event - or something similar. My only concern with this type of event is the sisters whose mothers are not in town, and unable to make it. I was wondering how other sororities deal with this issue. Also, since we don't have an official house, location is tricky. If anyone has any ideas they can offer, it would be greatly appreciated!

Colourvive

DaffyKD 01-13-2003 09:07 PM

Do you have alums in the area that can "adopt" the out of town girls?

DaffyKD

ksig600 01-13-2003 10:28 PM

How about a formal tea at a local restaurant or botanical garden? You could pair up the girls that don't have moms nearby with the girls that have moms present. It would be kinda of like a cross between taking a friend home for the holidays and rush.

shadokat 01-14-2003 09:54 AM

While we have a house, we always have a mother/daughter brunch every spring near the end of the semester, kind of for mother's day. It's always a HUGE hit. We have it in this really nice room in the building that houses the cafeteria on campus. We have the campus dining cater it, and it ends up being pretty decent. You have to be careful if you have it on campus, because often times you can't bring outside food on campus. But a tea or a brunch are always GREAT ideas. And don't forget to get pretty favors for the mom's!

EGDeepher 01-14-2003 11:42 AM

We have a parents day every year. For our sisters who's parents are out of town and can not make it they can bring a close friend and they are also adopted by either their big/little's family or their best friends's. My sister Regina had two families last year because both her best friends parents adopted her.

ASUGPhiB 01-15-2003 03:11 PM

Mother/Daughter Weekend

I was in charge of the Mother/Daughter Weekend thing last year and we have a huge weekend event with our moms. This past year it got screwed up a little because there was this Fraternity's Philanthropy that was the same weekend and we have one it twice in a row so, our girls couldn’t miss it.

But for ideas. The original plan was to have lunch somewhere probably at a nice resort and then go see Cinderella with our mom’s. And then on Sunday have a casual breakfast at a restaurant. The Sunday event has to be early because a lot of mom’s fly in. We ended up renting a room and having dinner and then playing a bunko game. It turned out really well. I also made candels for all the mom's/daughter's and found a sweet poems that laid on the table when they got there. There were tons of prizes too. Then on Sunday we went to a resort and had a buffet brunch.

In my chapter everyone is welcome to come but, normally only the girls with mom/grandmas that live here or come into town do. I like the idea of pairing a girl with an alumnae but, I am, not quite sure if that would work because each girl/mom has to pay for everything. Since our Mother/Daughter Weekend is new it is not yet added to our budget. In March/April this will be our third year doing it.

I also developed the first Father/Daughter Weekend for my chapter. SO, let me know if you need any suggestions.

LeslieAGD 01-15-2003 07:22 PM

About a year and a half ago, my chapter held a Mother/Daughter Tea. We held it in our student union and it was a big hit. My suggestion is to set it up with plenty of advance notice so that sisters whose mothers (or other relatives) want to come can make travel plans.

rayray 01-17-2003 02:26 AM

We also have done a mother/daughter tea...its actually become an annual event now for us. We plan it months and months in advance that way the moms and sometimes dad know to plan plan accordingly.

what we do is each family within our sorority will take on a table My fam...Angel fam had 3 tables and decorated it very angely with candles and that had decorated candle holders with our names on it. and we supplied the tea and cups and pots.
It was really cute to see all the different tables

We also had a slide show with pictures throughout the semester and sang "My Girl" but said "My mom"

...so fun and cute:)