GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Greek Life (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Having trouble hanging out with fraternity brothers? (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=132842)

the_greek 03-04-2013 02:03 PM

Having trouble hanging out with fraternity brothers?

I just moved into my fraternity this semester and I am finding it really fucking awkward to hang out with some of my brothers, just because i have nothing to say. i am good friends with a lot of them, but some are eh. I guess I did not know my brothers well enough before i moved in and I am really trying to make the best of this. Did anyone else feel the same way or have some way to make it better? Was anyone ever introverted joining a fraternity?

MysticCat 03-04-2013 02:10 PM

Are you expecting answers different from the ones you received in the other three threads you started?

KillarneyRose 03-04-2013 02:18 PM

I think every new member initially feels uncomfortable in the house. I remember after I pledged, we were all encouraged to come by and hang out at the house but I felt shy about doing so at first. My advice to you is to just stick it out because you will eventually start to feel more comfortable. Remember, they wouldn't given you a bid if they didnt want you there!

the_greek 03-04-2013 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MysticCat (Post 2206451)
Are you expecting answers different from the ones you received in the other three threads you started?

Was hoping haha

adpiucf 03-04-2013 03:32 PM

As with the other threads where you've expressed the same sentiments, the answer is the same: you have to give it time and you have to make an effort to get to know them. Remember that you aren't going to like or bond with everyone; but this is true no matter what type of organization you join. Friendships evolve slowly over time. Give it time, get involved, and keep a good attitude. Know that there are going to be a few or many people you don't care for. Being "brothers" doesn't mean instant BFFs: it just means you share membership in the same organization and have respect for one another as fellow members. Good luck. Log off the computer and call up some of the pledges or brothers to invite them out and get to know them.

pshsx1 03-04-2013 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the_greek (Post 2206449)
I just moved into my fraternity this semester and I am finding it really fucking awkward to hang out with some of my brothers, just because i have nothing to say. i am good friends with a lot of them, but some are eh. I guess I did not know my brothers well enough before i moved in and I am really trying to make the best of this. Did anyone else feel the same way or have some way to make it better? Was anyone ever introverted joining a fraternity?

If you're bitching and moaning this much without putting any effort forward other than repeatedly asking complete strangers on the internet, then drop out. Obviously you're loving this little pity party you've created for yourself that no one else is buying into.

We've told you over and over how we feel. Reposting isn't going to get a different response aside from "Fck off."

You're going to hit one hell of a harsh reality when you land your first big boy job and everyone from the CEO to the janitor "for some reason" doesn't want to be your friend.