GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Social (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Dry Social Ideas (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=59885)

Dolo 11-22-2004 06:19 PM

Dry Social Ideas

we cant have alcohol at our socials so we usually do things like handcuffed bowling, capture the flag, go to a cider mill for cider, doughnuts, and a hay ride, ice skating, roller skating. the thing is that these events are getting old and i looked through the ideas already on here and most of them included drinking so i was wondering if there were any ideas out there for DRY events? thanks for any help

Dolo
Delta Sigma Phi
Epsilon Tau
Grand Valley State University

PhoenixAzul 11-22-2004 06:28 PM

Maybe hire a swing dance instructor/ballroom dancing instructor to teach the group how to dance...mix up the ladies and men as dance partners and learn something new.

aephi alum 11-22-2004 06:44 PM

How about a social where you serve mocktails? Smoothies, virgin daiquiris, etc.

Or a games night? Get some munchies and soda, and set up some board games, maybe some word games like Taboo, and/or a few decks of cards.

Xigirl332 01-27-2005 04:45 PM

I am with you

I am with you, we are required to be dry also. some popluar events for us are tie social where you choose your date by picking a tie from a pile and than we have a formal meal. Another is a white trash trailer bash. Every dresses as trashy as possible, and we have chettos, hotdogs, and other "trashy foods" and do things like toliet paper bowing, have arm wresting, and then of couse a few rounds of the famou jello wresting, which can be contriversal, but tons of fun.

Taualumna 02-16-2005 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by PhoenixAzul
Maybe hire a swing dance instructor/ballroom dancing instructor to teach the group how to dance...mix up the ladies and men as dance partners and learn something new.
This sounds good.....you can also add mocktails or mocktinis to the mix to make it look like an old night club :)

winneythepooh7 02-16-2005 06:09 PM

One of my sister's recently planned an event here in NYC where a nutritionist was having a class on how to make some healthy foods, followed by a yoga class.

I also enjoy just going out to eat, as well as for coffee.

winneythepooh7 02-16-2005 06:11 PM

Pool is also fun, along with maybe sightseeing local touristy-stuff, SHOPPING!, hiking, a roadtrip............

KSUViolet06 02-17-2005 12:17 AM

Poker is a good non alcoholic idea.

STL Kappa 02-17-2005 12:54 AM

Why not celebrate the fact that you're dry?! We just had a Prohibition party... which was SO much fun. Everyone got into the costumes whether they were gangsters or flapper girls...

LightBulb 02-17-2005 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by STL Kappa
Prohibition party
Cute name... great theme!

DCDisney 05-17-2005 02:37 PM

a few events held last year

A few events held last year, with the sorority as the host, and inviting a fraternity included ...

1) a hypnotist show (held in a university meeting room) ... the fraternity members liked it so much, they made very positive comments to the Greek Life office

2) attending a local carnival that was themed for Halloween

3) going ice skating in a city's downtown ice rink, having hot chocoloate, etc.

All three received postive feedback from those that attended.

Even if inviting a fraternity to something they know will be "Dry", they ended up having fun. Also, one of the frats invited was the frat that the sorority was going to be matched up with for Greek Sing, so the non-alcoholic event served as a nice ice breaker to upcoming Greek Sing practices.

Little E 05-17-2005 04:14 PM

Depending on how big of a crowd you have (and money) our school used to rent the movie theater and have a midnight showing of a current run movie. But this might have cost a ton I'm not too sure...It was fun tho, we packed the theater!

wsulindz 10-18-2005 06:07 PM

We've had a few dry socials this year. Ours also have to be "educational" because of sanctions. We had a luau with Kappa Sigs and we all dressed up in Hawaiian attire. We had a BYOB "Bring Your Own Banana" with DUs and we learned how to properly use a condom. Next month we're having a formal etiquette dinner with AGRs.

InHocYall 12-04-2005 05:09 PM

Bowling, capture the flag. You should get a clown and a petting zoo as well. Completely dry social events, rough.
But if it's all you have to work with sometimes we'll invite a sorority over cook them a good dinner and have an afternoon mixer, I suppose you could do it without cocktails. Virgin drinks are too high school prom. Just get bottles of Pellegrino with dinner or soda and whatever elsle you want.

Sammy_Pebbles 04-24-2006 02:43 PM

movie idea

another idea instead of renting a theater might be to rent a projector instead. go to a local hotel and ask for some sheets, they stock up on old sheets for some reason usually. fasten them all together and if your house is situated as such hang it and set up the projector to just show a movie where everyone can sit on the front lawn or across the street or whatever. i know some Sams that do that at UC and there is always a huge turnout.