GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Sorority Recruitment (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=217)
-   -   University of Texas- Austin Rush (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=98566)

33girl 08-10-2008 10:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Southerngirl55 (Post 1694176)
Let's say a PNM LOVES XYZ ...and their colors are...Orange and White. Would it be a good or bad idea to wear those colors during rush? If bad, which colors would be OK to wear and not attract negative attention? I heard solid dresses are the best bet.

Well, some colors are commoner than others and hard to avoid. if you love Theta, don't be afraid to wear a black dress with gold trim. If you love KKG, don't be afraid to wear a dark blue dress with a light blue print - if those are the outfits you look the best in.

But if you love KD - don't wear green and white. Only green and white. For every single day of rush. :p Moderation is the key. But if you try to avoid every group's colors, you'll wind up nude.

breathesgelatin 08-10-2008 10:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 33girl (Post 1694268)
Well, some colors are commoner than others and hard to avoid. if you love Theta, don't be afraid to wear a black dress with gold trim. If you love KKG, don't be afraid to wear a dark blue dress with a light blue print - if those are the outfits you look the best in.

But if you love KD - don't wear green and white. Only green and white. For every single day of rush. :p Moderation is the key. But if you try to avoid every group's colors, you'll wind up nude.

LOL, unless you wear, as you "suggested" in another thread, wear magenta and puce. And take the armadillo as your mascot. :D

Southerngirl55 08-10-2008 11:16 PM

Haha "wear magenta and puce. And take the armadillo as your mascot. "... I guess I can't wear that outfit anymore, huh? Just kidding...

Well I have heard "obvious color outfits" might annoy actives but it can also be a hint that you'd love to join their chapter!

If a girl wore (for example) a red and yellow dress... Would it annoy all the other sororities except Chi Omega? It seems like it might hurt instead of help. I have searched through some threads and am still debating one of my outfits for this reason.

33girl 08-10-2008 11:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Southerngirl55 (Post 1694303)
If a girl wore (for example) a red and yellow dress... Would it annoy all the other sororities except Chi Omega? It seems like it might hurt instead of help. I have searched through some threads and am still debating one of my outfits for this reason.

Yeah, that's a color combo that I think is on the line - I would skip that one.

Some sororities/members would find that type of thing flattering, but others would find it pushy and/or creepy. Unless you know the majority of the chapter members well enough to know their minds (which of course you don't) better safe than sorry.

KSUViolet06 08-10-2008 11:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Southerngirl55 (Post 1694303)

I could be wrong, but I think that there are so many PNMs at Texas that I doubt every sorority would think "OMG that girl sooo wants to be a Chi O and that's soooo annoying!"

I think they'd just think of it as what it is-- a cute red and yellow dress.

Of course this is me coming from a school that's not a Texas by any means.

Southerngirl55 08-11-2008 12:37 AM

I might also considering waiting until sophomore year to rush... would that be a terrible idea?

I'd like to get a feel of the school my first year before getting too involved.

But I heard rush is SO competitive for sophomores.... Does anyone know of any sophomores that had a successful rush at UT?

irishpipes 08-11-2008 12:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Southerngirl55 (Post 1694390)
I might also considering waiting until sophomore year to rush... would that be a terrible idea?

Yes.

KSUViolet06 08-11-2008 12:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Southerngirl55 (Post 1694390)

I'd like to get a feel of the school my first year before getting too involved.

Waiting isn't a good idea. Texas is competitive, and it is not to your advantage to wait until next year. Your best chance of getting a bid is as a freshman.

Southerngirl55 08-11-2008 12:56 AM

That is true... So chances just go down the longer you wait? I am guessing juniors and seniors don't have a chance at all. Is rushing as a junior even heard of at UT? I thought sophomores still went with the freshmen quota. I will definitely rush this year, but I wonder if any sophomores make the cut?

KSUViolet06 08-11-2008 01:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Southerngirl55 (Post 1694402)
That is true... So chances just go down the longer you wait? I am guessing juniors and seniors don't have a chance at all. Is rushing as a junior even heard of at UT? I thought sophomores still went with the freshmen quota. I will definitely rush this year, but I wonder if any sophomores make the cut?

I don't think it's impossible for a sophomore to get a bid, but like many of the other competitive schools, she would have to have good friends in houses, a stellar GPA, recs and support letters galore, in addition to being a leader on campus in other organizations. It's definitely not the norm.

southern greek 08-21-2008 11:22 AM

Convocation for UT Rush was last night. 796 girls are now registered. Good luck to all!!
First round started today at 9:30 a.m. 14 houses to go to today. Yikes!

srmom 08-21-2008 02:14 PM

Yay! Let the games begin!!

My son and all his friends are setting up shop at a local eatery where they can sit on the patio and watch all the lovely girls go by!

Good Luck Girls!!!!!

tinydancer 08-21-2008 02:17 PM

Good luck, Texas girls! How I wish I could be there to see it. (and I wish our chapter was still there.)

YouTee 08-21-2008 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by southern greek (Post 1694040)
Actually, according to UT President's newsletter, 91% of this year's incoming freshman class came from from the top 10%. That is why UT hates the "automatic admit for top 10%" rule. Then they have 5% reserved for out of state/foreign students. So you can see that it was extremely competitive to get in if you're not in the top 10% this year. Family connections don't seem to cut it like they used to. Now it's a combination of class rank, test scores, essays and letters of recommendations--as well as figuring out which specific college-i.e. natural science, education, business, etc would be the easiest route to gain admission. Very rare to see anyone out of the top 15% get in from our area.

Also, don't forget about all the highly qualified students from top private schools which don't rank their graduates. They cannot take part in the top 10% rule, so they are included in the small percentage of "non top 10%-ers" who manage to get into UT.

The current UT student is one smart cookie indeed. Which means most of the girls going through rush are going to be quite accomplished.

EE-BO 08-21-2008 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YouTee (Post 1702523)
Also, don't forget about all the highly qualified students from top private schools which don't rank their graduates. They cannot take part in the top 10% rule, so they are included in the small percentage of "non top 10%-ers" who manage to get into UT.

That is correct. The way it worked for us (and still does post-Hopwood ruling) is that you are automatically in UT provided you achieve a certain class ranking within your own school plus have a certain SAT score. It is a sliding scale, so if you have a higher SAT score- you can get away with being in a lower percentile in your class.

About 20% of my high school went to UT when I graduated, and that figure is about the same today on average.